What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sister clubs?

Bill

Juniors
I just looked at the AMNRL site in the links bit at the top of the page.

I didn't even know they play League in America and what I am most intrigued by is the sister club arrangement with NRL clubs.

Do the NRL clubs provide much in the way of assistance? or is it just a name thing?

roopy

Referee
Bill,
I don't think the NRL clubs do enough, but Canterbury did send three Jersey Flegg players over to play for the Glen Mills Bulls in the season just finished and Parra had a few guys over from the Media Mantarays for pre season training the year before.
I think the pre season training thing didn't work out the best because the Americans were way below the standard needed to take full advantage, but the Flegg guys seemed to have a great impact without totally dominating the comp, so I'd rate that as a big success.

I'd like to see all clubs do a lot more for their sister clubs in the future. I'd especially like to see Newcastle Knights lend a few players to the New York Knights - basically because I'm a Knights supporter and I can't find much about the NY Knights except the name to go for at the moment.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
It would be good if the NRL sides contibuted more to their sister clubs. Maybe having coaching clinics or exhibition games? Something that would tie they clubs closer. I guess it all comes down to money in he end.

I think the NRL clubs donate jerseys to the AmNRL clubs.

Ideas from watching what the USAFL do (note: these are initiatives from the USAFL and individual AFL clubs, the AFL itself has stuff all to do with it) -

Essendon invite a player from the USAFL to train with them each preseason, they've been doing it for four or five years now. Port Adelaide started doing it this year, but specifically with players from the New York Magpies (one of their US affiliates) rather than the whole league. The Swans do the same thing with players from the AFLPNG.

The best US college player from the USA gets a free semester tuition at Macquarie Uni (yes, in Sydney) and plays for them in the Sydney AFA.

They also have arrangements to help Americans find work and accomodation so they can play in suburban Melbourne comps to gain experience.

Any of these ideas should be seriously considered by NRL clubs. While sending NRL or Jersey Flegg players to the states is good for the quality of the AmNRL - bringing Americans out here to train would probably be more beneficial in the long run.

joshreading

Staff member
AFL has done a good job for themselves in the US and we NEED to learn from it. On there US site you can get info on starting a new team. How to gather support in your area etc.

There is nothing like that for Rugby League at all.

I think to a certain extent the AmNRL (and a lot of other leagues) need to walk before they try to run.

A pro comp is nice and looks good on paper - but I'm kind of of the opinion that if you want to really make a difference you have to put in the hard yards at grassroots level and leave the pro comp as a long term goal for when the game is self-sustaining.

I mean, what's the point of having a pro US league if you don't have a single juniors comp?

Focus on some serious in-house grassroots expansion rather than trying to play internationals or get the pros in.

Anonymous

Juniors
If foxsports is going to start a pro league in the usa support them. im sure they owe rl something for the superleague war,this will also mean we can harrass them to show usa games and internationals.How else are we going to get our next pro league without fox ,onion has japan,italy pro leagues.also greece and italy are part of the sky empire maybe they can help there too.

yankeeboy

Juniors
Though he almost killed it in 1997, I think Rupert Murdoch is the one man who can help make League big outside Australia, NZ, and Yorkshire. Giving money to the AMNRL wouldn't work, but if he started a Premier League quality pro comp in the States, and gave it coverage on Fox, it'd do wonders for league. What League needs to do is make an arrangement with some sort of kids' sports organization (like the YMCA or maybe school districts) to have touch rugby for kids. Then, you could progress them up to tackle.

League in America is in serious trouble if they can't get juniors. That needs to be the top priority of the AMNRL.

deluded pom?

Coach
yankeeboy said:
Though he almost killed it in 1997, I think Rupert Murdoch is the one man who can help make League big outside Australia, NZ, and Yorkshire.

The Lancashire based posters are going to love you :lol: :lol: :lol: