What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signing news

dragonssamy61

First Grade
My dearest Mr Sigurd , try to understand that there are some people in life that attempt to put things in a better perspective than what they actually are .

That is exactly what I was attempting to do when I said - " why not change his name to Benji Nightingale and he could play 5/8th ?". That was said in jest , I truly believed that most members of the forum would had understood that , but alas I was wrong .

You , the most intelligent member of our little club , could not . However , now that I have all but spelt it out for you , hopefully , finally you will understand.
Let's all move on , shall we ?

As I'm quite sure , that most of us , would just be ' tickled - pink ' to become friends with you ! Try to be like us country folk , and smile . There is more to life than a computer screen

Game set match to Gareth67.
Thank you lines man
Thank you ball boys.

I tell jerry thats gold

What makes a great 5/8.. Well I could be biased.. At least I am not unhinged.

A different time I know.. And the game has changed.. But at least he would give the centres some space and decent ball...

One the old timers...

Arguably the greatest five-eight to wear the red and white, Brian Clay ..

The switch from lock to five-eight would see Poppa as the fulcrum around which Saints would produce that magic football and all so see him as a roundabout and/or brick wall for the opposition.

Former super coach Jack Gibson once said in respect to Clays tackling power;When Clay was on the left the inclination was to detour right;

Ian Walsh commented;If we had an opposition player who was causing us trouble, one of Poppas specials would generally bring them back to the field;.

Poppa was also known as "The Baron of Bruise". He also gave incredible service to his outside team mates enabling them to revel in his service.

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/brian-poppa-clay-a-saints-legend.55590/

Old Timer

Coach
Tots
Poppa was a bloody beauty that's for sure.
Hard as nails on the paddock but a quietly spoken and gentle fellow of the field from what I remember as a kid going to KJO for the holiday football coaching clinics. I remember mum being panic stricken when Poppa used to run some of the tackling drills.
He and Raper were at Newton together prior to teaming up at St George.
Interesting at Newtown Clay was the lock and Raper the 5/8 and of course those roles were reversed at the Dragons.
Probably part of the reason Raper was so great was the time he spent at 5/8 early on.
The motor boat club down at the Cooks River Tempe has some great old photos of the blue bags including Clay and Raper in a team photo together.

Reddragon

Bench
What makes a great 5/8.. Well I could be biased.
One the old timers...

Arguably the greatest five-eight to wear the red and white, Brian Clay ..

The switch from lock to five-eight would see Poppa as the fulcrum around which Saints would produce that magic football and all so see him as a roundabout and/or brick wall for the opposition.

Former super coach Jack Gibson once said in respect to Clays tackling power;When Clay was on the left the inclination was to detour right;

Ian Walsh commented;If we had an opposition player who was causing us trouble, one of Poppas specials would generally bring them back to the field;.

Poppa was also known as "The Baron of Bruise". He also gave incredible service to his outside team mates enabling them to revel in his service.

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/brian-poppa-clay-a-saints-legend.55590/
Clay was great, but certainly helped if Reg Gasnier was one of those centers you had to allow space for!

Tots
Poppa was a bloody beauty that's for sure.
Hard as nails on the paddock but a quietly spoken and gentle fellow of the field from what I remember as a kid going to KJO for the holiday football coaching clinics. I remember mum being panic stricken when Poppa used to run some of the tackling drills.
He and Raper were at Newton together prior to teaming up at St George.
Interesting at Newtown Clay was the lock and Raper the 5/8 and of course those roles were reversed at the Dragons.
Probably part of the reason Raper was so great was the time he spent at 5/8 early on.
The motor boat club down at the Cooks River Tempe has some great old photos of the blue bags including Clay and Raper in a team photo together.

This is the man responsible for introducing me to the Red V.. He played footy with us as young kids in the front yard..

"Outside the game Clay was a dour, cautious man, highly principled and loyal... "

We could do with a few more of these in the world today...

"On field Clay ran stampeding, battering charges like an extra forward and would then set the wider backs in motion with precise passes. His flashier outside backs Reg Gasnier and Johnny King benefitted from the opposition defence Clay would absorb on their behalf. In turn he was known for his own punishing defence using a shuddering ball-and-all style of crash tackle."

Are you sure he wouldn't be an asset today.... Shuddering tackles, precise passing.. Taking the line on, attracting multiple defenders, creating space... No 'crabbing' here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Clay

Old Timer

Coach
Tots
Just had a look at some old footage of the 57 GF on youtube and Poppa got a try under the posts and Harry Bath was kicking the goals.
Some great names on both sides and you can see Poppa doing exactly what you posted.
He was the rock that the backs and forwards of those great Dragons sides built their foundations on.

Gareth67

First Grade
This is the man responsible for introducing me to the Red V.. He played footy with us as young kids in the front yard..

"Outside the game Clay was a dour, cautious man, highly principled and loyal... "

We could do with a few more of these in the world today...

"On field Clay ran stampeding, battering charges like an extra forward and would then set the wider backs in motion with precise passes. His flashier outside backs Reg Gasnier and Johnny King benefitted from the opposition defence Clay would absorb on their behalf. In turn he was known for his own punishing defence using a shuddering ball-and-all style of crash tackle."

Are you sure he wouldn't be an asset today.... Shuddering tackles, precise passing.. Taking the line on, attracting multiple defenders, creating space... No 'crabbing' here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Clay

Reading both yours and O.T. descriptions takes me back to those wonderful days .The first time that I saw that huge Red V on the jerseys , and also the St.George emblem in the V .

