What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should the Newtown forum be joined with NSWRL forum

Should the forums be joined??

• Total voters

roopy

Referee
LU now has a few guys working on improving the coverage of the NSWRL (girvie and I). We are trying to make sure all Flegg and Premier League games are previewed and all scores are reported as promptly as possible.
As part of this - we are also trying to get the NSWRL forum working as well.

I think there would be much more discussion of Newtown topics if the topics were on a forum that was used daily by a dozen or more people.

The forum topic could read something like 'NSWRL - for discussion of all topics related to Newtown, Norths, Balmain, CC Rip and all other Premier League and Flegg sides'.

roopy

Referee
As an argument for this change - for about 18 months I worked to keep open an AMNRL forum.
In the end I got sick of trying to think up new topics to keep the section going, and I folded it into the International section.
Since that time we have had more Americans posting - and American topics get a wide range of views expressed - and I don't have to work at it to make it happen.
In short - discussion of the American scene has improved heaps.
I think we can make that happen with Newtown topics by getting the NSWRL section really working well.

Bluebag

Juniors
Why should we lose our forum to prop up the NSWRL site, it helps us with exposure of issues and events that would normally not be seen in the NSWRL forum which we were on originally.

What is being done in this forum to generate new posts from other clubs ie Jim Beam, Flegg etc.

What is the rationale behind this idea anyway.

roopy

Referee
Bluebag said:
Why should we lose our forum to prop up the NSWRL site, it helps us with exposure of issues and events that would normally not be seen in the NSWRL forum which we were on originally.

What is being done in this forum to generate new posts from other clubs ie Jim Beam, Flegg etc.

What is the rationale behind this idea anyway.
The rationale is to try to make one strong forum for the discussion of PL and Flegg (Jim Beam too - but we are not focused on that at the moment.) I think this will serve the purpose of everyone - but if Newtown people hate the idea - it won't happen.

If you look at the LU news service - we have got a new section for Jersey Flegg - and we have made the commitment to keep up to date ladders, previews of all games in Flegg and Premier League - and full scores for all games of Flegg and Premier League from this round.

I have also asked the moderators of all sections to copy threads from the team sites that have to do with Flegg and Premier League into the NSWRL section.

In short - we are trying to get things moving as best we can.

roopy

Referee
Bye the way - I made the poll viewable - so that i can see if regular users of the Newtown forum are voting one way or the other.
I did this because the votes of regular users obviously count for far more than 'drop-ins'.

greg

Juniors
I,m with Bluebag. Keep ours the way it is. With our history and tradition we deserve our own spot for all to see.

roopy

Referee
greg said:
I,m with Bluebag. Keep ours the way it is. With our history and tradition we deserve our own spot for all to see.
I understand you wanting your own forum - but would you be better served by being the major players in a forum where all games in PL and Flegg are discussed?
I think you would be - but it is a risk trying to make this happen.
Both forums have only 2000-3000 posts - so they are both really chost towns at present.
I wouldn't think a forum was working at all with less than 100-200 posts a week, minimum.

Spike

First Grade
I like the Newtown forum on its own. Its always had its own forum and no one ever complains about them. I say let them be

roopy

Referee
Spike said:
I like the Newtown forum on its own. Its always had its own forum and no one ever complains about them. I say let them be
I'm not trying to do damage to Newtown - I'm trying to get some really viable NSWRL discussion going by getting enough people in the one spot to make it happen.

greg

Juniors
I think you will find that contributors to each team forum pop up on other teams forums in regard various matters. The whole front row forum is well set out as it is with access to all teams and associated topics. I know your intention is good and not anti Newtown, but to myself, a mad bluebag, I feel our own forum site for all to see is one to be proud of and show all and sundry that there are still jets supporters everywhere.

Spike

First Grade
I suppose there is still a Newtown forum at another rugby league site if it doesn't work.

Jeffles

Bench
The way I see it, NRL clubs have their own forum AND and NRL forum. Why can't NSWRL clubs have the same.

We have enough traffic on this forum to make it our own.

In short - no thanks.

Jeffles

Bench
The difference between here and the AMNRL forum (which I frequented) was that the latter was a one and a half man band - roopy and Tomahawk. Here there are more dedicated and interested parties.

Your minimum benchmark of 100-200 posts a week is absolute rot. i understand you want minimum quantity requitrements. It should be enough that there are several posts here per day and the discussion keeps moving along. We've never had to pull topics out of the clear blue sky to get discussion going.

This is bullying - plain and simple! Just because we're not as big as the NRL club forums means something is wrong with us.

We would not be better served in a general PL and Flegg forum. we don't even have a Flegg side. It's like asking the Bunnies if they'd be better served in the NRL and JBC forum.

I frequent the NSWRL forum a lot. If there is general discussion I'll put it there. The system works fine.

Unsurprisingly, my vote goes to keeping our forum separate. Many Newtown posters also post in the NSWRL forum when there is a topic that concerns other clubs.

For starters, none of us have any trouble knowing what the more obscure Newtown topics / references are about.

When we only had the NSWRL forum, we had to write a bunch of back story to make our postings comprehensible to folks from other clubs.

This tended to stifle the discussion and totally stuffed any in-jokes we might have made within the Jets circle.

I say leave it as it is. We deserve our own forum for many reasons - not simply because we are the original Aussie RL club, but also because we have the best support of any of the non-NRL outfits in NSW.

A big help in that has been having our own forum on this (and previously other) sites. If LU wants us to merge back into the NSWRL forum here, that's their call.

But I can only imagine that all the Newtown posters will migrate to wherever we have our own forum, just as we did the last couple of times the forum became untenable.

Therefore, you'll only be reducing the post volumes in the NSWRL forum, not increasing them.

greg

Juniors
My sentiments exactly.
By the way, great win over parra. Hope Im not getting too ahead of things but I can sense a grand final and national TV coverage in September for the men in blue.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Calm down Jeffles... no one is being a bully. Show me anywhere where any site owner has bullied you or any Newtown supporter.

Roopy, you've certainly stirred up a hornet's nest buddy. lol

Leagueunlimited.com has always supported Newtown, both on the main page and in the forums.

And that won't change. As far as I'm concerned, Newtown will always have an inside run on these forums.

P.S.
In other words, this forum is here to stay.

2 True Blues

Coach
Far from enjoyed our last convo Willow. But thanks for the re-assurance. Why change what is not broken.

GO THE MIGHTY BLUEBAGS.

2 True Blues

Coach
Just went to vote NO, but realised that the other ( half ) of 2 True Blues has already voted accordingly. Chalk up another NO vote to the total anyway mate.

Also saw the names of the people who voted YES. Am regularly on this site and after reading their names can not recall ever seeing them in any of the discussions on this site. They dont even use it. Why bother voting YES then you fools.