What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should the Dragons chase Blake Feguson for depth ?

MightyRedV04

Juniors
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...owing-stuart-out-of-sharks-20100702-zu0x.html

Ferguson following Stuart out of Sharks

Cronulla's talented youngster says it is time to move on, writes Jamie Pandaram.

Boom rookie Blake Ferguson is quitting Cronulla because of the club's weaknesses on and off the field, and has activated a clause in his contract that should coach Ricky Stuart leave, he too could walk. Ferguson no longer believes the Sharks can win a premiership and after Stuart announced he would resign at the end of the season, the winger decided his future lay elsewhere.

The 20-year-old will play out the remainder of the season with Cronulla before joining another NRL side, and his management is now seeking interest from rival teams.

Stuart was instrumental in Ferguson's development, but aside from the coaching shake-up the club's uneasy financial position is another factor in his decision, along with his desire to play in the centres.

''I want to win a premiership, and also with the things going on in the club, the uncertainty, I just want to be in a stable place where I can concentrate on winning a title, that is what is in my heart,'' Ferguson told the Herald. ''It is nothing personal, I do have an emotional attachment to the club. I just want to win.''

The move by Ferguson has caused a massive stir at the Sharks, with incoming coach Shane Flanagan storming out of a meeting with the player after being told his intentions this week.

Ferguson is viewed as one of the brightest prospects in the game, just pipped by Jamal Idris as the 2009 Dally M rookie of the year. He also turned heads in the Indigenous All Stars game when he ran down Israel Folau, and was the key to Cronulla breaking a 13-game losing streak earlier this year with two brilliant individual tries against Parramatta in the 11-0 victory.

Cronulla - who recently fought off bankruptcy - do not want to lose one of their most exciting players particularly with sponsors hard to come by, a record of just five wins this season, and the worst attack in the league, but Ferguson rejected the idea he was abandoning the club that gave him a start.

''If it wasn't for Ricky Stuart I wouldn't be here, he saw me at my first trial and said he wanted to be a part of my development and he has helped me through all the grades,'' Ferguson said. ''Now he's going. I have thought about this long and hard, it wasn't a snap decision. I just want to open a new chapter in my career, continue my growth and play representative football. I thought I put myself in the best position this year, but it's hard from the club perspective because we're not travelling that well on the field.

''I will stay until the end of the year, I will do my job the best I can, do what I love and that is scoring tries.''

Ferguson has been frustrated on the wing, despite scoring 13 tries since his debut in round one last year. ''I want to use my promise at centre, that hasn't been touched,'' Ferguson said. ''I've got a creative side, I'm not just a finisher, so I'm looking to do that at my next club.''

Ferguson signed a contract extension with the Sharks last year that was to keep him in the Shire until the end of 2012, but he inserted the Stuart clause because of a series of problems the club experienced on and off the field.

Ferguson's manager and uncle is the former NRL star-turned-boxer Solomon Haumono, who praised the youngster for his bold move. Haumono is married to Ferguson's aunty Margaret, and the pair runs a sports management and mentoring company.

''As his family and his managers we stand behind him, we want him to develop and we've got his best interests at heart,'' Haumono said. ''We have moved through this process professionally, we've done everything by the book, and nothing about this is personal.

''Cronulla needed to call upon youngsters last year and Blake stood tall, nobody could question his effort, he has shown how strong a kid he is. I am proud because throughout this Blake has acted in a manner beyond his years.''

Godz Illa

Coach
Your thread title has created a very tenuous link betweren the Dragons and what otherwise is a completely irrelevant article.

Anyway, no we shouldn't. He's obviously a bit up himself and appears after more than we can offer - i.e big money and a starting centre spot. Based on his insipid form this year, he deserves neither.

MightyRedV04

Juniors
Your thread title has created a very tenuous link betweren the Dragons and what otherwise is a completely irrelevant article.

Godz maybe you didn't understand the word SHOULD , that in my eyes gives no indication that St George Illawarra has or has not even thought about Blake Ferguson. I was just asking a question whether people thought he would be a good depth buy as he has good potential, though I do think he would rather want a full time weekly position within the team he actually signs with.

As there are quite a few teams that may not need wingers next year, which team would be more than likely to sign him now ?

big_dell

Juniors
he wouldn't come to be a back up
he is young and would be looking to cement a starting spot
perhaps the broncos with the loss of winterstein and folau

konk4

Juniors
No thanks. In fact would like to see the Dragons have a rule in place. Anyone who ever plays for the scum is disqualified from ever being allowed to wear the Red V.

dragondad

First Grade
There goes Beau Scott! (Yes, I know he returned to us but he did wear the Sharks jersey).

MightyRedV04

Juniors
There goes Lance Thompson also back in the fold at the Dragons after wearing a scum jersey.

Which side does everyone think he will go to now , I can't see many teams needing him next year in their full strength NRL sides which is why I asked for depth, he is young and may need to do the waiting game to secure a spot wherever he goes.

MightyRedV04

Juniors
Cooper, Gasnier, Nightingale, Morris, Stanley, Tagive, Faifai-Loa, Lett, Emmett.

Ive heard Lett and Emmett may be going elsewhere next year, Tagive needs to prove himself but may ask for a release now Gasnier has arrived home, you could maybe also add Beau Scott and Matt Prior to the above list of backs at the club.

Wobbygong

First Grade
He's not talented enough to play for the dragons. So no I don't think we need Ferguson. Pretty bad for the scum I mean this is the kid they were pinning all their hopes on together with their front rowers and the bloke takes a massive dump on the club from a great height, makes me feel good to watch the scum suffer even more.

The sharks are nothing but a basket case of a club, that should have been gone 5 years ago, someone should do them a favour and humanely put them down.

Last edited:

konk4

Juniors
He should go to the Bulldogs. What a disgrace of a club they have become. Hardly the " family club " any more. They are the New Parasite Roosters, living of the time and efforts of other clubs. Do they even look within their own ranks anymore. Are Idris and Barber juniors ?, if so other than those two are there any others in their squad.

In 2008 they were last. In 2010 they will finish in the bottom 3 or 4. This shows that 2009 was just a massive over acheivement. Bottom 4 is where they belong. Ridiculous to paying 800K for that Hodkinson if those reports are true. Plus already poached Tandy and Keating and Tolman for next year. Greenburg is a wanker.

For example look at their team for tonights game. What a sh*thole of a club they have become. At least 13 of their 17 tonight were developed by other clubs. f**ken parasites.

1. Patten - Dragons
2. Turner - Storm
3. Morris - Dragons
4. Neuman - ?
5. Goodwin - Sharks
6. Barba
7. Kimmorley - Sharks
8. Hannant - Brisbane
9 Romelo - Penrith
10. Tandy - Storm
11. Idris
12. Ryan - Eels
13. Stagg - Brisbane

14. Paea - Dragons
15. Green - Sharks
16. Hodgson - Gold Coast
17. Wurburton -

RedVDave

First Grade
Can he play prop? If not then no then no thanks.

...Great player and a St. George junior but obviously not needed.

.....Plus he is obviously pretty bright for wanting out of Cronulla, can't say I blame him in the least.

Latest posts