What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sloan

This. I remember him doing something similar against another team (tigers?) where he kicked along the sideline just on half-time in our own 20, luckily the ball went into touch otherwise the opposition would've got it. Will Kennedy is imo the ceiling for Sloan as a footy player.

I hope Flanno is genuine about getting Lomax reps at fullback because we need to have another option if Sloan doesn't work out. Fullback depth is shocking, similar to halves depth. Lomax also gives Flanno a different game style option for the team. Lomax = Less flair/more reliability v Sloan = more flair/less reliability.
Our kick return metres would double with Zac at the back. Then our wingers will be hitting it up with momentum instead of being smashed. Then our forwards will offload more with less tacklers on them. The downside will be in the attacking zone. Zac can't skip around defenders like Sloan or Dufty to create numbers. It is possible to make up for that in other ways.

Dragon David

First Grade
Sloans a cat. Pass him off as a potential to other clubs and get him back once the hard work is done.
Cant see him as a one club player.
He sure is Lenny. A cool cat. One that runs like a cheetah. His development will go up heaps under Flanagan you wait and see. No use letting him go elsewhere. His heart is with the Dragons and the Illawarra area where he was schooled. I think that his development will be like Will Kennedy and he will kill it for us.

Sloans a cat. Pass him off as a potential to other clubs and get him back once the hard work is done.
Cant see him as a one club player.
Geez Lenny, That's harsh.

As fans we have so much vested interest in the local juniors coming through.
We hear the reports, we see then progress and we know the effort they put in
They tend to love the club more

I had great pleasure seeing the work ethic, and club loyalty pay off for Cody Ramsay.
I loved his passion and he was on his way to the top.
His medical condition was devasting to him and many of the Dragons fans.

We've been hearing of Sloan, Bud and Amone as the next big things but only one is left.
He seems a decent bloke aware of his defects and willing to work hard to improve them.
At least give him a chance under Flanno, after all Sloan has also lacked a decent coach.

He could become your next Favourite player and when he succeeds - he will be mine.

Lets not forget who his mentors have been over the last couple of years. Also it can be said that our pathways is certainly not preparing these guys for the NRL regardless of what talent they have. As we have noticed with teams like panthers storm roosters etc their juniors just fit straight in and do their job. Ours are expected to carry the team and fix all their problems with the pressure of the world applied as well. They just have no time to settle in.
Spot on jd. Our former pathways bosses have a lot to answer for. Priority on attack, leaving defense, specially the reading of it, as a poor cousin. I see it across all grades. BTW who is our new Pathways Manager, hope he has pinpointed this major flaw and intends rectifying it..

justadragon

Bench
Spot on jd. Our former pathways bosses have a lot to answer for. Priority on attack, leaving defense, specially the reading of it, as a poor cousin. I see it across all grades. BTW who is our new Pathways Manager, hope he has pinpointed this major flaw and intends rectifying it..
Totally agree mate, we had Sloan and Stewart, wonderful attacking players but woeful in defence as applies to others in the lower grades. I've said this before, its way more entertaining to score a try than it is to stop one, you get to do all your dance moves and show pony stuff. But you feel like shit when you just get flicked off like an insect trying to stop a try. Its up to them now to learn their technique and be proud of the defensive line with resilience. The first major hurdle is Sloan has accepted he has defensive issues and wants to work hard to rectify them, I really hope he succeeds, because I think he can really be something if he does.

possm

Coach
I believe Lomax will do very well at fullback. He is a solid defender and has a good step and a good pass to put a winger away when chiming in from the back. One advantage Lomax will have is the organizing of his backline in defense.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
own field position as a team and a FB looks twice as good

I see enough but Flanno obviously wants and needs more hence the Manu talk in the media

I believe Lomax will do very well at fullback. He is a solid defender and has a good step and a good pass to put a winger away when chiming in from the back. One advantage Lomax will have is the organizing of his backline in defense.
Totally agree possm, go with Lomax as Sloan has enuff on his plate fixing his own defensive issues without the extra bother of the rest of the back line. When Sloan has his defense up to scratch, either return him to the back or play him in a wide position where he can use his exceptional attacking skills, while occasionally he can slip in as receiver to use his ball skills and vision.

Last edited:
but Flanno obviously wants and needs more hence the Manu talk in the media
We already tabled him a 1m+ offer in October, plus the captaincy. Been silence since. Only thing I have read is that Flanagan does not think he will leave Bondi. Reckon our new coach needs to be a better salesman. Can you imagine Frank Facer saying that about a player he wanted. " We aint letting Johnny Raper leave Newtown".
"We'll see about that". He wasnt called "fearless" for nothing.

Last edited:

TheRev

Coach
I don't think we are in a position for Flanno to be able to sell anything yet.. someone like Manu would be a masterstroke, but i think we need a couple of lesser names signed before we can pull that stuff off.. I mean if we fire enough shots maybe 1 of them hits.. but there arent many players left we can even approach for 2025.. they are all signed up.