What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Singing at Games

All in Aus though right? Please, attend a match in Europe or South America some day so you can compare it to something more legit, rather than just other farcical codes in Aus.

Farcical codes?

Gimme a break.

Per Capita the codes here are right up there with anything you care to mention.

The lack of singing doesn't seem to affect that does it?

bobmar28

Bench
I reckon it is lack of passion. Generally i find the vast majority of Australians a pretty unpassionate lot, laid back is good but every now and again it is good to fire up! Maybe if there was more positive outlets of passion we would see less n0bs getting a skinful and thinking they are Mike Tyson.

I'll be at Craven Park and JJB stadium in a few weeks then AAMI and looking forweard to singing myself horse. Its not been a good game unless you can't speak at work on a Monday!

Loudtart most people go to the game for the gameday atmosphere, if it is silent you might as well be sat at home. The better the atmosphere the better the experience. Best atmosphere I've been at (apart from Hull derbies) is down in perpignan. If you ever get chance to go to a les Catalans game get there, its amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D1xbK71tcU&feature=related

In all my years of attending league games I have never been to one that was silent. Which games do you go to? Tune in to the next Bulldogs game and then tell me if it was silent.

langpark

First Grade
Farcical codes?

Gimme a break.

Per Capita the codes here are right up there with anything you care to mention.

The lack of singing doesn't seem to affect that does it?
are you suddenly switching this to a "crowds per capita" debate? Stay on topic please. All the other codes have equally boring atmospheres at their matches.

bobmar28

Bench
you're deliberately taking the word 'singing' out of context to imply that it's something girly.

Remember, when 20,000 people are 'singing', it sounds more like a roar. I have to tell you this seeing as you've clearly never had a matchday experience outside of the NRL and probably the odd state cricket match. My point is, believe it or not, this can lift the home team and/or be very intimidating for the visiting team.

That's exactly what it is.

bobmar28

Bench
you're deliberately taking the word 'singing' out of context to imply that it's something girly.

Remember, when 20,000 people are 'singing', it sounds more like a roar. I have to tell you this seeing as you've clearly never had a matchday experience outside of the NRL and probably the odd state cricket match. My point is, believe it or not, this can lift the home team and/or be very intimidating for the visiting team.

You know what sounds like a roar? 80,000 people booing the ref at a state of origin game.

are you suddenly switching this to a "crowds per capita" debate? Stay on topic please. All the other codes have equally boring atmospheres at their matches.

Actually, it's your stupid "farcical codes" comment that began it.

Didn't take long to out you did it?

To be honest, I knew straight away what you were, you're the type of person your sport doesn't need in Australia.

Soccer needs you like a groom needs a scorching case of herpes on his wedding night.

Singing at games = passion.

:lol:

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
can understand why some don't wish to sing abusive songs to opposition, this is generally the english style that originates froma piss-taking/bantering/smart assed type culture. If you look at eurpoean and south american styles it is much different and doesn't involve abuse and is much more creative but generally involves decent size chants that are a few versus long and require some remembering. Singing "you're just a suburb of ipswich" to the broncos and "who ate all the pies" to inglis is (i might have done both) is pretty tame and kept to that sort of level isn't all that offensive but anything further then that would be taken the wrong way by other fans. I think dingbat summed it up well in the post at the top of the page, very different game that would involve a very different sort of singing, even just "organised noise" can sound awesome when done in unison by a few thousand. Simple example, common chant between a-league teams is "3-2-1", every stands with the hands out, someone out the front screams "3-2-1" and then at the same time everyone claps once and yells the team name in a short burst, repeats and gradually gets quicker until its eventually just the old fashioned <insert team> clap clap clap etc. Very simple, but when done right that short burst of noise each time done in unison is deafening and sounds awesome as it bounces around the ground. Dont expect crowds to go for the full 80 minutes with the mentality supporters have in this country but there are lots of things like what i mentioned above that can be done pretty easily every now and then to add to the spectacle as it is basically jsut funnelling the noise you would usually hear at a game and amplifying it a bit. Wouldn't expect to see everyone break out in a "you will never walk alone" type anthem but there are definately a few things that can be managed with how fast our game flows compared to others, even if its just a few times a game for a minute or two

babyg

Juniors
If you want people to sing at Australian sporting events you need to come up with a form of singing that matches the sport. Soccer is great for singing because there's a long time between goals so you can get a whole song or three in before the next one. Aussie sport doesn't generally work that way.

If you want League supporters to sing then you have to modify it to suit League or every song will break down every time there's a big hit, a change of possession, etc. How about songs for particular parts of the game? When you're a long way ahead you have a song, if the ref is killing your team with penalties you have a song, if you need your team to hold in goal line defense you have a chant or song, etc. But most importantly have some songs you can sing after tries. Everyone cheers, everyone goes crazy and then you sit around waiting for the goal kick and reset. THAT's when you bust out the songs, wether rubbing it in or giving it to the ref for favouring the other team etc. What about before the game or half time? Sing songs then when there's no play and you can rub it in if you're winning (tell the other team to give up now etc) or amp your team up for a better half. We wont need that crap muzak if everyone is singing at half time.

