What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SL facing name change

Gobsmacked

Bench
Super League is set to undergo a name change as part of IMG's plans for the sport. Rugby League Live understands the Rugby Football League's strategic partner is plotting a rebrand of the competition after more than a quarter of a century.

Wow that's interesting!
Maybe we should all have a crack at names? I'll go first 🤪
European Rugby league 🤷‍♂️

Nuke

Staff member
If it's not European / English Topball (as in the 'top' ball sport), then what's the point..?!
:p

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s shame theres not more cooperation with long term thinking and a brand change for nrl and SL done together to unify them more for the future. maybe WRL (World rugby league) then a ERL comp and an ARL comp, with end of year playoffs featuring top 2 from each comp for the WRL cup.

Gobsmacked

Bench
It’s shame theres not more cooperation with long term thinking and a brand change for nrl and SL done together to unify them more for the future. maybe WRL (World rugby league) then a ERL comp and an ARL comp, with end of year playoffs featuring top 2 from each comp for the WRL cup.
And then there could be a dance off for the bottom sides and everyone gets a balloon, you can pick what colour balloon too🎈🎉🦄

Wow that's interesting!
Maybe we should all have a crack at names? I'll go first 🤪
European Rugby league 🤷‍♂️
I'm not sure if you are taking the piss or not but I like that.
ERL.
Everyone here, and mostly the players, call it NRL, not Rugby League. The same would occur in Great Britain, France etc.

Gobsmacked

Bench
I'm not sure if you are taking the piss or not but I like that.
ERL.
Everyone here, and mostly the players, call it NRL, not Rugby League. The same would occur in Great Britain, France etc.
Well I think it works, all encompassing and not cringy or embarrassing.
I'm sure they'll find something stupid to call it though.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Rebrand seems to have been parked for now whilst the grading system is main focus

IMG have issued the latest step in their attempt to ‘re-imagine’ the sport of rugby league, giving all 36 professional clubs their provisional grades.

The five main categories included finance, performance, fandom, stadium and catchment with a weighting given to each group.

One of the ideas which has been broached in recent months is the rebrand of Super League to match the new direction with a potential new name being touted – though not for the 2024 season. But, which three potential names could IMG and the RFL come up with further down the line?

Rugby Football League (RFL)

Simply, the Rugby Football League. Almost all big sporting brands have three-letter names that they go by: NRL, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB and so on. Calling our sport simply the RFL would bring it into line with other major sporting organisations whilst keeping the essence of ‘Rugby League’ in the title. Of course, the current governing body is named the Rugby Football League so there would have to be some tinkering with that, but it wouldn’t be something that would cause too many problems. RFL also sounds a lot snappier than Super League.

European Rugby League (ERL)

Again, like RFL, the European Rugby League (ERL) would bring along another abbreviated example that could join the plethora of such organisations around the world. It would also say what is on the tin – it is European Rugby League with the inclusion of Catalans Dragons in the top flight. To include the word ‘Super’ with ‘European’ would be ridiculous considering the prevalence of football’s European Super League in the public eye at present and would ensure that rugby league would take an even further backwards step against the UK’s most popular sport. European Rugby League has no frills but may be exactly what the sport needs.

Ultimate Rugby League (URL)

Leigh Leopards owner Derek Beaumont came up with the idea of ‘Ultimate Rugby’ on social media, but that could soon be confused with rugby union, so why not Ultimate Rugby League? The game needs a snappy new headline and something that doesn’t get involved with other sports. Type in ‘Super League’ in Google and, at times, netball and football’s European Super League idea arrive first instead of rugby league’s Super League. The only trouble with Ultimate Rugby League is, its abbreviated form would be URL which could potentially hamper Google traffic.

Nuke

Staff member
I like RLP: Rugby League Premiership
or the other way round: PRL : Premiership Rugby League

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Global rebrand to Rugba Lig as a tip of the cap to the great man.

In all seriousness though, I've always liked what the French call the game, Rugby 13's. It is perfect for us because it allows us to also own the name Rugby and the 13s explains quite simply that we are a different sport to R 15s

ER13 (European Rugby 13s)
R13WC (Rugby 13s World Cup)
IR13 (Governing Body)

Perth Red

Post Whore
I like RLP: Rugby League Premiership
or the other way round: PRL : Premiership Rugby League
Given the behemoth of the EPL Id avoid any reference to premiership.

ERLC would be fine: European Rugby League Championship

Inkers75

Juniors
I’d like to think that the company paid by IMG for the rebrand won’t incorporate the word ‘Premiership’ as this is what is referred to as Rugby Union which would cause no end of confusion!

The juggernaut of the English Premier League won’t be an issue in terms of identity. What you need to know is that the EPL is absolute ‘king’ in the UK. It’s first item on sports bulletins, tv and radio, newspapers and the internet. (Even in the off season it’s still the most talked about sport)

I hope IMG take their time in choosing a rebrand name. I agree Super League gives it no context to a particular sport outside it’s heartland but theres no rush in the short-term.