What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should wests tigers play 6 games at homebush for $$$

Should wests tigers play 6 home games at homebush for $$$

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

innsaneink

Referee
The timing is interesting....I suppose the official WestsTigers view now is we cannot make the eight.
Lets give em the bad news now.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
tigger said:
hybrid_tiger said:
tigger said:
If any Balmain fan who now supports the JV, thinks that the Parramatta Tigers wouldn't have been a better outcome than this must be dialling in from Callan Park.

I was a Balmain fan, and I would have prefered to merge with Wests, as we did.

The Parramatta bid was always going to be a takeover. All we would have had was the Tiger emblem. The Balmain side of that supposed "JV" would have been dead a long time ago.

We wouldnt even have played at Leichhardt Oval. It was practically the same as the Illawarra/Dragons takeover. If you think Illawarra is alive in that club, you're kidding.

Hmmm, two or three games at Leichhardt and a Florida Panther painted like a Tiger does not make you even close to Balmain. I was simply stating that the way it continues to go, the club will have no part of Balmain in it anyway. At least with Parramatta, we would have known what we were getting, this is all too cloak and dagger.

So you would have been happy being taken over by Parramatta? I wouldnt have picked that one, Tigger.

I know you hate Wests, but surely a 50/50 JV with them was better off (at the time) than a take over by Parramatta?

Once Dead

Bench
I think tigger is referring to the fact there wouldn't have been this 50/50 stuff which is causing ALL of our problems

tigger

Juniors
hybrid_tiger said:
tigger said:
hybrid_tiger said:
tigger said:
If any Balmain fan who now supports the JV, thinks that the Parramatta Tigers wouldn't have been a better outcome than this must be dialling in from Callan Park.

I was a Balmain fan, and I would have prefered to merge with Wests, as we did.

The Parramatta bid was always going to be a takeover. All we would have had was the Tiger emblem. The Balmain side of that supposed "JV" would have been dead a long time ago.

We wouldnt even have played at Leichhardt Oval. It was practically the same as the Illawarra/Dragons takeover. If you think Illawarra is alive in that club, you're kidding.

Hmmm, two or three games at Leichhardt and a Florida Panther painted like a Tiger does not make you even close to Balmain. I was simply stating that the way it continues to go, the club will have no part of Balmain in it anyway. At least with Parramatta, we would have known what we were getting, this is all too cloak and dagger.

So you would have been happy being taken over by Parramatta? I wouldnt have picked that one, Tigger.

I know you hate Wests, but surely a 50/50 JV with them was better off (at the time) than a take over by Parramatta?

See Impellitteri's response.

All i am saying is that you as a previous Balmain Tigers fan will see less and less of Balmain Tigers in the JV every season until it is completely gone. I would suggest that it is not a JV, it is break away club that does it own thing.

bonstonker

Juniors
this is a pure business decision with guaranteed dollars.
football is business,did none of you learn this through the whole super league war. :roll:

what is the actual figure,i think i read it was 200k per game.if this is true that turns out to be 1.2mil per year guaranteed to the bottom line plus the jade revenue.
no ceo will give that up when you are losing money and can't spend your full salary cap.
i hear all you people whinge when we can't buy decent players,and now you will have that opportunity and you want to knock it back. :clap: :?

you can say sack the board and whatever else,but the fact is whoever else you get in there that has any sort of business degree will do the same thing,follow the dollar,something a true ceo is paid to do.

how are the finances of balmain,each year i am wondering if we have the money to put in our share.
i for one don't want to see balmain putting in dollars to the wests tigers,i want them to pay their own way.

and don't be so naive to think sheens has nothing to do with this.he wants a winning team,and you need class players to win,something we cannot afford,but with extra revenue from this deal sheens will get the money he wants to buy the players he wants.these class players will in turn make us more successful on the field which in turn leads to greater sponsorship dollars and the increased revenue from finals football.you will also see higher merchandise sales with more class players in your side.

they know they will lose some fans from this,but they also know they will make money,be able to buy a better team that will then get the crowd back.

this year we have had great success at home with our crowds,but it wasn't just the fans love of our home grounds that got the fans there,it was the fact that we were a hope of making the finals this year.

