What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sloan

since77

Juniors
f**ken A
Good on the Dragons and good on Sloan

The doubters can go forth and multiply
Well to be fair sometimes Sloan can give those doubters plenty of ammunition. But as far as I'm concerned this is Sloan's first year under a competent coach. He's improved. And importantly the only X factor player we have in the backline. Still have some obvious flaws.
If Flanno has made the decision that he wanted to re-sign him and put at least 2 more years of work into him then that's good enough for me. I don't think Flanno re-signs Sloan if he thinks he's a lost cause.

Everyone deserves their chance and Sloan has improved this year despite not being the complete allrounder at full back. On this trajectory he will go far.

BUT

There's a few young fullbacks out there who look better prospects at this stage.
Also, as Dragons fans, we've seen the likes of Dufty, Field and Quinlan before that come in and never become the complete player and you get similar vibes about this signing.

Overall I am happy for him and feel it is a good move by the club if the price is right. It will be exciting to see him improve and improve....

BLM01

First Grade
Well to be fair sometimes Sloan can give those doubters plenty of ammunition. But as far as I'm concerned this is Sloan's first year under a competent coach. He's improved. And importantly the only X factor player we have in the backline. Still have some obvious flaws.
If Flanno has made the decision that he wanted to re-sign him and put at least 2 more years of work into him then that's good enough for me. I don't think Flanno re-signs Sloan if he thinks he's a lost cause.
He is far from a lost cause. People forget still a kid at 21

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Everyone deserves their chance and Sloan has improved this year despite not being the complete allrounder at full back. On this trajectory he will go far.

BUT

There's a few young fullbacks out there who look better prospects at this stage.
Also, as Dragons fans, we've seen the likes of Dufty, Field and Quinlan before that come in and never become the complete player and you get similar vibes about this signing.

Overall I am happy for him and feel it is a good move by the club if the price is right. It will be exciting to see him improve and improve....
I agree re Quinlan, Duff, Field but there's one major difference I see in Sloan - the type of person he is. Tyrell is a genuinely good person that's come from horrid conditions in his life to the biggest stage in rugby league, representing his people and expresses a genuine love for the club. He is far, far from complete and does my head in sometimes but I'd take him with his great attitude over anyone else and their personality problems. He is the type of person the Dragons have needed, yet lacked so severely over the last few years

Slippery Morris

First Grade
People that bag Sloan should watch other fullbacks that are established and will see that they also make an error or 2 at times. Difference is poor Sloan gets smashed each time he makes one. He will come good. 2 years is not that long so he has that time to really cement himself in the squad full time and get an upgrade. I am glad he has been given more time to develop and Flanno must see something in him to want to keep him.

Saints need to spend in other areas other than fullback at the moment as they have Sloan and now Matt Feagai who is killing it in reserves and now Tamale given a red hot crack. I also like this youngster Peckham-Harris. This kid looks really good. Small but plenty of ticker and seen him tackles some big fellas so not afraid to put his body on the line.

hook hook

Juniors
People that bag Sloan should watch other fullbacks that are established and will see that they also make an error or 2 at times. Difference is poor Sloan gets smashed each time he makes one. He will come good. 2 years is not that long so he has that time to really cement himself in the squad full time and get an upgrade. I am glad he has been given more time to develop and Flanno must see something in him to want to keep him.

Saints need to spend in other areas other than fullback at the moment as they have Sloan and now Matt Feagai who is killing it in reserves and now Tamale given a red hot crack. I also like this youngster Peckham-Harris. This kid looks really good. Small but plenty of ticker and seen him tackles some big fellas so not afraid to put his body on the line.
And let’s not forget, arguably the most talented fullback out of all of them, Rumble in JF

Victoire

Juniors
I'm happy with this! There were (and are) some definite deficiencies in his game but there's no doubt he has worked hard and either removed some of them or is on the way to fixing them. He's a much improved player and really our only genuine long-range try threat. Speed kills, and in a team which has so little of it, Tyrell Sloan is gold.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Sloan is also a better prospect than all of those others mentioned
Would much rather have him than Matt "let me go for the intercept so I don't have to tackle" Dufty
I agree with your 2nd sentence but Dufty looks so much better this year. I am not sure what he said but Big Sam Burgess finally has him playing really well and could get the Man of Steel award at the end of the season.

Dragon David

First Grade
For me Dufty burns Sloan as an attacker and ball player ......
Yes, I must say that Dufty is electric in attack and looks a lot better than Sloan going from the highlights reel. It should be noted though that most of Dufty's "brilliance" for Warrington is that the competition is the Super League and on balance, good defence can be questionable particularly when you have a guy like Dufty making you feel the breeze he leaves you with when he runs past you. He is a very handy try assister as well.

I hope he has a blinder in the Challenge Cup final this weekend.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Dufty back in the NRL one day although in saying that he is 28 and when he finishes his deal at Warrington, he will be 30, so I might have to withdraw my comment about him coming back to the NRL.

Latest posts