What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sky (again)

While on TV, I presume this 'Sterlo with the coach' segment is on Channel Nine's Footy Show this Thursday night (Sydney)?

It'll be good viewing.

Pretty sure its referring to "Sterlo" which is on fox sports on Thursday nights. From the Matty Johns show it looked very interesting as go a taste of Fishi run away.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/peter-sterling-insists-his-new-fox-sports-program-is-not-competing-with-the-footy-show/story-fn2mcuj6-1226565599654#.UcArpox_XMI

The Matty John show was very positive on the Warriors, Fishi run away was moment of the week, they loved Johnsons tackle on Jennings. Normally Matty takes every shot he can at NZ in general, so was good to see positive spin.

Izz

Bench
The Matty John show was very positive on the Warriors, Fishi run away was moment of the week, they loved Johnsons tackle on Jennings. Normally Matty takes every shot he can at NZ in general, so was good to see positive spin.
With the Ferguson thing headlining, he and MG were too busy blathering on about how they'd done horrible things in the past and been given second chances and how grateful they were and blah blah blah. He wasn't gonna say anything bad about anything, and especially not about NZ in that context...

jaseg

Juniors
OT Just seen this .

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/8810945/Sky-loses-rights-to-English-Premier-League

Might not mean a lot to some.

I have Sky for NRL, Cricket and EPL.
Can this "independent equity" on-sell this to sky?

If not I may have to reconsider my subscription and stick to freeview

Wow, that's massive news. Sky will probably be pretty desperate to get at least some of the rights to games (assuming that's allowed under the deal - and this is the Premier League they're dealing with, so that is maybe not a very safe assumption) from the other company, so that may happen - but by the sounds of it I'd guess some sort of IPTV (or related) service will be looking to use this to quickly gain a solid revenue base.

That's a HUGE loss in value for Sky. They're in pretty serious trouble if they don't pick up something from the EPL - live sports rights are pretty much the only thing of real value to commercial networks anymore, and EPL is THE blue chip deal.

Juju

Juniors
Wow, that's massive news. Sky will probably be pretty desperate to get at least some of the rights to games (assuming that's allowed under the deal - and this is the Premier League they're dealing with, so that is maybe not a very safe assumption) from the other company, so that may happen - but by the sounds of it I'd guess some sort of IPTV (or related) service will be looking to use this to quickly gain a solid revenue base.

That's a HUGE loss in value for Sky. They're in pretty serious trouble if they don't pick up something from the EPL - live sports rights are pretty much the only thing of real value to commercial networks anymore, and EPL is THE blue chip deal.
I reckon they will put the EPL money towards covering more NBA.

If we ever get NRL league pass I am gornnnnnnnnnne from Sky.
I find their blatant profitering and anti competitive actions crass.
They use any excuse to up subscription charges - sick of it...

spear tackle

Juniors
I find their blatant profitering and anti competitive actions crass.
They use any excuse to up subscription charges - sick of it...

well they better not try and add a buck or two for that Jones channel , thats a load of crap thats been repeated so many times its not funny

JoeD

First Grade
Don't watch EPL - have sky for cricket and league but very interesting all the same. I wonder what the strategy is for EPL - solely highest bidder or do they take into account viewing numbers as well. We are such a minutely tiny market they are willing to maybe take a chance on giving rights to to a new player (even for less money), create competition and push up prices.

vvvrulz

Coach
Don't watch EPL - have sky for cricket and league but very interesting all the same. .

I'm in exactly the same boat. If it wasn't for these two sports I would have cancelled Sky long ago, ridiculously overpriced and bloated. Losing the EPL should mean lower subscription fees, but of course it won't.

Will be interesting to see if the new owner uses Sky to televise the EPL on a dedicated channel with exclusive charge rates, similar to the Rugby channel but more expensive.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

If it's some sort of IPTV deal then it could be a massive win for NZ in the long term if it starts to break Sky's monopoly on the sports broadcast market. With the new broadband services being rolled out everyone should have as much access to boadband as Sky (at least sufficient speed for SD IPTV brroadcasts)

WellsNZ

Juniors
The funny thing is everyone cries to break up the Sky monopoly, but now look what is going to happen? if you want to watch the live EPL AND you want League/Rugby etc then you're going to have to pay for Sky and for EPL.

