What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Simpson handed Knights captaincy duties

cram

Bench
http://www.nrl.com/News/Latest/NewsArticle/tabid/76/NewsId/2831/Default.aspx

Simpson handed Knights captaincy duties

Monday, September 4, 2006 - 11:45 AM
Andrew Johns says Test backrower Steve Simpson will handle some of Newcastle's captaincy duties in Friday's NRL qualifying final with Manly at EnergyAustralia Stadium.
Johns, who has skippered the Knights all season when on the field, will be playing his first game in three weeks after receiving a two-match ban for verbally abusing a touch judge during Newcastle's narrow lost to Manly in round 23.
At the launch of the NRL finals series at Aussie Stadium, Johns revealed he approached coach Michael Hagan about taking some of the leadership burden off his shoulders and he said Simpson would be the player who would speak to the referee during the game.
"We're going to share the captaincy around this week, and Steve Simpson's going to do most of the on-field captaincy," said Johns.
"It's just about spreading the leadership and getting the pressure off me.
"So if any questions are going to be asked to the referee, I think Steve Simpson is going to be going up.
"My record with the toss isn't too good this year so Steve will do the toss as well.
"I went to the coach and put it to him, I just think it spreads the pressure out a little bit more.
"I suppose a lot pressure would have been on me coming back this week and how I approach things.
"We've got a lot of leaders in the team. We've got Danny Buderus who's captained his state and Matt Gidley is also a leader in his own right, so it just spreads it out and helps everyone out."

Source: AAP

Lets hope he is still the one dealing with the players because we need his passion and motivation.

Good idea though as him and Bedsy fly off the handle way too much.

cram

Bench
Yeah I think it will be situation normal in terms of running the show on field...its just the talking to the ref side of things....Johns and Danny arent realy flash in that area.

macavity

Referee
if the fcucking knunt refs didnt get it wrong all the time, they wouldn't fly off the handle.... ;-)

Burwood

Bench
Maybe next year we will see the club revert back to a "club captain" position, similar to when Billy Peden was captain. Johns will handle all of the off-field promotions and publicity, while a player like Simpson will be the on-field captain?

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Are you serious? Its one slight change. I don't think changing who's going to be talking to the ref is going to change things around too much.

Alex28

Coach
Lets face it, it is a title only. Joey will still dictate what happens on the field - just like he has in the last 10 years...

Ben

Bench
I think it would be better for Johns to stay away from the referees for a while. Just so another potential incident won't occur and Johns and the Knights won't get bashed through the media.

Gene Krupa

Referee
I've got no problem with him. Look at SSO last year. No captain responsibilities and he played a blinder!

Kazaf

Juniors
I do hope Joey will have the C next to his name if we do qualify to the semi's and finals :eek:!!!!!!!

roopy

Referee
Captaincy in League is nothing.
The coach makes all the decisions.
All the captain can do is argue with the ref - and he shouldn't do that.

In cricket it is a real job - in league it could be done by the water boy.