What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should the Newtown forum be joined with NSWRL forum

Should the forums be joined??

• Total voters

roopy

Referee
Just to make it clear - this is my idea and I just 'ran it up the flagpole to see if anyone saluted' to quote an old polititian.

I have been given the task of getting the NSWRL forum and news service up to a good standard, and one of my ideas is to get as many people who are interested in NSWRL games together as possible, but I can see you all value your own forum too much to let it go.

Willow said:
P.S.
In other words, this forum is here to stay.

Only because the Jets fans have poo-poo'd the stupid idea in the first place.

How could you compare this Jets forum with a Septic RL forum on an Aussie website?

If you want to get rid of stupid forums, why not get rid of the *ugby *nion forum?

roopy

Referee
Bluebag said:
Have you contacted Jim Beam clubs to promote the NSWRL forum to build it up?
Just at the moment I'm trying to make sure we have previews, teams, and results for all games of Flegg and Premier League, as well girvie is keeping the tables and stats up to date and doing some articles on Norths.
People have offered to do reports on Wests and Newcastle games (mostly home, some away) and we get regular reports from Norths and Newtown (press releases).
There is still a lot of areas to cover in PL and Flegg - so I'm not thinking about Jim Beam for a while.
One area that people may want to look at is I am trying to get people to do short articles on players who look like future firstgraders. See this article for an example:
http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article/articletemp.asp?num=8267

If anyone wants to do an article on any Newtown player who looks like he has a future - or even if he is just an interesting player - PM them to me and I will see they go into the NSWRL news section of LU.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
2 True Blues said:
Far from enjoyed our last convo Willow. But thanks for the re-assurance. Why change what is not broken.

GO THE MIGHTY BLUEBAGS.
lol I'm sure we're big enough and ugly enough to get over that 2TB. Hope you're feeling better now.
Cheers.

roopy

Referee
Henson Park Hornets said:
Only because the Jets fans have poo-poo'd the stupid idea in the first place.

How could you compare this Jets forum with a Septic RL forum on an Aussie website?

If you want to get rid of stupid forums, why not get rid of the *ugby *nion forum?
I can see I need to fess up very clearly.

1/ This idea was mine and mine alone.

2/ The owners and admin of this site (read Willow) never agreed with my idea, but respect me enough to let me try things. (if you look at the votes you will see willow voted no - and was one of the first to do so).

3/ I still think it would improve the overall coverage of the NSWRL comps if this change were made - but I fully respect your (collective) right to decide this matter - and have always done so, which is why I put up a poll rather than try to get this done some other way (which wouldn't have worked either).

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Well I chose not to answer Henson Park Hornets on the grounds that hot heads only read what they want to read.
HPH, if you take the time to actually read my post, you'll see that you're way off beam.
Cheers.

Jeffles

Bench
I got the impression of bullying because no other club would be asked to merge into its competition forum to prop up the latter.

Thank goodness that sanity prevailed.

Jeffles

Bench
And another thing. The people that voted yes represent a group that rarely (if ever) post on the Newtown forum. The ones that do post here voted no.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Jeffles said:
I got the impression of bullying because no other club would be asked to merge into its competition forum to prop up the latter.

Thank goodness that sanity prevailed.
LOL. How do you know no other club forum has been asked to merge Jeffles? I know you only have your own impressions to rely on when forming an opinion and that's OK. But I can't see how you'd know what the site owners' plans are, and what things are being considered.

Other forums have been merged in the past, including the Balmain forum (into Wests Tigers). But that was done at the request of the Balmain moderator.

I don't see this as a 'sanity prevails' situation. That would suggest there was something on the agenda with Newtown. Merging the Newtown forum was never on the agenda. It was just an understandable reaction formulated by a couple of people in this thread.

The Newtown forum has its own members and its own character and will never be merged as long as I'm here... which is for the duration.
Not sure how many different ways I can say it.

Roopy is as free as anyone to post on the forums and express his ideas and opinion. He doesnt have to ask me for permission. However, I will say that if he suggested merging the forums to me, I would have said 'no way' without hesitation.

Now the future reference...

We are not going backwards with PL coverage, we are expanding it with Roopy and Girvie taking on NSWRL management.
We give Bumper's press releases a run on the main site and have a Premier League ladder linked in the side bar.
In addition, we now have all the Newtown news being pumped into the Sharks subdomain (in Leagueunlimited's League Network). A news feed which can only spread the word further afield.
I'd like to see a representative from Newtown on our NSWRL management team.
And if someone wants to put up their hand to maintain it, I'd like to see a Newtown subdomain on Leagueunlimited.

The LU site is not here to be needlessly opposed. On the contrary, the resources of Leagueunlimited are here for you guys to utilise.
You only have to ask and you'll find that we'll be most receptive.

Cheers.

roopy

Referee
I'd love to see a Newtown guy on the team.
Ideally someone who would be around on the weekends, because girvie doesn't seem to have time on the weekends, and I don't always either.

Jeffles

Bench
Willow said:
Other forums have been merged in the past, including the Balmain forum (into Wests Tigers). But that was done at the request of the Balmain moderator.

That's a different type of merger to the one I am talking about. But anywayt I see your point. Also, I do not disagrre that LU has been good to Newtown with media coverage.

roopy

Referee
On precedents for closing down sections - I don't want to sound too precious on this, but I put a hell of a lot of time and effort into the AMNRL section (it was my 'baby') - but when it became obvious to me that it would be more productive to close it down and move the threads to International, I recommended the move to willow immediately.

Jeffles

Bench
I thought Bluebag was the moiderator here. He hasn't recommeneded anything.

Anyway I'm over this. Let's get back to talking about Australia's first Rugby League club.

DIEHARD

----
Closing the Newtown forum can't happen and it wont.

GO THE BLUEBAGS!

Jeffles said:
Anyway I'm over this. Let's get back to talking about Australia's first Rugby League club.

:thumb

Rexxy

Coach
My feeling is that the ABC in NSw would broadcast a lower grade comp instead of union, except there is no strong identity surrounding the comps.

Everyone says "put league on ABC like they do in QLD but lets face it, there are no big cities that would attract a following, only Reserve Grade teams or in the case of the Jim beam Cup, the Central Coast or some Sydney suburbs, some of whom are quiet obscure eg Windsor, Asquith etc which have no resonance to 99.99% of the population.

And not even the ABC is that elitist.

Part of this identity crisis is self interest from some teams who think they are the comp, who play with rebadged players on the payroll of wealthier NRL clubs with higher profiles.

FFS Nathan Merritt holding a record for the most tries ever scored for Australia's oldest club? How dishonest is that?

Newtown are either part of a comp or not.

And I only say my two bobs worth because Roopy has made this a "see all" poll. So obviously he didnt really want to know what people thought after all.

greg

Juniors
Newtown are part of a comp...its called premier league you fool. Merrits record is not dishonest, it was done wearing the royal blue with the big "N" on it. Newtown are the feeder club for Cronulla (nothing difficult there).

Rexxy is that plain enough?

Jeffles

Bench
Rexxy, the PL is as close to the old Sydney comp as you can get.

There are loads of fans that care about it because their club's 1st grade is there (Norths, Newtown, Wests Balmain), because their club has a side there and they ofllow every team their club fields, and because people like seeing these traditional fixtures.

The ABC would go for that. Look at the SANFL. Still gets great crowds!

I agre with you that JBC clubs wouldn't rtesonate with the community. But to say PL wouldn't is foolish.