What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Side for round 2?

Walt Flanigan

Referee
1. Dugan
2. Robinson
3. Croker
4. J. Thompson
5. Vidot
6. Campese
7. Herbert
8. Tilse
9. Waddell
10. Shillington
11. Harrison
12. Picker (if fit)
13. Tongue

14. Logan
15. TLL
16. Galea
17. Thurling

legend

Coach
Tilse shoudl be dropped. He's a useless sack of sh*t! Gives away a penalty as soon as he gets on and does nothing for the rest of the time. He is hopeless!

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Just a question who would the ideal Canberra halfback be ?

I wouldnt say no to Thurston, and if I had to sacrifice Campo's 400k I probably would and put a Herbert or McCrone into 5/8.

With Campo there I'd like someone like Craig Gower, Cooper Cronk. Really strong competitors who can grind it out, have a decent kicking game and I think Cronk would be great to do alot of organising.

I know Mick Dobson has failed at NRL level but when i watch the esl i think his great kicking game would be really helpful for our squad.

I'd also like to see someone like Eddie Paea given a small contract and a shot in the raiders number 7 Jersey.

aussies1st

Staff member
Just a question who would the ideal Canberra halfback be ?

Scott Prince, just someone that can organise the attack and put the attacking kicks in. Looking lower down the scale, Luke Walsh would be good. Even since he came into the Panthers side mid season they have looked a more organised size.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
the name mick dobson shouldnt be said let alone thought of as a halfback in this league..

His slow and cannot tackle, then when teams target him he gets tired doing crap tackles and provides nothing in attack...did he even make a line break??

Who is that storm half back from U20?? I cant remember his name but him and Foran are two guys we should of looked at earlier.

all these people ( not just in here ) that suggest bringing back former Raiders from the ESL , don't you think if they were good enough then , someone else would of signed them in the NRL.

shear_joy9

Coach
I think herbert has copped alot of unfair criticism. He made some errors in the first half, along with the rest of the team, but overall his game was solid. His defence was excellent and saved a try he had no right in stopping. His kicking game in the 2nd half was great.

He can only really get involved as much as Campo lets him. Let's not forget who threw the game killing intercept pass and whose missed tackle gifted penrith the last try.

shear_joy9

Coach
all these people ( not just in here ) that suggest bringing back former Raiders from the ESL , don't you think if they were good enough then , someone else would of signed them in the NRL.

just look at some of the players canberra have brought over. Logan and Best came back better players than they were before playing in England.

Nth-Qld-Raider

Juniors
the name mick dobson shouldnt be said let alone thought of as a halfback in this league..

His slow and cannot tackle, then when teams target him he gets tired doing crap tackles and provides nothing in attack...did he even make a line break??

Who is that storm half back from U20?? I cant remember his name but him and Foran are two guys we should of looked at earlier.

Melbourne's halfback from last year was Luke Kelly, yeah he is a talent thats for sure.

I'd like to see Mick Picker given a go at 7 late in the year.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
I gotta admit that Herb was solid, first game of the season and if he continues to improve he will be the guy we have wanted. He reminds me a lot of Mclinden..in that 'looks dangerous when with the ball'. His bound to make mistakes, his playing half back in the toughest league for a team with a lot of young guys, and then consider he hasnt even had a full season under his belt.

A few seasons ago everyone disliked campo and believed he would be off to union and make a living using his uncles name. Now every week we sit there saying how good he is and how he needs to play like he did near the end of 08. Point being, give players time..it took campo ages to show his talent.

aussies1st

Staff member
I'm happy to give him time but I don't want to be stuck in a situation where hes not performing and our season is down the drain but hes still being picked.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors

2 seasons ago barely anyone would have thought that Jamie Soward was worthy of a first grade contract. Players change and mature. I'd be happy to put Dobson in the squad in combination with Campo. If you've watched some superleague games you'd see the quality of his kicking game etc.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
2 seasons ago barely anyone would have thought that Jamie Soward was worthy of a first grade contract. Players change and mature. I'd be happy to put Dobson in the squad in combination with Campo. If you've watched some superleague games you'd see the quality of his kicking game etc.

I liked Dobbo. Great kicking game, great talker, confident and had a good partnership with Campo. Wouldn't be disappointed to see him back.

yeah i agree Carney, though theres always been names tossed up saying who we want but i only asked as no ones really ever stated their ideal one, theres been tossed up suggestions but i wanted to know exactly what people thought would be the right one.

Timbo

Staff member
I was always a MASSIVE fan of Dobson, absolutely gutted when we lost him and technically a brilliant halfback.

He was an organizer, not a dominant player which cost him some fans. Also his defence could let him down.

His short kicking game was 10/10 stuff. His short game coupled with Campese's long game would have made us a genuine double threat. He is the player we needed to keep, but when we had Carney/Campese someone had to go I guess. He was also a 90% goalkicker, lets not forget.

yeah i didnt mind Dobson, just his defence was frustrating but with experience im sure ihe could of raised his defence to a capable level also as mentioned before we have signed aussie super league comeback players and its paid off with dobson doing well over there it would be worth a crack.

was there a bad falling out between the raiders and dobson?

Dobson left for the UK and was in the running for their man of steel award ( not sure if he won it ) then came back and his limitations in his game were shown up in the NRL again.
For all the positives with Dobo's attack and it wasnt perfect there were too many negatives to see him succeed in the NRL.

Ive stated somehwere before if he was good enough another club would of picked him up by now.