What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sloan

Illusion

Bench
Yes, I must say that Dufty is electric in attack and looks a lot better than Sloan going from the highlights reel. It should be noted though that most of Dufty's "brilliance" for Warrington is that the competition is the Super League and on balance, good defence can be questionable particularly when you have a guy like Dufty making you feel the breeze he leaves you with when he runs past you. He is a very handy try assister as well.

I hope he has a blinder in the Challenge Cup final this weekend.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Dufty back in the NRL one day although in saying that he is 28 and when he finishes his deal at Warrington, he will be 30, so I might have to withdraw my comment about him coming back to the NRL.
David Dufty was scoring tries with us , he was our top try scorer , most try assist more than our super star 7 , most line breaks .......... Yep his defense not great but with a good coach like Sloan now would of improved ...... The way the game has quickened up he would have been deadly coming on either at dummy half or fullback ....... Just my thoughts .........

RedVee

First Grade
David Dufty was scoring tries with us , he was our top try scorer , most try assist more than our super star 7 , most line breaks .......... Yep his defense not great but with a good coach like Sloan now would have improved ...... The way the game has quickened up he would have been deadly coming on either at dummy half or fullback ....... Just my thoughts .........
Yeah, I think Flanno could have done more with Dufyy than Hook & Trent managed

Dragon David

First Grade
David Dufty was scoring tries with us , he was our top try scorer , most try assist more than our super star 7 , most line breaks .......... Yep his defense not great but with a good coach like Sloan now would of improved ...... The way the game has quickened up he would have been deadly coming on either at dummy half or fullback ....... Just my thoughts .........
Yeah, I think Flanno could have done more with Dufyy than Hook & Trent managed
Yes, all of the above. His defence under Mary and Hook wasn't at all much chop and he knew it. Flanno would have put in that extra bit like he has been doing with Sloan to improve him I have no doubt, but now the ship has well and truly sailed and Dufty I would think is loving it in the UK and playing under big Sam Burgess.

since77

Juniors
Like a few youngsters we burnt during the McGregor / Griffin years it would be interesting to see how the Duffman would have gone under a good coach. So much waste during those years..........

Lennyb

Juniors
Had the time to watch the last 2 games again.

Noticed that Sloan gets a license to talk in the huddle.

I just want to see a full blooded run into the defensive line.

Obviously its a tactic by Flanno, to build his confidence.

But, one would be good. Just to build my confidence.

Lennyb

Juniors
Baby steps with sloan ... The 19 year old to explode and dominate is the rarity .. the one who develops into a 1st grader is the norm and time to learn is critical especially for someone who has had such poor coaching in formative years.

A fullback who talks is one we need, esp if the rest of the team respond.
Need them to listen.

Just one good run and aim it at Jake. He will be there.

Then Im on team Sloan.

Just one. Not too much to ask for, dont care if he gets smashed and drops it.

Been 2 years.

TheRev

First Grade
Need them to listen.

Just one good run and aim it at Jake. He will be there.

Then Im on team Sloan.

Just one. Not too much to ask for, dont care if he gets smashed and drops it.

Been 2 years.
The big part missing for me is that 'individually' he is not actually a threat in attack... any number of those 19yr olds will run at the line.. step through a tackle and go the length.. Sloan doesnt have that.. im proud of him for running harder 'into' tacklers this year.. but he needs empty space to break the line, usually off the back of a teammate.

Like other fans, I hope that other areas in his game will make up for the missing pieces, but I dont see the 'special talent' that a lot of fans on here do.. someone that we have invested 3yrs into.

TheRev

First Grade
I've learnt over the last 7 years that although we watch the same game, I will never see what a Sloan or Dufty fan sees, I know you guys mean well.. but I don't see it.

Your highlights are helpful though because they kind of prove my point, a year of highlights and the sharks one he actually broke a tackle with a palm.. the rest is what im saying.. he is running fast into yawning spaces.. thats awesome when we have the defense at 6s and 7s or he runs in support... but (imo) its a low bar... if we had of gotten Talagi im convinced he would have taken the jersey within 12mths... but the reality is that attracting talent just isnt happening for us... and we dont have anyone else at the club that could do any better, our young kids are years away.

But I watched all of Talagi's games from fullback this year.. holy hell.. that is a weapon and hes 19 and a complete rookie... Faalago is another, Bula doesnt get much opportunity at the tiges, but watching him come at us scares the bejesus out of me.

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors
I've learnt over the last 7 years that although we watch the same game, I will never see what a Sloan or Dufty fan sees, I know you guys mean well.. but I don't see it.

Your highlights are helpful though because they kind of prove my point, a year of highlights and the sharks one he actually broke a tackle with a palm.. the rest is what im saying.. he is running fast into yawning spaces.. thats awesome when we have the defense at 6s and 7s or he runs in support... but (imo) its a low bar... if we had of gotten Talagi im convinced he would have taken the jersey within 12mths... but the reality is that attracting talent just isnt happening for us... and we dont have anyone else at the club that could do any better, our young kids are years away.

But I watched all of Talagi's games from fullback this year.. holy hell.. that is a weapon and hes 19 and a complete rookie... Faalago is another, Bula doesnt get much opportunity at the tiges, but watching him come at us scares the bejesus out of me.
This is easily your worst continual take Rev, I rate your contributions here but your Sloan bashing is getting petty now. I’d really like to revisit this thread in a few years time, I reckon you’ll be eating your words.

For me the most impressive thing I see in Sloans game is his desire to become better, the one percenters he’s competing on, the talking he does in the huddle, that’s someone who is maturing in front of our eyes. He knows he’s not a finished product but is willing to put in the effort to become better, that’s a common trait of all champions.

Besides being an absolute sook of a human, Duftys biggest problem was his lack of desire in those areas. I saw absolutely no maturation during his stint with us, and whether you put it down to bad coaching or a lack of maturity he never looked like he wanted to listen to what his coaches were telling him. He somehow always knew better, and it was infuriating to watch. To me Sloan has listened to everything Flano has asked of him, and is responding with more improvement in half a season then the duffman did in 3.

Latest posts