What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SJ.

Rich102

Staff member
Shaun Johnson has revealed his fairy tale return to the New Zealand Warriors almost never happened, after the star halfback came close to joining the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs in 2022.

Johnson has been instrumental in the Warriors’ resurgence since he returned to the club, having spent three seasons playing for the Cronulla Sharks after a messy exit in 2018.

The 33-year-old rejoined the Warriors in 2022 on a two-year contract, but told Fox Sports he also had an offer on the table from the Bulldogs and, were it not for a last-minute intervention from Warriors owner Mark Robinson, Johnson would have remained in Sydney rather than return to be Andrew Webster’s lynchpin.

“I came back to NZ to sign the contract with my manager, that was literally what was happening,” Johnson said.

“I then got a call from a mate who said that Mark Robinson wanted to have a chat.

“We then had a game of golf and I walked off that course thinking ‘What, really?’.

“I rung my manager and asked what was going on. The next day I had re-signed with the club [the Warriors].

“I rang the Bulldogs and said, ‘I’m so sorry’. Because it was close, it was really close.”

While the Warriors endured one of their all-time worst seasons in 2022, Johnson’s form was a catalyst for the team to become New Zealand’s sporting darlings last year.

Of Johnson’s 25 games played last season, the Warriors won 17 on the way to the NRL’s preliminary final, where they were beaten by the Brisbane Broncos.

Individually, Johnson scored eight tries, created 29 assists and led the NRL in kicking metres, to finish one vote shy of winning the coveted Dally M Medal, missing out to Kalyn Ponga of the Newcastle Knights.

Last year, Johnson signed a one-year contract extension to stay at the Warriors for 2024 and has said he is open to staying at Mt Smart in 2025 and beyond.

SJ I'm sure mentioned or at least hinted to this last year or 2022?

Unrelated topic - My like option has appeared out of nowhere for the forums. Unsure why? It has never worked any of my devices I use up until now.

Rich102

Staff member
SJ I'm sure mentioned or at least hinted to this last year or 2022?

Unrelated topic - My like option has appeared out of nowhere for the forums. Unsure why? It has never worked any of my devices I use up until now.
I tried to send you a PM to remind you to get your tips in. You don't have a PM box on your homepage. Is this a mistake or intended?

I tried to send you a PM to remind you to get your tips in. You don't have a PM box on your homepage. Is this a mistake or intended?
Sorry Rich I haven't touched any settings to prevent people from sending me PM. I will have a look though. I will jump back onboard with tippings for Round 3 onwards.

Matua

Bench
Sorry Rich I haven't touched any settings to prevent people from sending me PM. I will have a look though. I will jump back onboard with tippings for Round 3 onwards.
I think when you have an ad block on your like button and PMs get suspended - so this may have happened?

Rich102

Staff member
I think Matua is right. This is the answer I got when I referred it to Admin.

TooheysNew

Coach
It follows me on any device lol your saying stuff already mentioned. Disabled ad block is not the answer for my situation.
Sorry, but you're wrong. I know for a fact, because I built the software that does the account limiting.

The limiting is account wide, so it will affect all devices that you use for your account. You accessed the site with an ad-blocker 15 minutes ago, so any device that you use for your Wheeled Warrior account will be limited. The longer you use the ad blocker, the longer it takes your account to recover when you turn it off again.

Sorry, but you're wrong. I know for a fact, because I built the software that does the account limiting.

The limiting is account wide, so it will affect all devices that you use for your account. You accessed the site with an ad-blocker 15 minutes ago, so any device that you use for your Wheeled Warrior account will be limited. The longer you use the ad blocker, the longer it takes your account to recover when you turn it off again.
I didn't touch any settings on my devices then all of a sudden functionality came back on all my devices for a period. Then it's gone. I haven't touched anything. Literally for basic functionality such as likes this site gives more problems than it should. I will live without the Like its not then end of the world. And I will not disable ad block again. Atrocious experience without this for anyone.

TooheysNew

Coach
One of the browsers on your device has an ad blocker. It really is that simple. It could be your browser, it could be from an email, but the bottom line is that something was blocking ads.

But that's fine mate. You're welcome to live without the additional features. The basic functionality is removed intentionally. The problems you have when you run an ad blocker are 100% intentional.

One of the browsers on your device has an ad blocker. It really is that simple.
I have disabled them all before and issue remains.

What you haven't been able to address is that for an unknown reason the function came back briefly
Nothing was touched or changed in fact the device I had the functionality on had the ad block on.

If it was simple just disable the ads on all devices this issue should be resolved.

Crazy as this is the only site / forum I have this issue with.

TooheysNew

Coach
I have disabled them all before and issue remains.

What you haven't been able to address is that for an unknown reason the function came back briefly
Nothing was touched or changed in fact the device I had the functionality on had the ad block on.

If it was simple just disable the ads on all devices this issue should be resolved.

Crazy as this is the only site / forum I have this issue with.
Sorry mate, but i'm not your IT guy. I can't tell you why your device is saying it's using an adblocker.

I do know enough about end-users to know that "nothing was changed" very rarely means nothing was changed, though. The "issues" will be resolved when all of your devices are no longer sending "we're using an adblocker" messages, and remain that way for a while.

It's not really crazy at all. It's custom software built for this site that does this. Of course you won't experience it on any other sites.

Sorry mate, but i'm not your IT guy. I can't tell you why your device is saying it's using an adblocker.

I do know enough about end-users to know that "nothing was changed" very rarely means nothing was changed, though. The "issues" will be resolved when all of your devices are no longer sending "we're using an adblocker" messages, and remain that way for a while.

It's not really crazy at all. It's custom software built for this site that does this. Of course you won't experience it on any other sites.
All good. Thanks mate.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
so back to the topic of SJ… what do you reckon the chance is he’ll go around again next season? I’d imagine the ball is in his court and the club would resign him for another year if he wanted to keep going.