What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should The NRL Do Relegations/Promotions.

Marlins

Juniors
A combined Nsw/Qcup would be a good start to see how it fairs. If this combined comp gained interest, sponsorships, got sold for a decent TV deal who knows what the outcome could be. I originally thought the platinum league idea was going to be this. Anyway this is how I would set it up.
NRL 16 Clubs for now.
The combined Platinum League -

Redcliffe Dolphins
Ipswich Jets
Sunshine Coast Falcons
PNG Hunters
West Coast Pirates
Central Coast Bears
Newtown Jets
Christchurch Team

joshreading

Staff member
I think the most logical and in one sense the easiest way is to create a requirement that
new teams aspiring to be in the NRL start in 'NRL 2' (simply the QLD and NSW conferences BUT...I would add NZRL to that soon)

Imagine Christchurch / Wellington / Fiji / Auckland and Waikato being a single conference in the NRL2 system. (for instance) sitting beside a QLD and NSW conference focused competition.

That would mean for instance that the West Coast Pirates would have to start in NRL2 and given certain standards and preparation are met they could be promoted to the NRL but not because they 'win' but because they pass criteria - fan engagement - finances - playing base etc.

Obviously, some sides entering NRL2 will receive strategic assistance as it helps expand the games footprint (WA would fall into this category).

The similar branding would mean a connection but also the real threat of a team dropping to NRL2
is a possibility if a team continues to struggle financially etc and are unviable at the top tier long term.

I would then also start to lift the criteria and regional focus for the competition.

DC_fan

Coach
I mage the plug for bush footy if the Parkes Spacemen made the grade

I know you are only using them as a fun example, but I would like to know who would play for them or any far flung team like them? I would hate to be their recruitment guy. I can't imagine big name players wanting to move to Parkes or any remote location. The Spacemen or their like would be slaughtered each and every week.

Let's all be honest, promotion and relegation will never work in this country for the NRL.

DC_fan

Coach
there are only two countries in the world where promotion/relegation works really well: england and germany. everywhere else it's not really necessary

reason why it works in both:

- small countries, travelling by bus easy, keeps transport costs low
- large populations. 80 mill in germany, 50m in england.
- population not concentrated in a handful of cities. when 3 teams go down in epl, they are usually replaced by markets of similar stature
- neither country is split in half between two sports
- they started out this way. history and tradition of p&r is ingrained. if it started today, theyd both have closed leagues

p&r in australia is silly

Brilliant.

As has been said by others, for Australia I don't see promotion/relegation being viable in Australia in the foreseeable future. Firstly, the clubs looking at potential relegation are, compared the current NRL clubs , small both in terns of support but more so in terms of finance. Even allowing for the money they would get with joining the NRL, would anyone seriously expect say Mt Pritchard being able to compete for the corporate dollars against the likes of Parramatta, Souths or the Broncos? It would be a complete mismatch.

Also add in, could you imagine what would happen if say teams like Newcastle, the Cowboys, Warriors and/or Broncos got relegated for teams like Mt Pritchard or Wentworthville? We already have people saying the NRL is too Sydney centric yet you would open the door, potentially, to having more Sydney based clubs in the NRL at the expense of regional or non-NSW based teams.

Then add in the infrastructure requirements. Where would these new teams find the 20,000+ seater stadiums to play at? Few, if any, would have stadiums which meet current minimum NRL requirements, and if the new teams were in Sydney, you can't have say 10 teams playing out of 2 venues in the same weekend.

I'm not saying we don't need a second division competition. Merely that I don't think promotion relegation would work in rugby league in Australia.

Also using the EPL as a guide, how common is it for teams who get promoted one year to wind up being relegated rather quickly back to the 2nd division? Even then if some stay up, they more often than not hover near the bottom of the ladder.

VictoryFC

Bench
Also using the EPL as a guide, how common is it for teams who get promoted one year to wind up being relegated rather quickly back to the 2nd division? Even then if some stay up, they more often than not hover near the bottom of the ladder.

To be fair, this would be mitigated in NRL as the wage spending between the teams wouldn't be as cavernous as it is in the epl. Nonetheless, doesn't make p&r a good idea

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
P & R in Australia - no

A well promoted, televised second division, yes. Pick the biggest existing second their clubs in NSW and QLD then add any expansion bids (this should be a must for any NRL hopefuls to show their committment) WA Pirates, NZ 2, Fiji & PNG Hunters.

If any NRL club is struggling or not viable they can be moved to NRL 2 so that the fans still have their club without extinction or relocation which then paves the way for the NRL to promote a club on whatever criteria they see fit (hopefully strategic growth of the game). The demoted club can regroup and can always push for promotion in the future should the opportunity arrive.

Latest posts