What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signing News

mickeylane

Bench
Gray's a winger and he's off to the Sharks.

It's seemingly more and more likely Johnston's coming to us, just praying that the plan isn't for him to play Fullback and that we've signed him on a relatively cheap contract.
Johnston will be announced as soon - they have to try and get Mann Done first though

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Heard today that Souths expect Johnstone to sign with either the tigers or us. They are also trying to offload Aaron Gray to us because they are throwing the kitchen sink at Maloney & have told GI they will release him when they can find a suitable replacement.

Thanks mate.
But why do we want both

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Johnston HAS to be being looked at as a winger. The club rate Field and Dufty too highly, there is no way they will sign Johnston for 4 years as a fullback (with Widdop and Hunt signed for 4+ years) and completely disregard the juniors.

Crush

Coach
Johnston HAS to be being looked at as a winger. The club rate Field and Dufty too highly, there is no way they will sign Johnston for 4 years as a fullback (with Widdop and Hunt signed for 4+ years) and completely disregard the juniors.
So if that is the case then nightingale must be retiring because there is no way that MacDonald will make way for anyone.
I think if they sign johnston its as a fullback or nightingale will play fullback next year.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
So if that is the case then nightingale must be retiring because there is no way that MacDonald will make way for anyone.
I think if they sign johnston its as a fullback or nightingale will play fullback next year.

Then it will be a massive mistake. Johnston is a woeful fullback. He's a great finisher on the wing, but a turnstile at the back.

Trust me, they rate Jai Field in particular too highly to sign Johnston as a fullback. They will not shut the kid out for 4 years, they may as well ship him off to another club.

MilanDragon

Juniors

Nightingale did an interview the other day and every indication was he continues to play for another year. Unless they are thinking Johnston to wing and McDonald to centre?

Or Nightingale to FB for a season while continuing to groom Field/Dufty.

I just can't see Johnston signed as a long term fullback. Maybe we are going to play him as FB for one year then move him to wing year 2 while the others come through?

Just doesn't make sense to me.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Heard today that Souths expect Johnstone to sign with either the tigers or us. They are also trying to offload Aaron Gray to us because they are throwing the kitchen sink at Maloney & have told GI they will release him when they can find a suitable replacement.

@DRAGONSTAV get your mate Pascoe to sign Alex Johnson up for the Tigers....

Crush

Coach
Nightingale did an interview the other day and every indication was he continues to play for another year. Unless they are thinking Johnston to wing and McDonald to centre?

Or Nightingale to FB for a season while continuing to groom Field/Dufty.

I just can't see Johnston signed as a long term fullback. Maybe we are going to play him as FB for one year then move him to wing year 2 while the others come through?

Just doesn't make sense to me.
I agree, it does not make sense. Why target an expensive winger when they have Macdonald, nighty, mann if re-signed.
Anyway, I trust they know what they are doing. They are doing pretty well of late so we shall see. Regardless of what they do they will get destroyed by half the forum though....

MilanDragon

Juniors
I agree, it does not make sense. Why target an expensive winger when they have Macdonald, nighty, mann if re-signed.
Anyway, I trust they know what they are doing. They are doing pretty well of late so we shall see. Regardless of what they do they will get destroyed by half the forum though....

Mate if they do something they get destroyed by half the forum.

If they don't do the exact same thing they get destroyed by the same half of the forum.

Dragons 09

Juniors
I have no problem signing Johnston for the right price as a winger . The kid is only 22 years old won a GF and played for Australia . He is in a toxic environment at South's and would be great outside Lafai on the left side .
That's probably the most balanced response to the Johnston rumour i have read on here. Intelligent post.
Something is really on the nose over at Souths and affecting more than just a few players.

Have the Dragons actually even spoken to him or his manager seems to be they had their priorities on Lafai then another forward.

The rumour about lillyman was a load as he wants to head back to Qld.

Lussick they sure as hell could do alot better then that penalty magnet.

Oh not forgetting Waler who would be an absolute waste of cap space.

Gareth67

First Grade
I have no idea what the remaining budget is now that they have resigned Lafai , however once Mann is resigned (?) you would think that ( as Coast Dragons has already said ) , the remainder would be used to sign a damn good prop forward.

Over the last few years Recruitment was guilty of signing too many over the hill 2nd -rowers . Now it seems that an extra back is to be signed , one too many , considering that we already have some very classy backs at the club .

Packer must be replaced , but only by another Prop whom will command respect from opposition forwards , and that is going to cost the Dragons some big dollars for the right man . Let's hope that they have it.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
I've heard we are marching hard at making AP a signing for the Dragons

Not a super credible rumour but have heard a few people I know saying same thing

My gut is we might being used to up his contract to stay at titans