What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skando is back...

Once again missed the poinbt by about 3 years.

There's a distinction between fringe first-graders who have been biding their time in reserves for a few years and a guy who has retired twice and returned recently as a favour to the coach without planning to play first grade.

Sheens has overlooked the cohort of established reserve graders for a blow-in. Is that too hard to understand?

super_coach

First Grade
Not that it ever worried him in the past but i think he feels he can do anything now with the team sitting in third position. Of course if the ball bounced the other way over the past month he would be fighting for his coaching career with the team just on the edge of the eight.

Skando will do an okay job but what about Moors. For the first time in years I started to get excited about having a bench with impact real clout but look at it now its all about taking the ultra conservative approach. Heaven help if we ever get 10 points down in a game with ten to go and are looking at the bench for a big play.

gronkathon

First Grade
Skandalis shouldn't play in front of anybody at our club, even Cayless.

Another excuse for some people with their black & white nostalgia glasses on to have a wank over Skando.

Everyone raves about his performances last season. He did his job but if we were fair dinkum a guy like Al Schirnack would have been in the side instead. He was on fire and had NRL experience.

Maybe than we would have developed a player for the future instead of living in the f**king past. 12 months later and exactly the same stupid decision is made but this time with a guy who we bought in from another club (Moors)

It shouldn't suprise though given that some of our fans enjoy living in the past so much they get their knickers in a twist when someone boos Scott Prince.

Last edited:

westie

Bench
Due to age and what not, Skando isn't the best option... but he does bring an incredible amount of leadership to the field.

super_coach

First Grade
Due to age and what not, Skando isn't the best option... but he does bring an incredible amount of leadership to the field.

The way we are playing at present we need more than leadership. Okay once again I know we are coming third, but in the last month I have not seen anything that has me jumping up and down with expectations of better things to come. We have to start scoring points again

Tiger Hawk

Bench
It seems to me that Sheens uses his bench like how you'd expect a coach from 30 years ago to.....name 4 reserves that you can use in the case of injury but otherwise they're not part of the game-plan.....instead of naming 4 players that can come on at different stages for different impact....

nqcowboy87

Bench
If Skandalis plays on Monday night you can almost guarantee that barring injury we have seen the last of Fifita & Moors in the top grade for 2010

probably the last youd see them in tigers colours, why would you bother when the coach is picking the clubs admin staff ahead of you for the side

Vic Mackey

Referee
I know his been injured this year and I havnt seen much BRET however last year al shirnack really impressed off the bench

I don't care how good skando is going, to play him ahead of shirnack and moors is ridiculous

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well Skando has played 291 first grade games. Maybe Sheens is trying to get him to 300.

Western Suburbs 1996-99 - 64 games, 3 tries
Wests Tigers 2000-06, 09 - 181 games, 16 tries
Huddersfield 2007-08 - 42 games, 4 tries
Club level 1996-2009 - 287 games, 23 tries

City 2002, 2004-06 - 4 games, 1 try

TOTAL 1996-2009 - 291 Games, 24 tries

1 more try for Skando and he'll have 100 career points.

What is wrong with our club? Gower should be in the NRL side and his form for a long time suggests that.

We pick a 34 year old guy over Gower and Moors? I like Skando he was great for our club but even he could have said to Sheens that others deserve the spot more than him.

Gower will join the likes of Lima, Tandy, Saffy and Cashmere as good NRL players after they left our club. How no of the above menionted players got a real go at our club is beyond me.

Again it is another reason Sheens must go at the end of this season.

Flapper

First Grade
May or may not be a little more to this than meets the eye....the Cowboys at Leichardt might be as easy as it gets for the rest of the year and this may be the right time to get him warmed up with the side just in case.. he may not get called up again for the remaining rounds but come finals time having a little extra experience to call on (in real pressure games) mighten't be such a bad thing...i wouldn't have a clue if this is what he's thinking, it's just a thought.
Also..brings to mind how Warren Ryan used Kerry Hemsley (experienced but in and out of reserve grade) and Steve Edmed through the '88 finals

If this is the reason, as in putting a game or two back in the NRL to have him as a fallback option in the lead in to the finals then fine, I can understand the strategic nature of choosing this game as opposed to others. But if this is some sort of permanent fixture for the rest of the season then no its unworkable. If Skando does play on Monday, common sense should dictate that he drops back to the NSW Cup the week after. Maybe one more run in the Cronulla game to further nail the "just in case" point.

Highlander

Juniors
Guys were sitting in third spot with a hard run home with Skando you have an experienced Prop who has been there and done that. or you go with youngsters cutting it in the lower grades? Its a big step up

Id prefer Moors myself i think he has gone well when in the top grade. But i can also see why giving Skando a run aswell.

And as far as the Black and white comments please Sheens has always look after Balmain dont forget a few years back when the best went to BRET!!!!

super_coach

First Grade
My guess is Sheens is feeling the pressure despite our third position on the table and when under pressure what do you do?? revert to the known and keep away from the unknown. Sheens know he will get two ten minute spurts out of Skando, nothing flash but no mistakes. If he went for Gower god forbid, he might make a mistake than again he might have a blinder, the unknown comes into play.

I just think he has lost the plot on this one along with the no7( when lui is not available} and if we were playing St george, Souths, penrith or a full strength Bronks we would get smashed

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well considering Skando is named as starting prop for the Maggies in NSW Cup, I'd be very surprised if he is playing NRL this Round.