What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Simpson Gone????

parra pete

Referee
parralight said:
Parra Pete, Always read your posts with interest as you do come across as a person who knows a bit about players - mostly I agree with you but cant understand why you dont rate Tim Smith ?
The boy CAN play He does need a good 5/8 next to him though.

I didn't write it..but I agree with the sentiments expressed - in the letter of the week in this week's RLW.
He doesn't run the ball at all. His total hitups and metres gained THIS season would not have him over halfway if they were all added up and he started from the try line. That is not good enough for a quarterback in Rugby League.
He does not have one 40/20 to his credit, and he is targetted in defence. He has found tries with a couple of kicks, but his tactical kicking has been found wanting this season.
He has not fulfilled the promise he showed in 2005....He choked badly in the match against Cowboys..and has never recovered. But that's just my estimation. I'm not the world's best judge. Just someone who has watched a lot of football over the years. If you like him, good on ya. Don't let me influence how you think about him.. That's what makes Rugby League a good game. We all have different opinions. If everyone thought the same it would be a boring old world.
In my opinion, Tim would not be in first grade at any other Club...

parralight

Juniors
parra pete said:
Don't let me influence how you think about him.. ..

No.. I think I can work it out by myself.....big boy now.:lol:

IMO he has the talent but confidence is a wonderful thing.

parralight

Juniors
Phillips said:
lets not forget his 20 forward passes every game :crazy:

I think he is a little picked on by the officials.
I was at Parra stadium when Delaney was called back and there was NO way it was forward.
I think the refs know that he does pass the occassional forward ball but all the line ball ones are always called forward.
Ive seen some pretty dusty ones let go in recent weeks by other clubs.

Y2Eel

First Grade
parra pete said:
I didn't write it..but I agree with the sentiments expressed - in the letter of the week in this week's RLW.
He doesn't run the ball at all. His total hitups and metres gained THIS season would not have him over halfway if they were all added up and he started from the try line. That is not good enough for a quarterback in Rugby League.
He does not have one 40/20 to his credit, and he is targetted in defence. He has found tries with a couple of kicks, but his tactical kicking has been found wanting this season.
He has not fulfilled the promise he showed in 2005....He choked badly in the match against Cowboys..and has never recovered. But that's just my estimation. I'm not the world's best judge. Just someone who has watched a lot of football over the years. If you like him, good on ya. Don't let me influence how you think about him.. That's what makes Rugby League a good game. We all have different opinions. If everyone thought the same it would be a boring old world.
In my opinion, Tim would not be in first grade at any other Club...

yeah well i cant argue with that, except he's be half at the roosters anytime that clubs going worse then us...

Eelementary

Post Whore
Just on that quarterback comment...

In the NFL, very few elite NFL QB's actually rush (aka run) the ball that much. Of course, Michael Vick is the exception, but he's more of a Halfback playing QB...

Anyway. These guys do all their work with their arms and eyes ONLY. And it works for them.

Yes, NFL is different to NRL. But last year, Tim tore the competition apart by passing and kicking only. Why should he suddenly develop a running game?

btaag

Juniors
Tim's attitude has not been the best this year, but he is (was) under enourmous pressure to back-up from last year.

One thing in his defence is that the forwards are just not laying the platform that they should, or did last year.

We need 2-3 big forwards to come to the club, or 2-3 of the kids to step up next season.

He shows glimpses of being able to run the ball, but almost needs to have his foot strapped down :)

parra pete

Referee
Because the coaches work them out. If they can't adapt their game they are not worth a place.They have to be able to adjust to the moment
Games are dominated by the doers...not the perhapsers...Perhaps he will play to his potential, perhaps he'll put some good kicks in,..
The one constant with Tim's game is HE WON'T take the line on..Watch him closely on Saturday against the Raiders.