Don't think in New Zealand this is anywhere near the blow to Sky that some want to make it out to be, fact is as long as Sky controls the Rugby then they'll be just fine.

ozbash

Referee
It launches on August 1, costs $150 a season and you can stream any English Premier League game live through your TV, computer or mobile device.
And for the first time in years, New Zealanders will also be able to watch the EPL on free-to-air television.
The brass tacks from yesterday's unveiling of a new EPL broadcasting format, called premierleaguepass.com, came with a simple ethos for Kiwi consumers: More content, less money.
Instead of designated games prescribed by television schedulers, New Zealanders are weeks away from being able to select any of next season's 380 Premier League games, live - though less, 250, will have on-demand options.
Tim Martin, chief executive of rights-holding company Coliseum Sports Media, said the news offers New Zealanders unprecedented freedom to unrivalled content.
"Nowhere in the world is the entire Premier League free to viewers," Martin said.
The financial savings for Kiwi football fans could also be considerable, with CSM taking the rights away from Sky for at least the next three seasons.
For example, with a basic season's pass of $149.90, the package weighs in at $246.85 cheaper than the standalone sport offering of Sky over 12 months.
For anyone who previously subscribed to Sky exclusively for the EPL, they're about to make an even bigger saving - with the option of disconnecting from Sky entirely (no longer needing to also buy Sky's pre-requisite "basic" package to add sport), saving a total of $809.89 over a year.
CSM's new digitally driven format of programming also extends over live matches, with analysis, preview and review shows in addition to magazine shows - though the more detailed content triggers increased costs, with the premium package weighing in at $239.90 a season. Twenty-four hour passes will also be available for $24.90.
While the televised delivery of live sport is nothing new, CSM's arrival does break the mould in the mobile realm, with phones and tablets able to provide access on the move.
As well as smart televisions independently being able to access content, users will also be able to run content on their television, via connection of computers or mobile devices.
Martin was quick to talk up the company's technology as "mint", with the internal system driven by the same technology which screens more than 40,000 live and on-demand games for the NBA, NFL, NHL and UFC.
As far as free-to-air content is concerned, Television New Zealand will screen one game a week, which will be delayed, not live, aimed at the lunchtime slot, airing between noon and 2pm.
TV One will also screen a 60-minute highlights show on Monday evenings.
Until August 1, premierleaguepass.com - the project's main web portal - will be a holding page, though fans are able to register interest for the service.
Sky spokeswoman Kirsty Way reiterated that her organisation's loss of the EPL rights is a blow to the company, but said the timing of the live games is "not very favourable".
"Local sport and football rates higher than EPL matches. They are the facts," Way said.
"It's not very favourable for New Zealand being in the middle of the night.
"We don't want to downplay it. There are a lot of EPL fans in New Zealand."
Sky's football service will now be spearheaded through the Wellington Phoenix in the A-League and also holding the rights to All Whites matches until November - including crucial playoff games to qualify for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/8816249/New-EPL-service-offers-big-savings-for-fans

jaseg

Juniors
Sky spokeswoman Kirsty Way reiterated that her organisation's loss of the EPL rights is a blow to the company, but said the timing of the live games is "not very favourable".
"Local sport and football rates higher than EPL matches. They are the facts," Way said.
"It's not very favourable for New Zealand being in the middle of the night.
"We don't want to downplay it. There are a lot of EPL fans in New Zealand."

That's investor-directed spin of the highest order - live games aren't going to have amazing ratings in NZ, but immediate access to recorded games (via MySky or equivalent, plus replays shown at better times) = money. Yes, Rugby is the cornerstone - but they lose huge value on the EPL stuff, and if they don't drop their prices after losing EPL I imagine they'll lose customers (more than they were already going to - and any way that plays out it's a revenue and market share loss for Sky).

Beyond that, it's creating an example for other sports (as alluded to by SpaceMonkey). What happens when Rugby decides they'd be better off taking a bigger share of the TV profits by offering direct subscription? These are bad times to be in commercial TV, unless you're willing to take a fairly serious short term loss and invest heavily in future proofing by completely revolutionizing your business model; something very few TV businesses in the world are doing (there are a few exceptions - HBO notable among them).

Auckland4ever

Juniors
How'd the segment go? I missed it unfortunately.

Is there a link? Would love to see it.

It was a bit underwhelming, TBH. Just some highlights of the game and Elliot in the coaching box talking to Wiki, mentioning "shoulders" in pretty much every sentence. That and yelling "posts!" over and over when the Fish was streaking away. So, if you can't find a link, just remember the highlights from last weeks game and imagine Elliot yelling the words "shoulders" and "posts" over the top.

Blair

Coach
It was a bit underwhelming, TBH. Just some highlights of the game and Elliot in the coaching box talking to Wiki, mentioning "shoulders" in pretty much every sentence. That and yelling "posts!" over and over when the Fish was streaking away. So, if you can't find a link, just remember the highlights from last weeks game and imagine Elliot yelling the words "shoulders" and "posts" over the top.

I won't bother then, unless I stumble across it.

Here was I thinking it was groundbreaking Sterlo-on-the-wall television.

Hype got me again.

JoeD

First Grade
Haven't seen a home game live in a while and therefore haven't seen the pregame crap. Jeez those graphics are bad. Why have them at all if they are going to be that bad

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Just been unfortunate enough to catch 5mins of 40/20

McIvor and Voss are embarrassing themselves !! Thought the show might have improved by now

WellsNZ

Juniors
I'm still feeling thankful that we no longer have to deal with McMuppet on commentary.

Never waste my time on 40/20.