What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Singing at Games

sovereign

Juniors
The popularity of premier league in the UK means anyone actually at the game is a mental fan = singing.

Been to a few A league games (in 'the cove') with my crazy soccer fan mates and the singing is good value, although most of the chants are just stolen and slightly reworded from premier league.

Although I must say (surprised it hasn't been mentioned?) there is something special about dragons fans at Kogarah singing 'the saints go marching in' when the dragons get on a roll.

langpark

First Grade
This comments reminds of those advertisents of that show GLEE they keep showing of a bunch of people dancing and singing in a shopping centre. Everyone joining in and clapping and singing together.

If you want to clap and dance and sing at a football match like the cast of GLEE then do so, but if nobody else wants to join in then because they they'd rather watch the game, or alternatively think you're an idiot, or alternativly, think you're some random drunk singing some stupid song they've never heard before, then you should respect their decision not to follow your lead.
is it really that unbelievable that singing AND watching can be done at the same time??? :shock:

Your post sums it up the rife individual mentality of aussie fans right there. Let's all sit in silence or discussing what was on TV last night rather than giving some vocal support to lift your team (which heaven forbid may even mean some actual interaction with your fellow supporters).

Loudstrat

Coach
Although I must say (surprised it hasn't been mentioned?) there is something special about dragons fans at Kogarah singing 'the saints go marching in' when the dragons get on a roll.
Only because they are managing to string six words together without dribbling

is it really that unbelievable that singing AND watching can be done at the same time??? :shock:

Your post sums it up the rife individual mentality of aussie fans right there. Let's all sit in silence or discussing what was on TV last night rather than giving some vocal support to lift your team (which heaven forbid may even mean some actual interaction with your fellow supporters).

FFS you inbred spastic. Is singing the ONLY way to lift your team? Never heard a crowd cheer???

If I was on the field in the last 10 minutes of a tight game and needed a lift, and I hear the fans yelling encouragement, I'd lift. If instead I heard nice three part harmonies by some f*cking barbershop quartet, I'd give up.

No amount of singing can instill the combination of passion and pride in the true Australian tradition than a full throated "KILL ENNIS!!!!"

If singing lifted sporstmen like nothing else, how come pommy sportsmen are so f*cking sh*t? How come Morley was twice as good in a Roosters jumper as he ever was in a Lions one?

Nothing decent has ever been sung at a footy game either. Typical of the nancy boy attitudes of footy singers - Judas Priest wrote possibly the quintessential soccer fans song - United. You never hear anyone belting that out. Instead, we hear f*cking Gerry and the Pacemakers!!!! Go and watch Glee and toss off to that - because its just as sterile and pointless.

Stand on a hill and sing War Pigs and you might get people interested. Meanwhile, like the rest of the population, I'll settle for cheering.

Last edited:

langpark

First Grade
childish name calling always makes a point sound more valid, well done.

your post gives me the impression you've never really been outside of the goldfish bowl in which you live. You seem to thing "singing" means the sopranos of a choir.

Here's an example of how singing/chanting at a match, whatever you wanna call it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HbwdpPX7zE&feature=related

Last edited:
Completely irrelevant, but i already have.

No, I meant another country. One that sings at sporting events. If you were that passionate about it....

Nice one getting offended by what i said.

Who said I was offended?

But to me the idea of going to a match is to do what you can to get behind your team and get them across the line.

I don't think singing at matches has anything to do with what you just said there. If I hear singing at a Rugby League match I just assume that copious amounts of booze have had an effect.

However, most Aussie fans have a different mentality, and treat it like they're going to the cinema or something, and sit there and wait to be entertained.

You know, I never though of it that way. Next time I go to the cinema, instead of waiting for the movie to entertain me I might start up a chant or sing a song, rather than wait for the movie to entertain me.

"Johnny Depp he's our man, if he can't do it no one can."

Good start?

I never mentioned cussing the opposition either, that was just your own fabrication.

Actully, it was the idiot you replied to who said it, you needed to read the post he made before the one you commented on to find out his idea of singing/chanting....

langpark

First Grade
You know, I never though of it that way. Next time I go to the cinema, instead of waiting for the movie to entertain me I might start up a chant or sing a song, rather than wait for the movie to entertain me.

"Johnny Depp he's our man, if he can't do it no one can."

Good start?
:lol: sure, but just remember movies have scripts and pre-determined outcomes, footy matches don't.

No, I meant another country. One that sings at sporting events. If you were that passionate about it....
That is what i meant. I left Aus 3 years ago.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
We all know Rugby League games in the UK as famous for a great atmosphere and passionate song from bith home and away supporters, but why hasn't this been taken on by supporters at NRL games?

