What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signings

parralight

Juniors
Personally I just cant wait till 30 June so we can get this signing business out in the open and get on with it.

As long as its not Judas then Im happy.

Stagger eel

Staff member
parralight said:
Personally I just cant wait till 30 June so we can get this signing business out in the open and get on with it.

As long as its not Judas then Im happy.

I don't think you'll have any problems there.

stuke

Bench
Newcastle players would be able to save on petrol costs as Hagan is supposed to be commuting...could help in contract negotiations. :sarcasm:

parralight

Juniors
eelavation said:
I don't think you'll have any problems there.

Dont know eela, is it just me but do others have this feeling that the club may just sign Judas after all ?
Just a bad feeling that I have.. cant explain it.
I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but if the club has chased him hard and he signs for 400K or so I will be filthy...

I never want that thing to soil an eels jersey again.

dazeely

First Grade
I wouldn't go that far parralight re Judas. Would still look good in blue and gold. Could very well be planned to give other clubs false hopes thinking they could go all out for him. That way we can sneak in and pinch a few other players whilst they are not watching. Onya Fitzy. Great plan.

dazeely

First Grade
June 30. Only a few days away until I wake up to read Parra has signed Judas, Asotasi, Nate Myles, Creagh, Poore and Sims. Me greedy - never. Can't wait.

bartman

Immortal
Not wanting to start another Judas debate, and he is currently out of favour with me for not following through and committing to the club before June 30.

But technically he never walked out on the club, he went where he did with the the club's blessing and to the club's financial benefit. So he should be thought of as clinicly as any of our other off-contract players until he becomes a free agent on June 30.

That is, the club needs to decide "is <insert name here> likely to be useful to have on board in 2007 and worth the effort to retain? If so, work out the number of years and monetary value the club is willing to part with and leave the rest up to the player to consider. Taking the emotion out of it he is still one of the world's best players, and if he ends up accepting the original terms that were offerred, he will be more than useful in a blue and gold jersey.

But unless there's a hidden conspiracy at work, I'm very disappointed the guy hasn't made amends and followed through on his talk in the media, or that his current player-manager saw the contract offer as a chance to take an overseas holiday...

bartman

Immortal
A currently signed 1st choice squad (I think, may be errors though):

1. ? (was McKinnon)
2. Luke Burt
3. Ben Smith
4. Timana Tahu
5. Eric Grothe
6. ? (was Morris)
7. Tim Smith
8. Nathan Cayless
9. Mark Riddell
10. ? (was Stringer)
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. ? (was Morrsion)
13. Chad Robinson

14. PJ Marsh
15. ? (was Widders)
16. Michael Vella?
17. Fui Fui Moi Moi

Fill in the blanks - five new name players to sign.

Plus we need to make sure we have at least another eight others retained that can capably play first grade when required:
eg. Reddy, Hayne, Williams, Wagon, Tsoulos, Cordoba?, Taia?, Green?, Inu?

bartman

Immortal
Yes it is. And I did say technically... He walked out on the situation he was in, there's no argument there.

All I meant is that the club has still controlled his destiny the whole time. We could have made him sit out and not play comepetitively at all until he re-considered his situation. Instead the club allowed him to go to Wee Waa, and then the club allowed him to go to St Helens, in the same way the club did not allow him to play for certain NRL clubs. The club has been in control, whether we liked how it turned out or not, someone who "walks out" of something (eg work, a relationship etc) gets total control back in their own hands.

yy_cheng

Coach
bartman said:
or that his current player-manager saw the contract offer as a chance to take an overseas holiday...

If he gets a 500K+ contract elsewhere, his manager would have plenty of dough to go where ever he wants.

I personally think (no facts here) that he had intend to try and make up and come back to Parra, but his manager seeing the $$ that gaz got, swayed him to turn against us again.

Gronk

Staff member
yy_cheng said:
If he gets a 500K+ contract elsewhere, his manager would have plenty of dough to go where ever he wants.

I personally think (no facts here) that he had intend to try and make up and come back to Parra, but his manager seeing the $$ that gaz got, swayed him to turn against us again.

Yeah I'd say you've hit the nail on the head there. :(

Gronk

Staff member
Origin start gives Simpson chance to cash in

Brad Walter
June 28, 2006

NSW forward Steve Simpson is set to become one of the biggest names on the player transfer market after his selection for Origin III enabled him to become a free agent.

Simpson, whose contract with Newcastle wasn't due to expire for another year, will be able to negotiate with rival clubs after next Wednesday night's series decider as his appearance in the Telstra Dome clash activates an escape clause.

The 26-year-old second-rower had the clause written into his contract when he last re-signed with the Knights at the end of the 2003 season, allowing him a release if he plays six Origin games.

Having played all three matches of last year's series and the opening two games this season, Simpson's selection for the decider in Melbourne means he is now open to offers - and the Test star is certain to attract interest from other clubs.

Brisbane, Sydney Roosters and North Queensland are known to be in the market for back-rowers, while he may also be a target for Parramatta, who will be coached next season by Newcastle's Michael Hagan.

The Knights had already opened talks with Simpson's manager, George Mimis after anticipating that he would be retained for his eighth Origin appearance since debuting for NSW in 2002, but confirmation of his selection has made upgrading and extending the Singleton junior's contract a matter of urgency for the club.

"I think George is going to meet with them again in the next week and we'll see what happens after that," Simpson said yesterday from Melbourne after the Blues' arrival in the Victorian capital. "I'd like to stay with Newcastle, but it would be silly of me not to consider any other offers as well."

After missing most of the 2004 season with a broken foot, Simpson has been a mainstay of the NSW side over the past two years and he admitted the clause was a good incentive.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/o...ance-to-cash-in/2006/06/27/1151174202934.html

;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

Wobbygong

First Grade
Agreed probably not original, but it still makes me laugh everytime I think Parramatta paid $300k a season for Riddell to play his 15 minutes per game.

Could your NRL squad be any more overweight and unfit?