What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should we bring back Simply The Best?

Dogs Of War

Coach
Leave it alone, it had it's day and now its a fine memory, it aint 1990 anymore. Also note that league went fully professional around the same time and the quality of the game improved. Great personalities in the game such as ET also helped.

Anyway, Just as others have said, league needs to always use more current stuff. Not sure of what band to use as not into music as much as league but I'm sure theirs plenty of stuff about that can be used just as effectivitly as simply the best was used at the time. It's just a matter of getting the whole package together.

David Brent

Juniors
While we all have different music tastes, I think a classic rock anthem would please most people on some level. By that, I mean big guitars and a memorable, catchy chorus. A song you would happily sing at the bar with your mates while having a few beers.

I have always loved the song "More Than A Feeling" by a band called Boston, and feel it would suit a league commercial perfectly. It's about 25-30 years old now but still rocks. Would really go well with footage of big hits, passionate plays and memorable pieces of commentary.

At the conclusion of the ad, you could have a voiceover, saying something like: "Rugby League ... More than a feeling."

Could be quite catchy. If you don't know the song, have a listen and tell us what you think.

bartman said:
While Simply The Best Campaign was good, it was because it was a product of the times. Tina Turner, Diesel and Barnesy actually were chart artists back then.

You've summed up what I thought from the second I read the first line, you've got move with the times and keep contemporary - unless your a jam or a bourbon.

I cant imagine 8-20 year olds would really get excited when they hear it and they are the ones we need to cater for if people dont love league by the time they are that age its highly unlikely they ever will

j_tig

Juniors
Knight82 said:
You've summed up what I thought from the second I read the first line, you've got move with the times and keep contemporary - unless your a jam or a bourbon.

I cant imagine 8-20 year olds would really get excited when they hear it and they are the ones we need to cater for if people dont love league by the time they are that age its highly unlikely they ever will
im 20 and my mates and i all know and love this song, having said that, yes move forward, leave simply the best for the highlight reels or frdayi night footy or something; not the main advertising campaign

Knightmare

Coach
What about ACDC? They would ROCK! Whether they changed the lyrics of an existing song or made up a new one, I think Brian Smith yelling a new league anthem with Angus and Malcolm thrashing the hell out of their guitars and Cliff pounding on the drums would be a smash-hit and would get both the fans and the players PUMPED before the big game (or any game)!

Knightmare

Coach
Also if they ever televised Saturday night games on FTA, Paul kelly could sing a rendition of "It's only Forty Miles till Saturday night". That would be really catchy.