Can't Aussie's sing or are they too shy?

What's the reason?

have you been to a live game in the past 5 years at all?

bobmar28

Bench
We all know Rugby League games in the UK as famous for a great atmosphere and passionate song from bith home and away supporters, but why hasn't this been taken on by supporters at NRL games?

Can't Aussie's sing or are they too shy?

What's the reason?

It sounds lame.

juro

Bench
Okay everybody, 1 2 3...

There is nothing like a dame!
Nothing in the world!!

bobmar28

Bench
It's a different culture here. Not sure that it's better either. I've seen a few football games in the UK, including Arsenal v Tottenham in 2003 and the 2005 Arsenal v Man Utd FA Cup Final and I've gotta say the atmosphere has got it all over league. Admittedly they were big games and fierce rivals, but the atmosphere at those games has got it all over an Origin game at Lang Park. Let alone anywhere else. There are few times I've walked out of a stadium with a sense of both fear and elation, and each time they have been at football games.

Are you serious? Have you seen the flags and banners at an NRL game? I've watch some english soccer on TV and when a goal is scored they stand up and...CLAP!

DecoyRunner

Juniors
Seven pages of "Singing bad", "No, singing GOOD!".

Let's all start a huge rugby league choir a la Polyphonic Spree. We can tour the suburban grounds and sing songs about Todd Carney and Joel Monaghan while wearing jerseys from the '80s.

betcats

Referee
Im to busy screaming at our sh*house players or the sh*thouse ref or whinging about the sh*thouse beer line to sing.

Spanner in the works

First Grade
Are you serious? Have you seen the flags and banners at an NRL game? I've watch some english soccer on TV and when a goal is scored they stand up and...CLAP!

That's like saying you've been to Paris because you saw a picture of the Eiffel Tower in a book. Go to a game first before discussing with me which has the better atmosphere.

Forgot to add:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I_crD6Oqsw&feature=related

No flags and banners my arse. Rugby league gets maybe three to five bays filled with banners, flags and other paraphernalia. A football game gets almost an entire stadium. Imagine if the Saints could have an entire stadium singing "When the Saints go Marching In" with that kind of support before kick off? How about the Roosters with "Roosterman". Or any other club for that matter.

Last edited:

Knightmare

Coach
Only because they are managing to string six words together without dribbling

FFS you inbred spastic. Is singing the ONLY way to lift your team? Never heard a crowd cheer???

If I was on the field in the last 10 minutes of a tight game and needed a lift, and I hear the fans yelling encouragement, I'd lift. If instead I heard nice three part harmonies by some f*cking barbershop quartet, I'd give up.

No amount of singing can instill the combination of passion and pride in the true Australian tradition than a full throated "KILL ENNIS!!!!"

If singing lifted sporstmen like nothing else, how come pommy sportsmen are so f*cking sh*t? How come Morley was twice as good in a Roosters jumper as he ever was in a Lions one?

Nothing decent has ever been sung at a footy game either. Typical of the nancy boy attitudes of footy singers - Judas Priest wrote possibly the quintessential soccer fans song - United. You never hear anyone belting that out. Instead, we hear f*cking Gerry and the Pacemakers!!!! Go and watch Glee and toss off to that - because its just as sterile and pointless.

Stand on a hill and sing War Pigs and you might get people interested. Meanwhile, like the rest of the population, I'll settle for cheering.

Hmmm, not a ManUre fan by any chance are we? :lol:

babyg

Juniors
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb-yvPGUdL4&feature=player_embedded

I'm very impressed with these guys at Penrith. Panthers supporters are they paid by the club or are they some supporters who brought some trumpets to games?

Watching the Penrith/Melb game was great listening to them in the background.

That's awesome. These Penrith fans have nailed the formula for getting Aussies to sing.

1. use a catchy song that everyone knows eg. Beatles, T Jones or whatever.
2. have the occasional Yeh or Woh for everyone to get involved
3. have a band or instrument
4. change the words if you want.

I think it can be done but just like Aus Idol it's about song choice and an inspirational group that wants it enough

northwest9

Juniors
when i was living in england, a common chant at the soccer was "stand up...... for the champions"

arsenal fans sung it at the man u fans during the community sheild game in cardiff the year following their undefeated season. standing in the arsenal crowd hearing the roar was amazing.

hilariously, at a Queens park rangers game, when they were playing Brighton, (a city with a strong gay population) the QPR fans modified the chant slightly

Stand up..... If you cant sit down.

top atmosphere and the only way to be entertained when the game is by its very nature, boring as batshit

Latest posts