CrazyEel

Bench
Tim doesn't need to take the line on anymore than Sterlo did, what he needs is a decent pack to work behind and a decent 5/8 with a good running game to compliment him, and Morris is not a 5/8ths arsehole.

mickdo

Coach
Eelementary said:
Just on that quarterback comment...

In the NFL, very few elite NFL QB's actually rush (aka run) the ball that much. Of course, Michael Vick is the exception, but he's more of a Halfback playing QB...
Don't forget McNabb!!!

Eelementary

Post Whore
mickdo said:
Don't forget McNabb!!!

True.

You have:

* Your Michael Vicks - Halfbacks that have a throwing capacity;

* Your Donovan McNabbs, Daunte Culpeppers, etc. - "Complete" QB's that can throw AND rush; and

* Your Brett Favres, Kerry Collins', etc. - guys that can only throw.

I guess my main point was that, traditionally, a QB throws for his receivers, and nowadays you have guys like McNabb and Culpepper that can make plays with their arms AND legs. But still Favre is considered (or was considered) the most dangerous QB in the game, despite the fact he can only pass. And that is because he's so damned good at passing.

So, if Tim is so damned good at passing and kicking, he doesn't really need a running game.

Mind you, it WOULD help.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Eelementary said:
But last year, Tim tore the competition apart by passing and kicking only. Why should he suddenly develop a running game?

Because his kicking and passing have been found out and he needs another dimension to his game. Thurston can run, kick and pass and that's why he's so good, other teams don't know what he will do. With Tim it's either a kick or a pass, it makes him so readable.

Tim's been found out, he needs to add some variety to his game if he is to make a career out of Rugby League, which I don't think he can or will.

Eelementary

Post Whore
ParraDude_Jay said:
Because his kicking and passing have been found out and he needs another dimension to his game. Thurston can run, kick and pass and that's why he's so good, other teams don't know what he will do. With Tim it's either a kick or a pass, it makes him so readable.

Tim's been found out, he needs to add some variety to his game if he is to make a career out of Rugby League, which I don't think he can or will.

Good point.

I wouldn't mind if he took the line on a bit more - he's done it at times this year and looked dangerous.

The Colonel

Immortal
ParraDude_Jay said:

I also think they have found out Morris. Last year they combined well. This year if they rushed Morris and took him out of the play they cut down Tim's options. This uis where a player who is a 5/8 as opposed to a utility would be a better option. He does take the line on as witnessed in a couple of tries this year where he has gone to the line and then taken the option. Problem is he needs to do it more and that will come with time.

yy_cheng

Coach
The Colonel said:
I also think they have found out Morris. Last year they combined well. This year if they rushed Morris and took him out of the play they cut down Tim's options. This uis where a player who is a 5/8 as opposed to a utility would be a better option. He does take the line on as witnessed in a couple of tries this year where he has gone to the line and then taken the option. Problem is he needs to do it more and that will come with time.

If that's the case, that's where the coaching staff has failed.

If they could see that by watching tapes, there should always be a 2nd option behind Morris beit TIT or Widders.

The move that I always see to great effect is the Broncs with Lockyer and 2nd man play to Hunt but he has the option to pass to the 1st player.

The roosters used to do that too with Mini as the 2nd man play.

For the eels there are no options and so our outside backs sees no ball.

Gee imagine a Smith ball looking to pass to morris but going to a 2nd player in TIT going at an angle and then slipping a ball to a flying grothe running at the opposite angle.

BTW, we really lack any type of SET PLAYS. It seems adlib. The one we use most is passing to hindy at 5/8th from a scrum but the opposition had worked that play out 10 years ago. :roll:

mickdo

Coach
yy_cheng said:
BTW, we really lack any type of SET PLAYS. It seems adlib. The one we use most is passing to hindy at 5/8th from a scrum but the opposition had worked that play out 10 years ago. :roll:
That's it in a nutshell. When we won the minor premiership last year we had all sorts of runners in motion and set plays that got us there. Now we've gone back to one out rubbish again, hence our crap spot on the ladder.