Stan Gordon on the wing with his pale skin and Brilcream plastering his hair down , always so neat and tidy , but knowing his way to the try line .
I didn't know much about their lives in general , however it is nice to know that Poppa was only hard on the field and had a good heart . Great players , and decent blokes , a great spirit to have in any Club , more so these days .

I wonder how that chap in your avatar felt after Poppa had tackled him ? He really knew how to pile-drive them into the turf .

_Johnsy

Referee
The guy forgets his meds on a regular basis and then starts barking orders at me. This being so, I have to talk to him in such a manner in the hope it sinks in.
You can always ignore or dismiss it, it seems to work for plenty in here.

Old Timer

Coach
How do you reckon 'Puff' would have gone outside of G.Widdop...

Mad I would have thought..
I do like your humour and candour but I somehow think Puff had enough smarts to have sorted that issue out something a bit like this.
Hey Kandos I need you do something for me?
OK Puff what's that?
Go and give the pom a good reason as to why he should run straight.
Hey Widdop yeh Kandos.
Puff said you need to run straighter.
Why's that?
Smack, whack OK pom sing "tip toe thorough the tulips"
Nip no noo ner nulips in a broad Yorkshire accent followed.
Hey Kandos how did you go explaining things to the Pom.
No problems Puff message understood.
I suppose you need to also ask how would Widdop have gone outside Billy Smith or George Evans?

I do like your humour and candour but I somehow think Puff had enough smarts to have sorted that issue out something a bit like this.
Hey Kandos I need you do something for me?
OK Puff what's that?
Go and give the pom a good reason as to why he should run straight.
Hey Widdop yeh Kandos.
Puff said you need to run straighter.
Why's that?
Smack, whack OK pom sing "tip toe thorough the tulips"
Nip no noo ner nulips in a broad Yorkshire accent followed.
Hey Kandos how did you go explaining things to the Pom.
No problems Puff message understood.
I suppose you need to also ask how would Widdop have gone outside Billy Smith or George Evans?

Well done OT.. A Good laugh.

Kandos... Another tough Ipswich boy I think.

"We're talking about the man even Johnny Sattler regards as the toughest to ever play the game."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...is-no-soft-touch/story-e6frexnr-1226620291243

How would Widdop have gone outside Smith or Evans ?

We used to have a play called "cut 1" .. you can guess who the "1" would be there.

I notice in the "Team of the Era" - Bobby Bugden was the half back elect .. Don't know much about him .. Will have to read up.

Sigurd

Juniors
You can always ignore or dismiss it, it seems to work for plenty in here.
Why would I do that? He may be bat s**t crazy but that is probably the reason he is just too much fun.
best thread in a long time...
It would be even better if BennyV didn't run away from the questions about his lord and savior, Gareth Widdop.
How do you reckon 'Puff' would have gone outside of G.Widdop...

Mad I would have thought..
I don't know well but after he was already established and if he had a good rugby league brain rather than being just a great athlete, which I suspect is the case, he would have had a quite word to the coach that went something like this:

RG: Coach, that guy from the UK is a friendly guy. Not very humble but friendly enough. Problem is he lacks the ability to do something so simple and especially fundamental for a 5/8 as run at speed, draw a defender and pass the ball. Me and Johnny agree this pretender has to go. He is completely f**king up the backline! Our dependable Kiwi winger has no trouble running, drawing a defender and passing. If we can't find anyone else, I suggest you give him a go at 5/8. He can't be any worse!

and if the coach were McGregor

Coach McGregor replies: WTF are you talking about? He is our marquee player and the best player in this team, including you. And your form over the last 3 years has been way down. I'm looking to trade you to Melbourne.

goggles

Juniors
It would be even better if BennyV didn't run away from the questions about his lord and savior, Gareth Widdop.

That is but one of the many things about forums that you seemingly fail to grasp Sigurd... They are a melting pot of ideas and beliefs, none of which you have to agree with, but all of which you are welcome to debate. Unfortunately for you, continually repeating the same mantra, and in the process being rude, arrogant and obnoxious, is not going to sway the opinion of too many others.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Smith would have challenged Bugden for half-back but you would have to move Langlands to centre and replace him at fullback with Graham.

Bench
I seem to remember graham ogrady was a great defensive 5/8 when he played for us

The Doc

Juniors
Why would I do that? He may be bat s**t crazy but that is probably the reason he is just too much fun.

I don't know well but after he was already established and if he had a good rugby league brain rather than being just a great athlete, which I suspect is the case, he would have had a quite word to the coach that went something like this:

RG: Coach, that guy from the UK is a friendly guy. Not very humble but friendly enough. Problem is he lacks the ability to do something so simple and especially fundamental for a 5/8 as run at speed, draw a defender and pass the ball. Me and Johnny agree this pretender has to go. He is completely f**king up the backline! Our dependable Kiwi winger has no trouble running, drawing a defender and passing. If we can't find anyone else, I suggest you give him a go at 5/8. He can't be any worse!

and if the coach were McGregor

Coach McGregor replies: WTF are you talking about? He is our marquee player and the best player in this team, including you. And your form over the last 3 years has been way down. I'm looking to trade you to Melbourne.
Dude, seriously, take ur shit elsewhere!!
You hijack and f#ck up every thread.
No one gives a flying f@ck about ur little kids attitude with going at it with bennyV.
Sort ur shit out in pm's and stop f@cking up every thread.

_Johnsy

Referee
Dude, seriously, take ur shit elsewhere!!
You hijack and f#ck up every thread.
No one gives a flying f@ck about ur little kids attitude with going at it with bennyV.
Sort ur shit out in pm's and stop f@cking up every thread.
Nigh on impossible to argue against this sentiment. Credit where it is due, if sigturd is making a concerted effort to be a dickwad, top shelf effort.