What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sleeping problems.

joshie

Live Update Team
Somebody farkin help me please :crazy:

I cannot sleep unless I am tired from staying up the night before. Yesterday I woke up at 1pm, after falling asleep at 4am, the day before, got to sleep at 10am and woke up at 3pm.

It is driving me nuts and I have no been to sleep since 1pm yesterday and I feel like shit, yet I cannot fall asleep.

I have epilepsy and I am not sure if that plays apart. SOMEBODY HELP!

Cliffhanger

Coach
There a numerous factors which could be doing it. Apart from advising you to go see a doctor a few other tips.

Check your diet, it seems strange but under eating can make it harder for you to fall asleep. Have you recently changed your diet or upped your training?

In the final half an hour before bed you're not watching tv, playing video games or talking on the phone, all these activities will over stimulate you and make it harder for you to fall asleep.

Don't go to bed with your phone

Don't eat proteins or fats close to bed time, proteins and fats are generally processed slowly and will keep you up

Be careful about seeing a doctor, a lot of doctors will just palm you off and give you some zolpidem rather than focus on the underlying cause.

I have recently struggled to fall asleep, just due to where I am and the environment that I am in at the moment and I have had some success with the supplement 5HTP which is metabolised even further by your body into melatonin, a chemical that promotes sleep. I have also made sure that about half an hour or so before sleep I darken my room, doing this stimulates a chemical process in your brain to make you fall asleep. (the end result of the chemical process is the chemical melatonin)

The one thing that will keep me awake is when my mind is active, if you start to think about stuff, it could be anything, you will not fall asleep. Sometimes I can lay in bed for hours just thinking about random stuff from sex to money to work to sport. You need to try and clear your mind before going to bed.

butchmcdick

Immortal
Be careful about seeing a doctor, a lot of doctors will just palm you off and give you some zolpidem rather than focus on the underlying cause.

I have recently struggled to fall asleep, just due to where I am and the environment that I am in at the moment and I have had some success with the supplement 5HTP which is metabolised even further by your body into melatonin, a chemical that promotes sleep. I have also made sure that about half an hour or so before sleep I darken my room, doing this stimulates a chemical process in your brain to make you fall asleep. (the end result of the chemical process is the chemical melatonin)

The one thing that will keep me awake is when my mind is active, if you start to think about stuff, it could be anything, you will not fall asleep. Sometimes I can lay in bed for hours just thinking about random stuff from sex to money to work to sport. You need to try and clear your mind before going to bed.

Wanking for the win

Danish

Referee
You may have delayed sleep phase syndrome.

It's essentially when the body's internal body clock is off, causing you to want to sleep at odd hours. A normal person has circadian rhythms telling them to sleep between around 10pm and 6-7am. Someone with DSPS might have theirs set between 3-4am and 1-2pm.

You can get treatment for it, normally involving a few weeks therapy in which you try and stay up an hour later and later each night for a couple weeks until you are naturally getting tired at a normal time.

Best bet would be to find a sleep clinic in your city and booking an appointment. Don't see a GP, they'll just throw some sleeping tablets at you.

joshie

Live Update Team

I am quite keen to try and stay away from any drugs what so ever so I don't want that to be a solution. My mind is really active and yeah i think about the most stupid shit (even thinking of ways to become NRL ceo) but even when my mind is completely dead, I cannot sleep.

joshie

Live Update Team
There a numerous factors which could be doing it. Apart from advising you to go see a doctor a few other tips.

Check your diet, it seems strange but under eating can make it harder for you to fall asleep. Have you recently changed your diet or upped your training?

In the final half an hour before bed you're not watching tv, playing video games or talking on the phone, all these activities will over stimulate you and make it harder for you to fall asleep.

Don't go to bed with your phone

Don't eat proteins or fats close to bed time, proteins and fats are generally processed slowly and will keep you up

I try to avoid eating and training before bed times now, I just drink heaps of water before bed.

joshie

Live Update Team
You may have delayed sleep phase syndrome.

It's essentially when the body's internal body clock is off, causing you to want to sleep at odd hours. A normal person has circadian rhythms telling them to sleep between around 10pm and 6-7am. Someone with DSPS might have theirs set between 3-4am and 1-2pm.

You can get treatment for it, normally involving a few weeks therapy in which you try and stay up an hour later and later each night for a couple weeks until you are naturally getting tired at a normal time.

Best bet would be to find a sleep clinic in your city and booking an appointment. Don't see a GP, they'll just throw some sleeping tablets at you.

This actually makes sense. I might look into a sleep clinic, didn't even know they existed, thank you.

Cletus

First Grade
Do you smoke/drink booze or coffee Josh? Shift work? Valerian Is supposed to help.

joshie

Live Update Team
Never touched a cigarette in my life - filthy habit.
I am a binge drinker, only drink the juice when I go out, and the last time I went out was New Years, Hate coffee and At the moment I am on holidays from Uni. Just waiting for it to start again.

Latest posts