What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sleeping problems.

Red Bear

Referee
f**k working in a servo ruined sleeping for me for such a long time. just having one-two night shifts a week and I was ruined long after I quit working there

sputneek

Juniors
:lol::lol::lol:

Believe it or not, masturbation does not help me, sex does though....sometimes.

If it means anything it's been proven that sleep endorphins (prolactin) are released when you orgasm with someone else, so just go on webcam with some random girl (or dude) or phonesex and rub one out. Masturbation alone wouldn't have the same effect.

(Prolactin also explains why men are sleepier after intercourse than after masturbation. For unknown reasons, intercourse orgasms release four times more prolactin than masturbatory orgasms, according to a recent study.)

Last edited:

joshie

Live Update Team
joshie, have you ever had sleep paralysis?

Yes I have actually. I can recall it happening a few times and I absolutely hate it. It always ends the same, my body spazs out tremendously and it feels more like I am thrown back into my body. as weird as that sounds. It also feels like I can see and hear everything but can't move anything but my eyes.

I had no idea what you were talking about so i had to google it haha.

Is this bad?

adamkungl

Immortal
I've had that or something similar before. It feels like i'm conscious, except can't really make my body move or do anything

Cliffhanger

Coach
I get sleep paralysis when I wake up and as I fall asleep. So much worse when you're trying to fall asleep, feels like demons are trying to strangle you.

Karl

Juniors
I had to look up sleep paralysis as well - and I have had that sometimes when falling alseep. Freaks me out. Good to know what it is and that others experience it as well.

feels like demons are trying to strangle you
- pretty good description.

Slackboy72

Coach
As to delayed sleep phase I have that and it just comes and goes.
You have to work at it everyday and make dealing with it part of your routine.

Step 1 is to discipline yourself into moving your phase back in line. No internet till 2 in the morning, no midnight drive through at Maccas and importantly no sleeping when you shouldn't be. I had shutdown periods after work where around 6pm I would collapse when I got home and wake up around 10. Then I would feel wide awake till about 9am (when I got to work) and struggle through the day just wanting to sleep.
The fix came from working hard to not collapse at 6pm and pushing back the collapse later and later and longer and longer and eventually getting 6 hours from 2am till 8am.

Also fix your sleep hygiene. Don't take books to bed. Get the right pillows. Remove anything that may distract you like an alarm clock with glowing digits. For summer make sure your room is cool.

Diet wise force breakfast on yourself. It kickstarts your metabolism. Dinner should be light. Keep the snacks to just that, little titbits like a handful of almonds or a piece of fruit. No Nachos at 1 in the morning because you're hungry.

Finally exercise. There is no easy alternative to this, you have to get up off your bum and do it.

Nowadays I fall asleep around 9pm and sleep till 5am. When I wake up I'm starving for breakfast. It's such a massive change. But ... it can all go pear-shaped if you don't maintain your discipline.

Anyway good luck with all that and don't go starting any underground bare knuckle boxing groups.

Karl

Juniors
I read somewhere that waking around 2am is something we are programmed for anyway. Sort of a "check everything is OK and go back to sleep" pattern, that a two stage sleep and not a solid 8 to 10 hours is perfectly normal, but that when people wake up at 2am they get anxious about it because they feel like they shouldn't be awake and that makes it hard for them to go back to sleep and then they think they have insomnia and it spirals from there.

Some commentary I saw elsewhere said to keep lights off or low, go and grab a drink of water, don't watch TV or log onto a computer, maybe check on the kids/dog/windows, hop back into bed and relax. Go back to sleep.

And make sure you have enough melatonin. Your hormone levels like cortisol can make you wake in the early hours as well. There are a few things you can check out.

