What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should The NRL Do Relegations/Promotions.

Tokouso

Juniors
Simple. The bottom 2 teams in the nrl get relegated to the nsw cup (for nsw team) or qld cup (for queensland team). The winners of the nsw cup and qld cup will take the bottom 2 place in the nrl for the season and it will keep on going and so on and so on.

T-Boon

Coach
Problem is NSW cup is reserve grade so you would be promoting another clubs reserve grade team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Simply no. You can't go from a nrl club $20mill. Revenue to a $3million nsw cup revenue league, clubs would fold.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I think a P&R system would be good to motivate fans to get out to games; give them a fear of losing their team and suddenly they will realise how much they love them....

But you cant just do that basic "last goes does, top of shitty grade rises" because fans have zero to do with it.

I think a system based on membership would be way better for the game

ARLC can declare where the licences will be based (3 - ANZ, 1 - Hunters Stadium, 1 - AAMI, etc.) but make the fans decide which teams get the licence. The Bears or whoever else have a clear avenue of reentry (meaning their quest for an NRL spot will be good for the game, not the toxic lump it is now) and fans will know that if they dont turn up they might lose their team.

Obviously there is a lot of fine print needed (minimum standard for "membership"), but i think this is the only P&R system that would actually be good for the game....

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
I'd personally love to see it in the future, the model I'd like to see would be, the last nrl team drops , the winners of the qld cup and the nsw cup playoff on grand final day like they do now, but the winner gets the ultimate prize, promotion. But for this model to work both second division league would have to become independent of nrl clubs, build these regional teams brands over the years. As the population grows this could happen. Would take years. And with only one nrl team dropping it wouldn't be too much of a hit to the nrl. But lots of work would need to be done on the foundations of the second division comps. More so the nsw cup, the qld Intrust super cup is a far better model as it stands right now.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I'd personally love to see it in the future, the model I'd like to see would be, the last nrl team drops , the winners of the qld cup and the nsw cup playoff on grand final day like they do now, but the winner gets the ultimate prize, promotion. But for this model to work both second division league would have to become independent of nrl clubs, build these regional teams brands over the years. As the population grows this could happen. Would take years. And with only one nrl team dropping it wouldn't be too much of a hit to the nrl. But lots of work would need to be done on the foundations of the second division comps. More so the nsw cup, the qld Intrust super cup is a far better model as it stands right now.

Imagine if a team like Newcastle or Brisbane came last and the Nowra Warriors or the Parkes f**kleberries were promoted....

Untempered P&R would destroy the competition within a few years.

While there are many potential benefits of a P&R system, it would need to be HEAVILY restricted...

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Imagine if a team like Newcastle or Brisbane came last and the Nowra Warriors or the Parkes f**kleberries were promoted....

While there are many potential benefits of a P&R system, it would need to be HEAVILY restricted...
yes that would be bad news for the nrl as it stands now yes, I mean isn't it a problem within it's self ?, build up other brands, its a bad thing we only have a few big clubs, the broncos wouldn't go down anyway, professionally run clubs don't struggle.

I mean the knights are a basket case, getting dropped may kick there arse into gear and get them managed properly again, they wouldn't lose fans either I don't believe. The system has merit I believe, but we are still miles off in regards to the second divisions. Lots of work would need to be done.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Promotion a relegation between the NRL and the lower tiers would be disastrous, all it would take is for either the Broncos or the Storm to get regulated and the NRL would be screwed.

However I can see promotion and relegation between the lower tiers being beneficial, perhaps right up to the second tier if the juniors system and second grade was completely restructured like it so desperately needs to be but almost certainly never will be.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Promotion a relegation between the NRL and the lower tiers would be disastrous, all it would take is for either the Broncos or the Storm to get regulated and the NRL would be screwed.

However I can see promotion and relegation between the lower tiers being beneficial, perhaps right up to the second tier if the juniors system and second grade was completely restructured like it so desperately needs to be but almost certainly never will be.
Agreed it would be bad as it stands now, but in time with the right preparations it could be fantastic. What I'm saying is it has great potential in the future if done correctly. The nrl is stale as it stands now, so many meaningless games, with only a few clubs running successfully.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Agreed it would be bad as it stands now, but in time with the right preparations it could be fantastic. What I'm saying is it has great potential in the future if done correctly. The nrl is stale as it stands now, so many meaningless games, with only a few clubs running successfully.

