What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should the Kangaroos Jersey be updated?

Should the kangaroos jersey be updated?

• Yes! Absolutely, but don't change the design too much

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Yes! A complete overhaul is Needed, throw the current desing out the window!

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • No, it's fine. Stick with tradition...

Votes: 50 74.6%
  • I don't really care

Votes: 5 7.5%

• Total voters

strong_latte

Juniors
Big Bunny said:
Like I already said, evolution is usually the end result of necessary changes rather than change for the sake of it. The original Kangaroo jersey was blue and maroon, it was also worn by 'Australasia' rather than Australia, despite the name on the map. So it had to be changed. The second jersey is one I'm fine with, but 75 years in the twin gold chevrons automatically relegates it to being of secondary nature. Tradition is built up over time and its something that can't grow when people neglect it freely.

Well the State jersey's had really changed for 100 years untill the 90's and for the most part any changes have been minimal. But I don't think the small tweaks have damaged the credibility of state tradition... do you?

strong_latte

Juniors
I think the wallabies are a pretty good example for what I mean. When Union went pro they wanted to update the games image and the wallabies jersey was part of that... the first change looked bloody dreadful, but what they've got now is far superior looking to their amature say designs:

EdenTuqiri.jpg

That ^ looks far better than this:
1991-photo7,0.jpg

Big Bunny

Juniors
strong_latte said:
Well the State jersey's had really changed for 100 years untill the 90's and for the most part any changes have been minimal. But I don't think the small tweaks have damaged the credibility of state tradition... do you?

And what good have they done? Seriously, if you want change then good luck to you, but I'm not buying in. It's just not ncessary. The slight changes to the Kangaroo and state jerseys over the years have very little to do with "tweaking them" and when it was, it was usually an abysmal failure. The designs were for the most part changed because it suited the various clothing manufacturers and because people like Classic clothing are very sloppy. Take a look at the changes Yakstorm wants, he's on the right track, because he wants to see the design fixed and not go down the sloppy track that the Wallabies did with their gold jerseys that slowly but surely became orange during the 1970's. Maybe you like change for the sake of it but there's very little logic to assist your line of reasoning.

Big Bunny

Juniors
strong_latte said:
I think the wallabies are a pretty good example for what I mean. When Union went pro they wanted to update the games image and the wallabies jersey was part of that... the first change looked bloody dreadful, but what they've got now is far superior looking to their amature say designs:

EdenTuqiri.jpg

That ^ looks far better than this:
1991-photo7,0.jpg

The modern shirt looks better for the simple fact that the orange jersey was only worn for about 20 years and it was never one of our nations official colours. Mate, the Wallaby jersey was crap to start with, the difference is that the Kangaroo jersey isn't. It doesn't need stars, it doesn't need armbands to set off all the bloody overpowering yellow and it doesn't need change for the sake of it.

strong_latte

Juniors
Big Bunny said:
Maybe you like change for the sake of it but there's very little logic to assist your line of reasoning.

You keep on insisting that I want change for the sake of change... I don't. The reason I want the Jersey updated a bit, is because I think the only part of the game that HASN'T progressed in the last 30 years is the international stage! It's gone backwards! Why not refresh the whole system, chop 4 rounds off both the NRL and ESL and make the TN as SERIOUS comp! and give the roo's a 21st century edition of their current jumper while they're at it! How about we stop living in the past? Because clinging to traditions hasn't done much good for international rugby league... it's great that it's hasn't changed and they're a dominant side, but who cares if international rugby league isn't taken seriously?

elBandido

Juniors
Slightly going off track,what about having the chevrons gold (I know we call it gold now but let's face it it's yellow)with a special ARL 100 years badge for the centenary/world cup year?

It would keep tradition but have an extra sense of grandour for a special year.

