What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Simon Mannering

nzwarriors60

Juniors
Yea is definatly at the top of the list, it would be the biggest mistake ever if we let him go unless Lillyman turns out good and Fai finally lives up to the hype. Anyway who is off-contract at the end of this year.

Omegamanson

Juniors
Yea is definatly at the top of the list, it would be the biggest mistake ever if we let him go unless Lillyman turns out good and Fai finally lives up to the hype. Anyway who is off-contract at the end of this year.

I'd rather see Lillyman in career best form, Fai living up to his hype as well as keeping Mannering.. :D :D How good would that be?

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Off the top of my head Tuimavave, Henderson, Fien, Price, Ah Van, and Witt are off contract as well.

Iafeta

Referee
lol

Asotasi
Frog
Luke
Kidwell

I suppose that they wouldnt drop themselves to that level either?

Mannering looks set to join the elite of NZ at Souths.

Afterall, he is elite himself.

You lose the debate when you said Kidwell. He is way past his career use by date.

playdaball

Bench
Off the top of my head Tuimavave, Henderson, Fien, Price, Ah Van, and Witt are off contract as well.

It is an interesting list:

Depending on what happens in 2009:

Witt will probably go especially if Kemp can kick goals
Price may be good for another year
Hendo and Fien may get better offers
The club has invested a lot into Evarn it is time for him to deliver
Ah Van - he is still so young

Martli

Coach
I imagine Ah Van will move on if he's kept behind Kemp/Solomona. Hasn't really put a foot wrong, but doesn't get the same kind of game time he got in 06/07 (I think).

Skinner

Coach
Why do you believe that? Do you think his hype has been blown way out of proportion?

Yes, absolutely Sam. Folks saw his flash and strength and failed to see
his complete lack of basic skills in other areas - his error rate is simply too
high for first grade.

No one seems to be able to coach that out of him.

Maybe it's a time thing and he may be a late developer...hope so anyway.

blain

Juniors
I imagine Ah Van will move on if he's kept behind Kemp/Solomona. Hasn't really put a foot wrong, but doesn't get the same kind of game time he got in 06/07 (I think).

dont forget kirk, i wouldnt be suprised if someones let go before the end of thier contract..

Micistm

Bench
Yes, absolutely Sam. Folks saw his flash and strength and failed to see
his complete lack of basic skills in other areas - his error rate is simply too
high for first grade.

No one seems to be able to coach that out of him.

Maybe it's a time thing and he may be a late developer...hope so anyway.

I feel a bit sorry for these kids who are hyped up to crazy levels and bagged when their inexperience comes out. There were a couple of other youngys who stepped up last season but could do so without the hype and the microscope over them-Half wanting Fai to succeed, half willing the guy to fail just so either camp can say i told you so.
I dunno about Fai, but I reckon he'll be okay if left to his own devices with the coaches to iron out some rough spots.
But I gotta admit that's one of the things I love about our players! You never know what you're gonna get! Like with Manu for eg, you can cringe at times but he makes up for it by doing some ripper stuff as well

Dave Q

Coach
Not too concerned at this stage. If they'd mentioned clubs other than Souths I might have been more concerned. No offence to Souths but Rusty's millions get connected with every off contract player these days so having their name attatched to it is nothing really.

I'd be very annoyed if we lost Mannering though, especially if it were salary cap related when I consider Lillyman excess.

Souths recognise his greatness.

Now with no Reni and a few overs coming off contract, a world recession, we will have heaps to throw at him.

ozbash

Referee
Wayne Scurrah insists it is all systems go for Simon Mannering to remain at the Warriors – if the price is right.

Mannering is the target of Russell Crowe’s South Sydney, who are preparing to swoop if the Kiwis World Cup winner ends his contract negotiations with the Warriors.
Mannering is off contract at the end of this year and the big utility is being wooed by the Rabbitohs who want to add him to their large Kiwi contingent which includes David Fa’alogo, David Kidwell and Isaac Luke.
But the Warriors will have the first crack at securing Mannering’s services beyond 2009 with the player’s manager Steve Gillis only going to the market if he can’t negotiate a satisfactory deal with the Auckland outfit.
And last night Warriors boss Scurrah was giving no indication
"Do we want Simon to remain with the Warriors? Absolutely," Scurrah told Sunday News.
"If all parties are realistic I'd like to think we can get it over the line."
Mannering is one of the league's most wanted after proving his worth as a world-class second-rower and centre.
His versatility has ensured that Souths are one of six NRL teams chasing the 22-year-old's services for 2010 and beyond.
But the Bunnies, with space available under their salary cap for 2010 and beyond, are clear favourites outside of the Warriors in the chase for Mannering's signature.
Gillis said last week the footballer is anxious to settle his long-term future as soon as possible.
"Simon wants to explore extending his contract with the Warriors and hopefully we can sort something out quickly," Gillis said.
"I'll be talking to (Warriors CEO) Wayne Scurrah in the next fortnight. Things are starting to take shape."
Sunday News has been told Scurrah and Gillis have already begun negotiations with talks at an "advanced stage".
Gillis has long been impressed with Scurrah and football manager John Hart.
They negotiated Mannering's contract ahead of the 2006 season which featured a massive leap in cash from his initial 2005 deal under the club's previous management.
And that relationship could be the key to ensuring the workaholic Mannering who has notched up 77 first-grade games since his debut remains a Warrior.
"Simon is pretty happy at the club and we'd dearly love to have him but he is going to be pretty popular with quite a few clubs," Scurrah said.
"You always get to a stage with a player like Simon where there is always going to be another club offering more money.
"So, it comes down to the agent, the player and the club wanting to agree terms.
"If you look at a guy like Simon, the question isn't how many games he plays it's how many he doesn't. He plays in just about every game for the club week-in, week-out.
"And his performance with sponsors and fans mean he's an ideal role model for any club.
"Those are all reasons as to why we'd like to keep him at the club.
"Commercial reality and the salary cap has to be taken into account as well (but) Steve is one of the best agents to work with.
"If the player and the club are of the same mind if we can satisfy the requirement of the agent and Simon then we'd love to do that."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4809029a1823.html

Micistm

Bench
TBH I have a soft spot for Souths, and I'll be cheering him on there if he went...but obviously I really want the guy sewn up longterm for us.

Dave Q

Coach
We are warriors mark 2 anyways.

He will feel at home with all the kiwis at Souths.

These days, we would be nothing without New Zealand.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Well, it looks like we've probably got a bit more room under the cap for second-rower salaries now with Fai gone- although I wish we hadn't.

blain

Juniors
im pretty sure he was on decent money, we had to buy him at a decent price because other clubs were chasing him. i had heard around 150k

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
im pretty sure he was on decent money, we had to buy him at a decent price because other clubs were chasing him. i had heard around 150k

Yeah thats be about what I'd have guessed. It'd be enough to to be able to allow us to chuck a bit extra at Mannering's contract if we need to retain him, provided we didn't look to sign a replacement.
How long's Matulino signed for by the way? I'd be using Fai's money to help lock him and Mannering up, as they're our long-term back-row future.