What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SJ.

I think the biggest worry with SJ now is injuries - I think he’ll last as long as his calves and hammies do
Which isn't long if we don't sub in someone to take the load off and let him heal. Same with Tohu and AFB. The workload they are getting is heading that direction. 27 Rounds is so long and that excludes finals.

How are the halves shaping up in the reserves? I would like to see Farr given a chance not sure on the others.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Which isn't long if we don't sub in someone to take the load off and let him heal. Same with Tohu and AFB. The workload they are getting is heading that direction. 27 Rounds is so long and that excludes finals.

How are the halves shaping up in the reserves? I would like to see Farr given a chance not sure on the others.
Unfortunately that’s being forced by the injuries to other players. If Metcalf was fit we could potentially spell SJ for a round or two, and if our pack wasn’t missing Niukore, Bunty, Capewell and Jazz we could rest Tohu and AFB or give them less minutes. But it’s all hands on deck at the moment. Our depth is being tested.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
SJ has played 1 good season for the Warriors since 2015. Total smoke and mirrors to suggest we need to be doing everything we can to retain him - the idea of moving on from him in 2018 was right in the first place, if we’d bothered to find a replacement.

Yes I’m pretty dark on everything right now.

Blair

Coach
SJ has played 1 good season for the Warriors since 2015. Total smoke and mirrors to suggest we need to be doing everything we can to retain him - the idea of moving on from him in 2018 was right in the first place, if we’d bothered to find a replacement.

I wanted him gone in 2018 (I was at the final against Penrith) and didn't want him back in 2022. It was great to be proven wrong about him coming back.

Moving forward, he's got 10 days off to rest and that's good news.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

I don't think it's massively relevant what happened for us since 2015. He was POTY at Cronulla in 2020, and obviously was red hot last year.

But yeah, I don't think it's a fait de complis that we re-sign SJ for 2025. I don't think it can be with a 33-year-old body that is showing signs of slowing down and being hurt more.

The thing is, we need to replace him. If he goes down injured now, we're toast. Absolutely burnt, mouldy, toast. And that's not saying he's a superstar right now, but it'd be TMM + who? It'd be dire, I don't think I could watch.

So who plays 7 next year if he's injured/gone? Metcalf is injury-prone, TMM looks NSW Cup standard at best, CHT hasn't proven much more...we need a signing.

I don't think it's massively relevant what happened for us since 2015. He was POTY at Cronulla in 2020, and obviously was red hot last year.

But yeah, I don't think it's a fait de complis that we re-sign SJ for 2025. I don't think it can be with a 33-year-old body that is showing signs of slowing down and being hurt more.

The thing is, we need to replace him. If he goes down injured now, we're toast. Absolutely burnt, mouldy, toast. And that's not saying he's a superstar right now, but it'd be TMM + who? It'd be dire, I don't think I could watch.

So who plays 7 next year if he's injured/gone? Metcalf is injury-prone, TMM looks NSW Cup standard at best, CHT hasn't proven much more...we need a signing.
I feel the Warriors need to make a play for Ronald Volkman. It was unfortunate what happened to him but now Dragons has rejected him we could take a look in getting him back. He has been training in our system so it's not the worst idea until we get someone cemented. SJ needs to heal proper or retire simple.

I feel the Warriors need to make a play for Ronald Volkman. It was unfortunate what happened to him but now Dragons has rejected him we could take a look in getting him back. He has been training in our system so it's not the worst idea until we get someone cemented. SJ needs to heal proper or retire simple.
For 2025 to be clear. As for 2024 we are holding on by a thread.