Found it, the original artcle was wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segmented_sleep :
Segmented sleep, also known as divided sleep, bimodal sleep pattern, or interrupted sleep, is a polyphasic or biphasic sleep pattern where two or more periods of sleep are punctuated by a period of wakefulness.
In Western civilization before the Industrial Revolution, segmented sleep was the dominant form of human slumber since time immemorial, according to A. Roger Ekirch, a historian at Virginia Tech. Over the course of nearly two decades of research, Ekirch discovered extensive evidence of this sleep pattern in a wide variety of documents, dating from the ancient world until the nineteenth century. Typically, individuals slept in two discrete phases, bridged by an intervening period of wakefulness of up to an hour or more. Peasant couples, who were often too tired after field labor to do much more than eat and go to sleep, awakened later to have sex.[1] People also used this time to pray and reflect,[2] and to interpret dreams, which were more vivid at that hour than upon waking in the morning. This was also a favorite time for scholars and poets to write uninterrupted, whereas still others visited neighbors and engaged in petty crime.[3]
The human circadian rhythm regulates the human sleep-wake cycle of wakefulness during the day and sleep at night. Due to the modern use of electric lighting, most modern humans do not practice segmented sleep, which is a concern for some scientists.[4] Superimposed on this basic rhythm is a secondary one of light sleep in the early afternoon (see siesta) and quiet wakefulness in the early morning.
There is evidence from sleep research that this period of nighttime wakefulness, combined with a midday nap, results in greater alertness than a monophasic sleep-wake cycle.[citation needed] The brain exhibits high levels of the pituitary hormone prolactin during the period of nighttime wakefulness, which may contribute to the feeling of peace that many people associate with it. It is in many ways similar to the hypnogogic and hypnopompic states which occur just before falling asleep and upon waking, respectively.
The modern assumption that consolidated sleep with no awakenings is the normal and correct way for human adults to sleep may lead many people to approach their doctors with complaints of maintenance insomnia or other sleep disorders. Their concerns might best be addressed by assurance that their sleep conforms to historically natural sleep patterns.[5]

bazza

Immortal
If you are stressing about something try this fun solution:

Think of what is troubling you and imagine writing it on a piece of paper, putting it in an envelope and posting it away.
Do this with each of you troubles

Option 2:
Avoid TV, computers, phone, food for 30-60 minutes before going to bed.
Make sure your bedroom/bed is not too hot
If you have been in bed for 30 minutes and not gone to sleep, get up and go and read a book - then go back to bed when you are tired

alien

Referee
Yes I have actually. I can recall it happening a few times and I absolutely hate it. It always ends the same, my body spazs out tremendously and it feels more like I am thrown back into my body. as weird as that sounds. It also feels like I can see and hear everything but can't move anything but my eyes.

I've had sleep paralysis my entire life. Atleast that's what I think it is. Most of the time when it happens to me I can't even open my eyes, but I can hear something.

When you said that sometimes you feel like you are thrown back into your body, well some people say that when our physical bodies are sleeping we are actually just outside of our bodies, just above it, but still connected.

joshie

Live Update Team
I've had sleep paralysis my entire life. Atleast that's what I think it is. Most of the time when it happens to me I can't even open my eyes, but I can hear something.

When you said that sometimes you feel like you are thrown back into your body, well some people say that when our physical bodies are sleeping we are actually just outside of our bodies, just above it, but still connected.

I am not sure what to think of that to be honest. Before the sensation of being 'thrown' back into my body, I am lying on bed looking around. But hey, anything is possible right?

what do you think?

Slackboy72

Coach
Fight-Club-edward-norton-147695_1024_768.jpg

This is the way to sort out your corporate sponsorship.

alien

Referee
I am not sure what to think of that to be honest. Before the sensation of being 'thrown' back into my body, I am lying on bed looking around. But hey, anything is possible right?

what do you think?
im not sure, but it makes sense in a way. i think when most people have visions its through dreams, and if we are just outside of our physical bodies when we sleep then maybe we are not limited as much as we are when we are inside of our physical bodies. you know it makes sense :lol: