What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sloan

Dragon David

First Grade

blacksafake

First Grade

Wolfgang90

Juniors
Really hope Lomax guns it at FB in the pre-season to show Sloan what he could be missing if he doesn't improve. If he doesn't improve the defensive side of his game (like a few dragons players) then he won't be with us for long. I'm hoping he does a lot of video work while he can't do much physical training. This is a great opportunity to study the defensive positioning of Edwards, Tedesco etc.

justadragon

Bench
Really hope Lomax guns it at FB in the pre-season to show Sloan what he could be missing if he doesn't improve. If he doesn't improve the defensive side of his game (like a few dragons players) then he won't be with us for long. I'm hoping he does a lot of video work while he can't do much physical training. This is a great opportunity to study the defensive positioning of Edwards, Tedesco etc.
Do Tend to agree with you Wolfgang90, though I think his positioning was ok, it was his tackling technique and resilience that was a real issue. I think Flanno had lot of boxing sessions planned to give him that extra fight when trying to stop a player, plus I would also assume to cater for what seemed like a fear factor when he was being flicked off like a mosquito in the tackle. Anyway when he recovers it will all be totally up to him to prove himself.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors

He has his shortcomings as he is young, but you can't deny that this guy has a great head on his shoulders and in general just seems like a committed player and good bloke.

Parko1310

Juniors

He has his shortcomings as he is young, but you can't deny that this guy has a great head on his shoulders and in general just seems like a committed player and good bloke.
"Hopefully, Flanno lets me play next year". Telling that a new contract has already been signed?

blacksafake

First Grade

Sounds like a very grounded intelligent guy.

Victoire

Juniors
Will Kennedy is a good model to use, especially in terms of robustness in defence. But my main problem with Sloan this year was not his heart - it was his brain. He produced some painfully stupid things on the football field, multiple times across the season. The idiotic moment in the in-goal v Warriors (which cost us the game) being the most memorable of those.

Pat Carrigan famously told Reece Walsh to "slow his f**king brain" in a match this year... someone needs to order Sloan to start his brain up.

Mojo

Bench
Will Kennedy is a good model to use, especially in terms of robustness in defence. But my main problem with Sloan this year was not his heart - it was his brain. He produced some painfully stupid things on the football field, multiple times across the season. The idiotic moment in the in-goal v Warriors (which cost us the game) being the most memorable of those.

Pat Carrigan famously told Reece Walsh to "slow his f**king brain" in a match this year... someone needs to order Sloan to start his brain up.
I've been waiting for Walsh's brain to explode. Guaranteed to happen eventually.
It's painfully obvious that Sloan has a ton of potential but he's got a long way to go. Fortunately he's also very young. Hopefully the pace of his progress picks up soon.

justadragon

Bench
I've been waiting for Walsh's brain to explode. Guaranteed to happen eventually.
It's painfully obvious that Sloan has a ton of potential but he's got a long way to go. Fortunately he's also very young. Hopefully the pace of his progress picks up soon.
Lets not forget who his mentors have been over the last couple of years. Also it can be said that our pathways is certainly not preparing these guys for the NRL regardless of what talent they have. As we have noticed with teams like panthers storm roosters etc their juniors just fit straight in and do their job. Ours are expected to carry the team and fix all their problems with the pressure of the world applied as well. They just have no time to settle in.

blacksafake

First Grade
Lets not forget who his mentors have been over the last couple of years. Also it can be said that our pathways is certainly not preparing these guys for the NRL regardless of what talent they have. As we have noticed with teams like panthers storm roosters etc their juniors just fit straight in and do their job. Ours are expected to carry the team and fix all their problems with the pressure of the world applied as well. They just have no time to settle in.
Good post

Wolfgang90

Juniors

This. I remember him doing something similar against another team (tigers?) where he kicked along the sideline just on half-time in our own 20, luckily the ball went into touch otherwise the opposition would've got it. Will Kennedy is imo the ceiling for Sloan as a footy player.

I hope Flanno is genuine about getting Lomax reps at fullback because we need to have another option if Sloan doesn't work out. Fullback depth is shocking, similar to halves depth. Lomax also gives Flanno a different game style option for the team. Lomax = Less flair/more reliability v Sloan = more flair/less reliability.