Promotion and regulation wont be sustainable in Australian until the population grows immensely and spreads move evenly across the country, until then it'd be a massive a cluster f##k, and even then there'd be problems simply because of the shear size of the country.

I agree that it'd be cool, but a lot of thing's outside of the NRL's control would have to change for it ever be sustainable in this country.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Promotion and regulation wont be sustainable in Australian until the population grows immensely and spreads move evenly across the country, until then it'd be a massive a cluster f##k, and even then there'd be problems simply because of the shear size of the country.

I agree that it'd be cool, but a lot of thing's outside of the NRL's control would have to change for it ever be sustainable in this country.

This brings me back to the P&R based on membership...

It could be restricted to the locations where teams are needed/sustainable, new teams would have a positive channel for getting their team included (currently, it is just boycotts) and fans of current teams would need to get their ass into gear to keep their team in the comp.

Involve the fans, keep the map as it needs to be and keep the competition fresh (obviously it is not that simple, but it is a million times better than a team dropping out because of 1 bad season and another coming in from bumf*ck-nowhere)

Perth Red

Post Whore

TBF pretty much every other sport has national comps, most of them with far far less resources than the NRL.
If Union can have a second div comp, sports like baseball, water polo and hockey can have national comps then would a second division NRL comp really be that much a stretch?

The Great Dane

First Grade
TBF pretty much every other sport has national comps, most of them with far far less resources than the NRL.
If Union can have a second div comp, sports like baseball, water polo and hockey can have national comps then would a second division NRL comp really be that much a stretch?

Never said that the NRL couldn't support a national second division, only that the NRL couldn't support P&R between that second division and the NRL.

In fact I said that I reckon that if it was prepared properly and well regulated that the NRL could support a multi tiered second division with P&R between the competitions, but the jump from second division to NRL would be to large and to risky for the NRL.

I also said that I can't see the NRL reorganising the lower tiers in any substantial way anytime soon, mainly because they are so reactive to these sorts of things.

taipan

Referee
P&R would simply not work in a country with a population of 24million,split between various football codes.
If Australia had 70m plus then by all means.
P&R is hardly a success in the ESL,with average crowds, and still little media publicity.
Imagine a team like Newcastle coming last for 6 years as an example, still with decent crowds,yet a prime target for relegation.
You would stuff the local rl /NRL following community.Or if the Storm has a few horrendous years coming last with crowds less than 9,000.Do you flick them?

Sorry, the notion of P&R is a pipe dream in this country for the NRL.Expansion is the only way to go down the line.P&R is marking time and disenfranchising fans.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
If the nrl weren't lazy and invested the right time and money into the idea, a P&R system would add to the competition in a large way, both ends of the competition would be exciting for fans.

siv

First Grade

I mage the plug for bush footy if the Parkes Spacemen made the grade

I cant see why some state cup teams like Wenty, Redcliffe, Ipswich, North Sydney, amongst others dont push up and set up their own comp.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I cant see why some state cup teams like Wenty, Redcliffe, Ipswich, North Sydney, amongst others dont push up and set up their own comp.

Not nearly enough money left after the NRL teams get first go (Uncle Rupert already owns the game, how many other people are there to splash half a $billion on a breakaway RL comp) and they would risk expulsion from the current comps...

Plus, anyone who could proves themselves able to pull something like that off would be picked up by an NRL team before they took it anywhere.

Nah, if anything is to usurp NRL in the future, it will be the expansion of Rep footy...

VictoryFC

Bench
there are only two countries in the world where promotion/relegation works really well: england and germany. everywhere else it's not really necessary

reason why it works in both:

- small countries, travelling by bus easy, keeps transport costs low
- large populations. 80 mill in germany, 50m in england.
- population not concentrated in a handful of cities. when 3 teams go down in epl, they are usually replaced by markets of similar stature
- neither country is split in half between two sports
- they started out this way. history and tradition of p&r is ingrained. if it started today, theyd both have closed leagues

p&r in australia is silly

Latest posts