What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Singing at Games

Perth Red

Post Whore
I reckon it is lack of passion. Generally i find the vast majority of Australians a pretty unpassionate lot, laid back is good but every now and again it is good to fire up! Maybe if there was more positive outlets of passion we would see less n0bs getting a skinful and thinking they are Mike Tyson.

I'll be at Craven Park and JJB stadium in a few weeks then AAMI and looking forweard to singing myself horse. Its not been a good game unless you can't speak at work on a Monday!

Loudtart most people go to the game for the gameday atmosphere, if it is silent you might as well be sat at home. The better the atmosphere the better the experience. Best atmosphere I've been at (apart from Hull derbies) is down in perpignan. If you ever get chance to go to a les Catalans game get there, its amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D1xbK71tcU&feature=related

Last edited:

DINGb@T

Juniors
If you want people to sing at Australian sporting events you need to come up with a form of singing that matches the sport. Soccer is great for singing because there's a long time between goals so you can get a whole song or three in before the next one. Aussie sport doesn't generally work that way.

If you want League supporters to sing then you have to modify it to suit League or every song will break down every time there's a big hit, a change of possession, etc. How about songs for particular parts of the game? When you're a long way ahead you have a song, if the ref is killing your team with penalties you have a song, if you need your team to hold in goal line defense you have a chant or song, etc. But most importantly have some songs you can sing after tries. Everyone cheers, everyone goes crazy and then you sit around waiting for the goal kick and reset. THAT's when you bust out the songs, wether rubbing it in or giving it to the ref for favouring the other team etc. What about before the game or half time? Sing songs then when there's no play and you can rub it in if you're winning (tell the other team to give up now etc) or amp your team up for a better half. We wont need that crap muzak if everyone is singing at half time.

Oh, and those chants dont happen themselves. There's people who lead those chants. You got to educate people so they know what the chant is, when to join in, and then you need someone leading the thing.

Eels Dude

Coach
I wonder if singing should be encouraged at boxing matches. Here and around the world. I think it should. And then all of you whingers can complain that because nobody sings at boxing matches that the fans lack passion.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
If you want people to sing at Australian sporting events you need to come up with a form of singing that matches the sport. Soccer is great for singing because there's a long time between goals so you can get a whole song or three in before the next one. Aussie sport doesn't generally work that way.

If you want League supporters to sing then you have to modify it to suit League or every song will break down every time there's a big hit, a change of possession, etc. How about songs for particular parts of the game? When you're a long way ahead you have a song, if the ref is killing your team with penalties you have a song, if you need your team to hold in goal line defense you have a chant or song, etc. But most importantly have some songs you can sing after tries. Everyone cheers, everyone goes crazy and then you sit around waiting for the goal kick and reset. THAT's when you bust out the songs, wether rubbing it in or giving it to the ref for favouring the other team etc. What about before the game or half time? Sing songs then when there's no play and you can rub it in if you're winning (tell the other team to give up now etc) or amp your team up for a better half. We wont need that crap muzak if everyone is singing at half time.

Oh, and those chants dont happen themselves. There's people who lead those chants. You got to educate people so they know what the chant is, when to join in, and then you need someone leading the thing.

The bold is already an ancient and time honoured tradition= "The referees a w***ker......... I have heard the burrow singing it a few times, amoung other songs.

One of my proudest moments was starting a rendition of marching on together (leeds anthem) at the GF at old trafford. Me and my mate belted it out during a quiet spell, seconds later half the bloody stadium was rocking. Go me. :lol:

Eels Dude

Coach
is it really that unbelievable that singing AND watching can be done at the same time??? :shock:

Your post sums it up the rife individual mentality of aussie fans right there. Let's all sit in silence or discussing what was on TV last night rather than giving some vocal support to lift your team (which heaven forbid may even mean some actual interaction with your fellow supporters).

Sing sing away if you want... or cheer for your side. Do a little jig if you want. Wear a kilt.

Loudstrat

Coach
Hmmm, not a ManUre fan by any chance are we? :lol:
Nope. Eels supporter. Priest are from Birmingham anyway.

I reckon it is lack of passion. Generally i find the vast majority of Australians a pretty unpassionate lot, laid back is good but every now and again it is good to fire up! Maybe if there was more positive outlets of passion we would see less n0bs getting a skinful and thinking they are Mike Tyson.
There are more Mike Tyson wannabees in a Pommy Soccer crowd - whose looting and wanton violence usually make a Canterbury home game look like afternoon tea with the West Wyalong CWA.

How the f*ck is the absence of singing an indication of lack of passion? I'll bet the family farm that Laurie Nicholls is not remembered for his capabilities as a tenor!!!
I'll be at Craven Park and JJB stadium in a few weeks then AAMI and looking forweard to singing myself horse. Its not been a good game unless you can't speak at work on a Monday!
Of course, no one who doesnt sing has ever gone home hoarse from the footy............

No wonder Pommies like to sing at the soccer. None of them own a bloody shower.

Loudtart most people go to the game for the gameday atmosphere, if it is silent you might as well be sat at home. The better the atmosphere the better the experience. Best atmosphere I've been at (apart from Hull derbies) is down in perpignan. If you ever get chance to go to a les Catalans game get there, its amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D1xbK71tcU&feature=related
So its either sing or silence, huh?