do you honestly see us surviving untill 2011 without drastic changes,this is not balmain or wests,it is a seperate entity that can not survive without better business decisions that focus on dollars not tradition.

the wests tigers was formed on tradition but cannot survive on tradition.

f**king open your eyes people.

i must admitt i was stunned to see the poll at exactly 50% when i put in my vote.

i am sure if i was still living in australia i would have a different view,and i can also understand how some of you feel,especially the guys that have put in such a big effort to save leichhardt,but i can also understand the reasons for going to homebush.i know if i was doing the work that stop the rot are doing that i would feel pissed that i was fed something when there were negotiations happening to do the opposite.

one thing is for sure,it is not going to be the same.for better or worse i will still be supporting the tigers,but my situation is far different from most of you who actually follow the tigers with your feet.

Wrighty79

Juniors
Guys?Girls don't worry. My first point of order on Friday morning (after I win Powerball, of course!) is to ring up clipsal and buy one of those Massive Screens that cost us so much to hire. Then donate it to the WT so they no longer have to lose money by hiring one every game. That'd save us a fair bit of scratch.

trialex

Juniors
Obviously something needs to be done if the club is losing money overall and wouldn't survive. But if the move is only because the home games themselves are losing money, then thats another matter. The club should be concentrating on the big picture, ie breaking even after every source of income isconsidered, ie merchandise, advertising etc. I'm sure that there won't be as many people at the games at Telstra (not including double headers) as at Leichhardt or Campletown. Lower crowds often (not always) means less atmosphere, especially in such a huge stadium, which does nothing to encourage more people to show up next time, further reducing gate and merchandising revenue.

Hopefully next year will prove to be an "experiment" and 2006 sees a return to a simmilar schedule to this year, 1 NZ game, 1 or 2 double headers and the rest split between Leichhardt and Campletown

BuffaloRules

Coach
I can't believe this decision - what an absolute joke....

How much money have we been losing on Leichhardt and Campbelltown games??

I would have thought that the only bad result was the Melbourne game....

I for one will not be turning up at Homebush, which has got to be the worst ground to attend, no atmosphere - like being in an empty cavern....

I reckon it will make us less attractive for free to air games, when 6000 turn up, why would channel 9 want to show that??

Less attractive for free to air means less sponsorship dollars... its all swings and roundabouts which I'm sure Noyce hasn't got the brains in his head to comprehend....

How anyone can think that moving away from both our supporter bases is a good idea is beyond me, if the only reason is to make an extra million bucks....

If someone offered the management money to play all their home games in say Perth, would they consider that as well??

I spose no one actually asks the players what they think...hey why would their input be important?? :x

Another farkin joke !!!

Suzie

Juniors
BuffaloRules said:
I can't believe this decision - what an absolute joke....

How much money have we been losing on Leichhardt and Campbelltown games??

I would have thought that the only bad result was the Melbourne game....

I for one will not be turning up at Homebush, which has got to be the worst ground to attend, no atmosphere - like being in an empty cavern....

I reckon it will make us less attractive for free to air games, when 6000 turn up, why would channel 9 want to show that??

Less attractive for free to air means less sponsorship dollars... its all swings and roundabouts which I'm sure Noyce hasn't got the brains in his head to comprehend....

How anyone can think that moving away from both our supporter bases is a good idea is beyond me, if the only reason is to make an extra million bucks....

If someone offered the management money to play all their home games in say Perth, would they consider that as well??

I spose no one actually asks the players what they think...hey why would their input be important?? :x

Another farkin joke !!!

I think you're right there. After some of the comments from players after games, particularly at Leichhardt, about the crowd lifting them, and pressuring the ref to make more fair decisions (ok, only occasionally), the players acknowledging the crowd on Friday night, even after losing - I don't think I've ever seen a team do that after a loss before - doesn't that say to management that the Wests Tigers are finally getting a supporters base that will travel to the two home grounds? Build that base, give them access to merchandise (I don't know if any of you have been out to "The Den" at Panthers, but you can buy absolutely anything "Panther" from there - I wouldn't know where to buy anything WT other than jerseys and hats from the website), promote the team, make having two grounds a benefit, not a liability.