Oh, and those chants dont happen themselves. There's people who lead those chants. You got to educate people so they know what the chant is, when to join in, and then you need someone leading the thing.

Good post

Spanner in the works

First Grade
Bullshit. I've watched dozens of English soccer games and I've never seen a flag or banner.

Give me flags, banners and cheering any day over clapping and singing.

On television... You said it yourself. Why don't you buy yourself a plane ticket and go to a EPL, La Liga or Serie A game first before discussing what happens at a game and which has the better atmosphere?

Last edited:
Just so that you know, the NRL is an Australian Rugby League competition.

It's not Soccer.

It's not English, Welsh, Portuguese, Spanish or a club competition in any other country apart from Australian you care to mention.

Getting rid of the notion that people who sing at games have more passion than people who don't sing would be your best course of action in this matter.

The Yanks don't do it, the Kiwis don't do it and Australians don't do it. Don't get carried away because a few people sing at A League games, if I were as bored at the games as I am watching them on TV, I'd probably want to find something else to occupy myself too.

WireMan

Bench
Plenty of singing in the rugby in the super league. Loads of opportunities. When you score, a big tackle, a good old fight, the other lot belt out a song, the ref is corrupt, there is some lovely lady walking past, there is a fatty in the away section, someone from your team does a nice bit of skill, someone on the other team drops a clanger.

Its culture thing, Aussies seem like a quite bunch on the whole at grounds, and there does not seem to be the same tribal thing going on. Especially in Sydney. The lack of hatred doesn't help the atmosphere.

Players who come over from Aus do comment on the crowds though, i think they would like more chanting and support.

All this doesn't mean Aussies are not passionate supporters, just they show it in different ways. Watching football (soccer) as i do its not always a bad thing. The police have not yet shot me with plastic bullets at a rugby game for example. :D

Loudstrat

Coach
Athens, and yes they do a lot of singing, i guess i got used to it. How's the spanish inquisition treating you?
Athens = Brisbane? Stradbrokes now a Greek Island is it?

Now you seem like a semi-intelligent guy, which is why you should leave that cinema example behind now while you sitll can. A movie has a script and is pre-recorded so no amount of singing/shouting or whatever you do can have any influence on the outcome. The same can not be said about a footy match.
Singing influences the outcome? Really? Wow - tell Rusty he didnt need to sign Inglis, all he needed was to plonk Boys to Men in the stands.........

Plenty of singing in the rugby in the super league. Loads of opportunities. When you score, a big tackle, a good old fight, the other lot belt out a song, the ref is corrupt, there is some lovely lady walking past, there is a fatty in the away section, someone from your team does a nice bit of skill, someone on the other team drops a clanger.
All those things get a full throated roar out here, but if you notice some fat person sitting in Bay 6 then you are not concentrating on the bloody game!

"Wow, look at that slightly obese person over there in Bay 12. Gee, that red boob tube doesn't suit her does it. I better sing about that Oooh, wont you take me home tonight, ooohh, down beside that red fire light............BTW, whats the score again? 18-6? When did they score? Twice in the chorus of Knees Up Mother Brown?"

Its culture thing, Aussies seem like a quite bunch on the whole at grounds, and there does not seem to be the same tribal thing going on. Especially in Sydney. The lack of hatred doesn't help the atmosphere.
I could mention the 09 prelim final, and 75k on the edge of their seat as the Dogs pack led by Hannant tries to smash the Eels pack, then Cayless irons out Patton and he limps off to a cheer that put 3 planets out of orbit.

But instead I'll take umberage at the disturbing link between hate and singing. I would be severely disappointed in myself or my kids if I verbally picked on anyone at a game, let lone join a mob in doing so. Referees and players are fair game to a point, fans are not.

If that's your motivation - hate - then dont ever go to a game again.We have all seen how wonderful singing Pommy soccer fans have looked rampaging through Paris and giving Nazi salutes. None of that sh*t - singing, targetting fans, anger and violence - has anything to do with being a spectator at a footy game.

To me it sounds like an excuse to go and bag someone, with the gutless comfort of your mates and a mob mentality.

If you REALLY want to sing, be brave. Grab a mic and front a band in front of a crowd - on your own. That;'s courage. What you espouse certainly aint.

Sydney is the king of tribal RL - to not know that is to hve NFI.

Oh, and BTW, the pommy singing sounds great over the telly. And no better than a big NRL game.
Players who come over from Aus do comment on the crowds though, i think they would like more chanting and support.

All this doesn't mean Aussies are not passionate supporters, just they show it in different ways. Watching football (soccer) as i do its not always a bad thing. The police have not yet shot me with plastic bullets at a rugby game for example. :D

Ffs - being proud of being shot at by police at a soccer game. NAzi salutes still dont go down well with British authorities huh?

Latest posts