I stood on the hill at the SCG in 81 when Kenny scored that last minute try. My ears were still ringing in 88. And in those last 15 minutes of that game, witnessing your club win it's first ever premiership (as others have done since) if your thoughts turn to singing - or anything other than the game - you are not fair dinkum.

Ask Raiders fans what song they were singing when Jackson scored in 89, or what Knights fans sang in the last 5 minutes of the 97 GF.

I dont hear much singing in Origin either. Tell me there's silence at Origin or a GF ffs!:crazy:

Loudstrat

Coach
Australia lacking culture could be true after all.
Our culture would improve if you f*cked off back to your singing club in the village green back in genius-on-Kent or wherever you are from.

have you been to a live game in the past 5 years at all?
I imagine that it's hard to hear anything with your head shoved up your arse.

The WC final when the Kangaroos marched toward the haka. Silent? No Atmosphere? You cannot be serious. Surely.

:lol: sure, but just remember movies have scripts and pre-determined outcomes, footy matches don't.

So, you know the script of every movie you see before you see it?

Both are forms of entertainment.

That is what i meant. I left Aus 3 years ago.

Brisbane has gone offshore?

God, I hope they sing at Football matches where you are now. I know how distressing it is for you if they don't...

The problem here is obviously that there are a few people who, for reasons that only a world class psychologist could possibly work out, seem to think that not singing at Football games equals a lack of passion.

That's as geniused as it gets.

Sing, warble, whistle, play the violin, do the Hustle or the Macarena if you like, I couldn't give a rat's arse... but questioning the passion of people who make the effort to go and support their team because they don't sing etc is simply stupid.

langpark

First Grade
So, you know the script of every movie you see before you see it?

Both are forms of entertainment.

Brisbane has gone offshore?

God, I hope they sing at Football matches where you are now. I know how distressing it is for you if they don't...
Athens, and yes they do a lot of singing, i guess i got used to it. How's the spanish inquisition treating you?

Now you seem like a semi-intelligent guy, which is why you should leave that cinema example behind now while you sitll can. A movie has a script and is pre-recorded so no amount of singing/shouting or whatever you do can have any influence on the outcome. The same can not be said about a footy match.

Athens, and yes they do a lot of singing, i guess i got used to it. How's the spanish inquisition treating you?

I'll let you know when it becomes an actual place I can visit.

Like Brisbane.

Now you seem like a semi-intelligent guy, which is why you should leave that cinema example behind now while you sitll can. A movie has a script and is pre-recorded so no amount of singing/shouting or whatever you do can have any influence on the outcome. The same can not be said about a footy match.

I don't know about you but I go to the cinema to be entertained, just as I go to the Football to be entertained.

For the record, I don't sing at either.

If there is a player out there who gets going on the back of the crowd singing, he probably loves Broadway musicals and know everything that Barba Streisand has put onto a CD off by heart.

Let's try another tack shall we seeing as you're distressed at the cinema analogy.

I've watched NFL for many years now and I can't recall hearing the crowd burst into the chorus of Don't stop Believing?

I guess the Yanks have it covered when it come to passionless Football.

langpark

First Grade
you're deliberately taking the word 'singing' out of context to imply that it's something girly.

Remember, when 20,000 people are 'singing', it sounds more like a roar. I have to tell you this seeing as you've clearly never had a matchday experience outside of the NRL and probably the odd state cricket match. My point is, believe it or not, this can lift the home team and/or be very intimidating for the visiting team.

you're deliberately taking the word 'singing' out of context to imply that it's something girly.

I wouldn't say "girly".

Effeminate maybe.

If you look back, the actual singing I was having a go at was posted by some turnip that thought singing things designed to offend opposition supporters in a certain way was acceptable.

It isn't.

If you want to sing, go ahead. But don't think for one second that not singing means that someone isn't passionate about the game or their team. And if you have the "balls" to sing offensive stuff to opposition supporters who've made the effort to travel to your home ground, why not try it at their home ground?

Remember, when 20,000 people are 'singing', it sounds more like a roar. I have to tell you this seeing as you've clearly never had a matchday experience outside of the NRL and probably the odd state cricket match. My point is, believe it or not, this can lift the home team and/or be very intimidating for the visiting team.

Actually, I've been to an AFL game, Union club and Tests matches and many, many Soccer games.

But nice try.

Last edited:

langpark

First Grade
All in Aus though right? Please, attend a match in Europe or South America some day so you can compare it to something more legit, rather than just other farcical codes in Aus.

bobmar28

Bench
That's like saying you've been to Paris because you saw a picture of the Eiffel Tower in a book. Go to a game first before discussing with me which has the better atmosphere.

Forgot to add:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I_crD6Oqsw&feature=related

No flags and banners my arse. Rugby league gets maybe three to five bays filled with banners, flags and other paraphernalia. A football game gets almost an entire stadium. Imagine if the Saints could have an entire stadium singing "When the Saints go Marching In" with that kind of support before kick off? How about the Roosters with "Roosterman". Or any other club for that matter.

Bullshit. I've watched dozens of English soccer games and I've never seen a flag or banner.

Give me flags, banners and cheering any day over clapping and singing.