What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should St George Illawarra end their joint venture?

Should St George Illawarra end their joint venture?

• Total voters

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Someone should remind Muzby of the millions of debt Illawarra accumulated which put SGI into financial duress in the first place.
They could remind me of that, however I’d probably remind them that the debt was to the NRL, which resulted in operating cash to keep us running and this debt has since been paid out..

I’d probably also remind them that St George leagues club slashed their funding to the JV by over $1m per season, all whist keeping the leagues club itself in healthy profit..

It all leads back to one particular source of the problem..

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
They could remind me of that, however I’d probably remind them that the debt was to the NRL, which resulted in operating cash to keep us running and this debt has since been paid out..

I’d probably also remind them that St George leagues club slashed their funding to the JV by over $1m per season, all whist keeping the leagues club itself in healthy profit..

Correct: the former Labor government’s so-called “pokie tax” really bit hard, huh?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Correct: the former Labor government’s so-called “pokie tax” really bit hard, huh?
It did..

But the reduction I was talking about happened 3 years after the tax changes..

Why did they drop their contributions so heavily that far down the track?

The leagues club itself remained profitable whilst the footy club suffered..

But speaking of tax changes, I wonder where were the other sources of income that St George had to cover this loss?

The tax had been on the cards for a while, why hadn’t they diversified?

Both cases just sound like really poor management to me..

TruSaint

Referee
Interesting discussion, but won't happen.

In fact, survival for the current JV should be paramount. Gordon has a job on his hands to turn things around on and off the field.

The NRL are hell bent on reducing the number of Sydney clubs. The JV was sold to us on this basis, and the club decided wrongly or rightly to form a new identity with the only other club that would fit, and it was the Steelers.

At the time, I was not for it, but didnt take me long to embrace the concept as a large part of our history, logo, etc, was maintained, and I never really saw Illawarra as a rival.

Importantly, our young fan base only knows St george Illawarra Dragons.

Trying to apportion blame to one side or the other serves no purpose. Its where we go from here.

Willow

Assistant Moderator

lol. That's not what happened.

Dorsai

Juniors
I think it’s feasible to remove the Illawarra from the club and continue in the NRL alone. Illawarra returns to be a feeder club.

The JV has done nothing but brought mediocrity to the St George brand. The current ownership farce gives us the debacle we currently face, another lost season looking at bottom 4.

Break the JV, return the St George Dragons back to where they belong and bring some professional management into the mix.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I think it’s feasible to remove the Illawarra from the club and continue in the NRL alone. Illawarra returns to be a feeder club.

The JV has done nothing but brought mediocrity to the St George brand. The current ownership farce gives us the debacle we currently face, another lost season looking at bottom 4.

Break the JV, return the St George Dragons back to where they belong and bring some professional management into the mix.
You realise if the JV does get broken, the NRL will award the licence down south, right?

The best chance St George have of playing first grade is with the help of Illawarra..

Be grateful, not resentful, towards your south coast brethren..

Dorsai

Juniors
You realise if the JV does get broken, the NRL will award the licence down south, right?

The best chance St George have of playing first grade is with the help of Illawarra..

Be grateful, not resentful, towards your south coast brethren..

In your dreams. The venture gets broken, it will go to the only club with a stake in it, that is the Dragons.

Wake up to yourself.

St Georgio

Juniors
I rather die than now, making Cameron Smith the Goat is like saying Reg Gasnier, John Raper, Ken Kearney, Norm Proven, Ian Walsh are nothing but simple fart vapour in the Air!
The NRL are High on Ice!!!
f**k the merge!!!

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
In your dreams. The venture gets broken, it will go to the only club with a stake in it, that is the Dragons.

Wake up to yourself.
It’s only a licence, the NRL can award it where they want..

There are already too many teams in Sydney.. If the NRL didn’t give the licence to the south coast, why would they give the licence to Perth or a second Brisbane team, rather than the least successful Sydney club?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
You realise if the JV does get broken, the NRL will award the license down south, right?
Firstly, you actually don't know this.

Secondly, the JV you speak of is already broken. It was renewed last year. It is now a St George-WIN JV.

Thirdly, commercial licenses tend to goes where the money is.

And finally, you're assuming the St George Dragons won't be based in Wollongong. That is... if we haven't already moved in.

Latest posts