What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Since the NRL has begun....

ByRd

First Grade
Since the NRL (in its current form from 1998) begun out of all the Premiers, which team/year did you get behind and cheer them on to the trophy and what year gave you a real surprise and a sense of happiness??? (Also EXCLUDE your own teams cause everyone will say theres)

What you guys think?

ByRd

First Grade
Ill start things off by saying that the Panthers in 2003 were the team i got behind and i was so glad to see them beat the roosters, also the "fairytale" story and how they come from nowhere since previous years was good to see.

2005 when the bulldogs went from premiers to gooooooooneskies and i got behind the tigers like every other person whos team didnt make the semis

2002 too because we won (i kno u said not our team but meh) and also because of the bulldogs saga, gave me great satisfaction

ocko

juniors
wow, another sad roosters fan, i'm shocked

the tigers winning was cringeworthy, if only for all the bandwagoners

doglyf said:
Since the NRL (in its current form from 1998) begun out of all the Premiers, which team/year did you get behind and cheer them on to the trophy and what year gave you a real surprise and a sense of happiness??? (Also EXCLUDE your own teams cause everyone will say theres)

What you guys think?

the knights are good guys, anytime they win it is good. especially as no-one gave them a chance and johns played with a crook groin and still got them up.

then penrith in 03'

sattler was pure class.

effnic

Bench
2001. Knights. (Anyone to beat the scum.)
2003. Fairytale Panthers ( I watched this grand final dvd the other day and all i can say is wtf has happened to Priddis he was a machine i tells ya.)
2005. Fairytale Tigers

Bomber

Bench
2003 - Panthers

Additionally, I was genuinely pleased for the Tigers and Tigers fans, despite them beating my own team in 2005.

kooriguy

Juniors
i would say none since 98 since i cant pick panthers and every other year i tipped the loser, except for 2000 but boring game.
1999 st george were robbed by that d-head ainscogh
2000 was a borathon, roosters didnt put up a fight
2001 i tipped parra lost a wad of cash
2002 was barracking for the warriors, untill they hit freddy but still wasnt much of a fan of either team
2003 the mighty panthers won it in fairytale style
2004 bulldogs vs roosters nuff said
2005 lost a wad of cash on this one had a $500 dollar bet with a workmate.
2006 tipped storm from mid season.. was disapointed they failed at last hurdle.

johns_reds

First Grade
As i can't pick the broncos then:

1991 - Penrith defeating Canberra
1994 - Canberra defating bulldogs
1999 - Melbourn beating St George
2003 - Penrith defeating Roosters

*edit* i think i read the thread wrong, but anwyay they were the years when the team i wanted to win did win, and that list is not including the broncos

strewth_mate

Bench
I was happy to see the Tigers get up, but was a bit disappointed that they had to beat the Cowboys to do it, as in any other circumstance they'd be the team I'd be cheering for. And tbh I thought the game itself was a bit ordinary but who cares, the result makes it a good story.

Besides that, obviously Penrith.

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
2005, hands down. Started cheering for the Tigers when they were down a crapload of points in an early season game against the Bulldogs, and stuck with them throughout the year.
2005 rekindled my interest in League, which had basically died off after '98.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Definately Penrith in 2003, not matter gave them a chance, they were minor premiers and only lost 6 games all year, they were up against a side who previously played in a GF. It was a great game too, Sattler's tackle, Priddis' try and two tries he set up. It was a fairytale finish, coming from the last 2 years before to win the title.

2005 was good to see Wests Tigers win cause they havent won anything in ages, and a lot of people expected the Dragons to become to first joint venture to win the comp. Didnt enjoy it as much as 2003 cause the game wasnt as good and Parra was beaten the week before. :(

colonel_123

Juniors
As a Tigers fan 2005 was of course extremely exciting for me.

However I can imagine to the casual observer that it might have lacked a little of that grand final feel simply because (and no offence intended to Cowboys supporters) it's seemed a bit hard to think of it as the clash between the two best teams after Wests had put 50 points on Cowboys in the first week of the finals at the same ground the grand final would be played.

As I Tigers fan I always felt the grand final was the match against the Dragons.

Latest posts