What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SJ Getting heaps.

WellsNZ

Juniors
When did fullback become such a physically demanding position? lol come off it. Clubs regularly give halves who are still to small a taste of grade via fullback. SJ could easily handle the physical demands of the position IMO.

Its no fantasy, the guy isn't a halfbacks asshole, his talents are far more suited to playing FB IMO. You don't want him leading you around you just want him running as much as possible.

When it requires you to do things like leap up into the air to diffuse kicks?

Those halves that come through also happily actually run the ball and are willing to get tackled as well.

There's a big difference between actually being able to handle the physical demands and having the mentality to be able to do it. The guy won't run the ball unless he knows he can get through the line untouched. He could physically handle being tackled no doubt, but he doesn't want to. There's a fearlessness to top fullbacks that he simply does not have. Who can picture SJ throwing himself in trying to clean up an awkward kick while someone is coming at him full tilt trying to smoke him? that's not his go.

I haven't said he's a halfback either, because he isn't, he's a 6 that wants the prestige of being a halfback.

It's a fantasy to think he'd put himself into these positions and thrive. Watching him ever since the Manly injury offers no indication that he'd go well in a spot that requires the courage of being a good fullback.

His kick returns would probably consist of dancing in multiple circles until he can dump the ball to a winger to actually take the tackle.

Last edited:

TheFrog

Coach
He won the Warriors a game against us two or three years ago at Auckland in golden point by just running and stepping, but really I haven't seen him do it since. Like Moylan and Dugan, he's hit and miss, the misses becoming more frequent as time goes on for all of them. These are big money players. Which is why the Sharks, while full of big names, are about to drop out of the 8.

Iafeta

Referee
When did fullback become such a physically demanding position? lol come off it. Clubs regularly give halves who are still to small a taste of grade via fullback. SJ could easily handle the physical demands of the position IMO.

Its no fantasy, the guy isn't a halfbacks asshole, his talents are far more suited to playing FB IMO. You don't want him leading you around you just want him running as much as possible.

Good Christ no. Where’s Gus. No no no no no no no.

Shaun was a decent running halfback. But he has lost what made him tick. Pace. Speed. Acceleration.

betcats

Referee
When it requires you to do things like leap up into the air to diffuse kicks?

Those halves that come through also happily actually run the ball and are willing to get tackled as well.

There's a big difference between actually being able to handle the physical demands and having the mentality to be able to do it. The guy won't run the ball unless he knows he can get through the line untouched. He could physically handle being tackled no doubt, but he doesn't want to. There's a fearlessness to top fullbacks that he simply does not have. Who can picture SJ throwing himself in trying to clean up an awkward kick while someone is coming at him full tilt trying to smoke him? that's not his go.

I haven't said he's a halfback either, because he isn't, he's a 6 that wants the prestige of being a halfback.

It's a fantasy to think he'd put himself into these positions and thrive. Watching him ever since the Manly injury offers no indication that he'd go well in a spot that requires the courage of being a good fullback.

His kick returns would probably consist of dancing in multiple circles until he can dump the ball to a winger to actually take the tackle.

Ok well I disagree, if he’s willing to stand in front of 100kg motherf**kers running full pelt each week then there is nothing mentally stopping him from catching and returning kicks, nothing at all. Put him there early in his career and I think he has a much better and more consistent career as a fullback than he has a halfback

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
he's an overrated downhill skier imo...

where is the cancer? Genuinely interested...
It calls itself Dugan, such a merkin put SoO right centre to left wing due to ego, coach helps.

The bloke is killing team, all about him.

I hate the merkin.

Might follow the titans if we keep the douche.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Now Shaun is complaining again about negative feedback on his game, on insta again. Hasn't quite gone the 'haters' line but having a go at negativity around his game.

That 'negativity' is from Cooper Cronk, one of the greatest of all-time. He said SJ is firing blanks and needs to step up.

Unfortunately Shaun has not, and will never become the player he could have been if he'd channeled all the energy from the Cronks, the Fittlers etc, rung them up and got some advice, taken it on board and vowed to get better. But he'd rather jump on insta and whinge about it, complain to the media etc, and clearly hasn't taken advice on. He's a classic fixed mindset guy for people who know Carol Dweck's work. Too much praise too early and doesn't respond well to anything but that. I guess his body isn't helping either but mentally he's got it all wrong throughout his career.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I agree with the sentiments around his game and always have, especially when Fittler chimed in a few years back with helpful advice that was dismissed

I found it strange though that Cronk went hard after that game, because Shaun was actually very good, albeit with 1 extremely poor error where he missed touch from a penalty. The first hour I was saying how good he was playing and he put 3 tries on

Matua

Bench
I agree with the sentiments around his game and always have, especially when Fittler chimed in a few years back with helpful advice that was dismissed

I found it strange though that Cronk went hard after that game, because Shaun was actually very good, albeit with 1 extremely poor error where he missed touch from a penalty. The first hour I was saying how good he was playing and he put 3 tries on
Yeah, my mate said Johnson was crap and then I watched the extended highlights on NRL TV and he looked good, as you say setting up those tries, so I was wondering how bad he must have been for the rest of the game.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

That's the issue. He's so happy to receive the plaudits but he bristles at the 'negativity' which in Fittler's case was flat out constructive feedback. I suspect he grew that from his touch and 20s days, plus that first year in the NRL when we made the GF. Had so much smoke blowing up his arse

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Dugs grew up, which is great.

I still have faith in Shaun.

Always will.

The only man I saw beat us kangaroos when his forwards won the battle.

AJB1102

First Grade
I think Shaun does a great job ignoring trolls and media traps but he does an equally bad job recognising good advice from people qualified to give it.

Forget COVID, Shaun's been in a bubble his whole career.