Big Bunny

Juniors
strong_latte said:
You keep on insisting that I want change for the sake of change... I don't. The reason I want the Jersey updated a bit, is because I think the only part of the game that HASN'T progressed in the last 30 years is the international stage! It's gone backwards! Why not refresh the whole system, chop 4 rounds off both the NRL and ESL and make the TN as SERIOUS comp! and give the roo's a 21st century edition of their current jumper while they're at it! How about we stop living in the past? Because clinging to traditions hasn't done much good for international rugby league... it's great that it's hasn't changed and they're a dominant side, but who cares if international rugby league isn't taken seriously?

No, you're right, my mistake. We should change the Kangaroo jersey to something that fits the seasonal trend for this summer. Maybe something with lightning bolts and aqua flanges, maybe even a set of blinkers on the back of the players shorts and a visual diaspora similar that which the Wests Tigers wear. I had no idea that the Kangaroo jersey's 75 years worth of tradition was holding back the international development of rugby league. Who knew that it was our outdated fashion sense that has kept the Poms from winning for the past 30 years? I had never thought about cutting the length of the ESL and NRL seasons, what a truly unique and stand out idea. I wonder why nobody on the international forum has suggested it before? I'm sure that the doubling in playing figures in England and the fulltime professional step the French are taking are all for nought when considering your fashion tips. Thankyou, I'm glad you're here.

strong_latte

Juniors
Big Bunny said:
No, you're right, my mistake. We should change the Kangaroo jersey to something that fits the seasonal trend for this summer. Maybe something with lightning bolts and aqua flanges, maybe even a set of blinkers on the back of the players shorts and a visual diaspora similar that which the Wests Tigers wear.

You're really not getting this whole "minor tweak" thing are you...

Have you seen the new GB kit? It's pretty much the same as the traditional one, only it looks more professional.

Big Bunny

Juniors
strong_latte said:
You're really not getting this whole "minor tweak" thing are you...

Have you seen the new GB kit? It's pretty much the same as the traditional one, only it looks more professional.

No, it doesn't. It looks different, it doesn't look bad but it's not really an improvement either. It's a ploy to sell more jerseys, nothing more. It's just like the mid week Kangaroo jersey was, just as the crap white umbro ones were and the crazy diamond shirts the Lions wore. Short term fads that most people don't care to remember.

Look, I'm really happy for you that you are sticking to your guns on such a minor issue, but face it, it doesn't matter. Jerseys should be designed to what the people want and traditional strips will outsell the flashy rubbishy ones EVERY TIME. I've designed jerseys and badges for Test teams, I base my opinion on first hand experience and on the experience of other designers and retailers, what do you base your notions on apart from personal preference?

LESStar58

Referee
I cant beleive this is even a topic!

The Kangaroos were the first Australian national sporting side to wear green and gold and the roos jersey has its own identity! It will never change!

strong_latte

Juniors
LESStar58 said:
I cant beleive this is even a topic!

The Kangaroos were the first Australian national sporting side to wear green and gold and the roos jersey has its own identity! It will never change!

??? Where'd you get that from? The Australia Cricket team was the first to adopt green and gold back in the 1890's! About 25 years before the kangaroo's.
And as I said earlier, it may not change AGAIN, but the current kangaroo's jersey is in fact the 4th incarnation of it... first it was just Blue or Maroon (depending on whether it was played in Sydney or Brisbane), then it was blue & maroon hoops, then it was green and gold hoops, and then they went to a Green with 2 gold V's to conserve material during the depression...

strong_latte

Juniors
Big Bunny said:
No, it doesn't. It looks different, it doesn't look bad but it's not really an improvement either. It's a ploy to sell more jerseys, nothing more. It's just like the mid week Kangaroo jersey was, just as the crap white umbro ones were and the crazy diamond shirts the Lions wore. Short term fads that most people don't care to remember.

Look, I'm really happy for you that you are sticking to your guns on such a minor issue, but face it, it doesn't matter. Jerseys should be designed to what the people want and traditional strips will outsell the flashy rubbishy ones EVERY TIME. I've designed jerseys and badges for Test teams, I base my opinion on first hand experience and on the experience of other designers and retailers, what do you base your notions on apart from personal preference?

You don't need to make stuff up to justify yourself. I don't really have a problem with people if they preferred it to stay the same... it's just that you were the most aggressive and outraged about the prospect of change, so I sorta felt the need to justify my position... but you just kept getting more outraged!
As I said, I know they probably won't ever change it, but personally I quite like the way the State of Origin jersey's have evolved over the years (not a fan of the 98 one mind you...) and wouldn't mind seeing something similar for the kangaroo's as the international scene slowly revitalizes... mind you, if we paste the pommies and kiwi's again this year, I fear people will just switch off to international league as usual.

out of the jerseys ive seen, i think the one they wore in 2002 when the Phillips logo on the sleeves with the white border looked the best. The ones were the blue phillips logo went against green didnt look too good at all. Same as when the TN logos were blacked out last year.

The design should stay the same, but still have the jersey made out the material the soo jerseys are made of. Since PSP isnt on the back of the jerseys, why dont they put the players names in gold/yellow on the back?

ucantseeme

Juniors
I prefer the ones they wore last year with the dark green full cotton jersey opposed to the one worn in the 2005 ANZAC test which looked almost aqua in polyester.

It may be a minor issue but still most if not all people in the RL community feel the Australian Jersey is sacrosanct, which is why is players kit isnt drenched in sponsorship as much as the club kits are. I understand the need to tweak the jersey every few years, thus the fact the Kangaroo jersey in my warddrobe is a 3/4 sleeve but you cant get them in stores anymore, but it should only be tweaked so far as no one really notices.

Sacrosanct means preserved by religious fear aginst desecration

yakstorm

First Grade
.rl
strong_latte said:
??? Where'd you get that from? The Australia Cricket team was the first to adopt green and gold back in the 1890's! About 25 years before the kangaroo's.
And as I said earlier, it may not change AGAIN, but the current kangaroo's jersey is in fact the 4th incarnation of it... first it was just Blue or Maroon (depending on whether it was played in Sydney or Brisbane), then it was blue & maroon hoops, then it was green and gold hoops, and then they went to a Green with 2 gold V's to conserve material during the depression...

The Australian cricket team was the first to use Green and Gold for team colours (1899 team lead by [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Joe Darling) with the green and gold incorporated into the cap. League however appears to have bene the second, with the decision made in 1924, and the acctual use in 1928.

Such history should not be forgotten.

International RL has had some shockers or jerseys, like this for GB in the early 90's:
gbjersey.jpg

Now that was meant to be the fashion of the time! Its cringeworthy! Whilst the Roo jersey may not always be the most 'fashionable' or 'current', it keeps a level of class and by leaving it as is, we don't have to worry about the above happening.
[/font]

strong_latte

Juniors
yakstorm said:
.rl

The Australian cricket team was the first to use Green and Gold for team colours (1899 team lead by [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Joe Darling) with the green and gold incorporated into the cap. League however appears to have bene the second, with the decision made in 1924, and the acctual use in 1928.

Such history should not be forgotten.

International RL has had some shockers or jerseys, like this for GB in the early 90's:
gbjersey.jpg

[/font]

^ THAT is exactly why I'm not advocating a major change! It's also the reason that I keep coming back to the way the SOO jersey's have changed.

rugged

Juniors
The polyester jersey was indeed a bit off on the colour, just like with some of the younger players' QLD jerseys they come off looking dark pink.

The super league Australian jersey was an abomination IMO.

The retro Australian jersey was really great and a good change.

I answered the poll as I didn't care, but thinking about the changes that can end up being bad, I would rather have voted for no change.

It's not like they play that many internationals and we get sick of the jersey.

UM, and how did the cricket become the first to wear green and gold when they actually wore white in 1890s? Don't think a hat counts really!