I really don't understand why the decision appears to have been made to go to Homebush. I understand the need for +ve cash flow in a business, however, I also understand the best way to increase your cash flow is to keep your customers happy. In this case, we THE FANS are the customer, and we are not being considered at all.

On the flip side of happy customers, is of course, happy employees, or THE PLAYERS. Have they been considered in these decisions? Sure, it might mean more money for the club, but that doesn't necessarily mean a better team. HAving supporters who turn up every week, being hero-worshipped by kids, being part of a community (even though there are two separate communities in the JV) I don't think will happen if the majority of home games are not played at home grounds.

I think Tigger's idea has merit - a syndicate could be the answer!

RifRaf

Juniors
The club says Leichhardt is run down and it's too expensive to play there... WHAT HAVE THEY DONE IN THE PAST FIVE YEARS TO FIX IT? Nothing! It's only now that we've stepped in that any attention is being brought to it! Using it's condition as a scape goat when they hadn't even spoken to the gov or council seriously about the issue in 5 years!

Kid

Juniors
hybrid_tiger said:
Well something needs to be done. We cant lose $45,000 every time we play a game of football or we will never get anywhere.

Now I love Leichhardt just as much as any other person on here. But I'd rather us move full-time to Campbelltown and upgrade the ground so it meets standard requirements (press rooms, dressing rooms etc.) than play 6 games at Telstra Stadium every year.

I'm sure most people would agree.
Mate i agree 100%. I love Balmain, and always have, but would rather Wests Tigers play all home games at Campbelltown, then that hole at Homebush. Worse case scenario, if we have to have 2 grounds, i would rather Parra Stadium be our other ground, ONLY if Leichardt can not be fixed.

RifRaf

Juniors
Why do we need the $? Because of the club's mis-management.. This is nothing short of treason.

RifRaf

Juniors
This is the deal:
5 games telstra (non tradtional teams i.e Cowboys/Storm and double headers)
1 game jade (NZ)
3 Leichhardt (v tradtional teams parra, souths manly) plus the souths trial
3 Cambo (v trad teams dogs etc)
Steve was ambushed by Hadley yesterday, the deal isn't even complete yet and was not to be announced for sometime.
100,000 a game over 3 years

BuffaloRules

Coach
So who is going to go to Homebush and watch them play the Storm next year??

Anyone??

$100k a game hey?? :lol:

RifRaf

Juniors
Where's Homebush? I've been so scarred by this whole thing I've had to block out a whole suburb...

Tigerpete

Juniors
RifRaf said:
Why do we need the $? Because of the club's mis-management.. This is nothing short of treason.

Its pretty hard to swallow when u consider nothing's been done about LO. Now that the ground is on its last legs , it takes something from the fans not Balmain or Wests Tigers to urgently attend to it. We may not be in this situation if the ground had been looked after and maintained over the years, its reeks of incompetance.

TIGERPies

Juniors
i still dont know what to think, positives are there but at a huge sacrifice

this is selfish but more money is what is needed for player retention / attraction :clap:

more games in the inner west :clap: sorry wests fans

in saying that though it is a tragedy to loose liechardt :cry: and cambeltown :cry: especially after the effort put into S.T.R. Intresting to see the impact on crowds. ill still be there, i cant believe that if the team is firing then the people will not go ;-)

The club though has reached the stage where it relises that it needs to make some decisions independently of balmain/western suburbs intrests, with the goal of being more successfull at nrl level

im still very shocked and have waited a while to asses this one. Looks like it will happen though #-o :? :shock: :eek: :?:

Sincas

Juniors
BuffaloRules said:
So who is going to go to Homebush and watch them play the Storm next year??

Anyone??

$100k a game hey?? :lol:

Why bother? The revenue is guaranteed. Unless you want to go for the atmosphere?

I feel sorry for the players but the fans are being driven away by the contempt we are shown.

But I will see what the Board tells us in the next day or so.

Sincas

Juniors
Yeah the crowd figures next year will be interesting but will they be accurate?

I don't know anymore.

Latest posts