What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sloan

Dragon David

First Grade
justa posted on the Broncos R19 in Brisbane thread the following:-

"Here is the eternal question !!!! How long would Flanno give Sloan to at least become the complete player ??? If we look forward, we are losing Lomax, so as far as I'm concerned he is out of the picture. We have Allen and Matt Feagai, we are chasing Blaize, and over the horizon we have some pretty good juniors. I personally like the kid but he had a poor defensive performance, everything else was pretty good, even though I think his attacking play has dropped off, that comes with other teams working him out, he has to find other ways to counter that, along with our game plans.
I also think when we are defending our line we need him to be out wider from the ruck and let our forwards handle that defence. Also he cant be out too wide without protection, ala Soward and Scott as was previously mentioned.

So whats the timeframe people ??? This year was the excuse of a limited preseason due to injury, next year everybody else will be online, so what does Flanno do ??

As I said I like the kid and I hope they persist with him and he becomes all that he can be, as a great Dragons player. My thoughts would turn to if by some miracle Ramsay made it back, what would we do ?"

I suppose when you think about Sloan and "how long Flanno will give him to at least become the complete player" and "what's the timeframe", sometimes it might be a case of how long is a piece of string. While he is improving, he still has a long way to go to possess the skills that make up a formidable fullback.

To explain the role of the fullback in this day and age I have managed to find this on the net -

"Arguably the most important position in the modern game, the role of the Fullback has drastically evolved over the years.

Assigned the no.1 jersey, the Fullback is the chief organizer for their side, particularly in defence.

You’ll often see them standing behind the defensive line barking instructions to the rest of the team and then quickly getting on their bike to try and chase an opposition player who has made a line break.

Once merely support players in attack, the role of the Fullback with the ball in hand is now very different to what it once was.

The modern no. 1 is expected to chime in with sweeping attacking moves, providing and extra man to create an overlap and then use their ball playing ability to find a free play to cross for a four-pointer, often a Winger."

So good defence is one thing we know he lacks in and I haven't seen him barking instructions to the rest of the team etc. In attack he does chime in to make the extra man but mainly on the right hand side. To me he is not supporting our forwards often enough to allow him to take offloads. I haven't seen an offload to him in yonks. He also needs to be reading the play better and in attack especially come in to take the ball more often like Teddy and Edwards for instance.

The other thing is he needs to put on more beef and muscle.

As I said, how long is a piece of string? Is it too long? Will Flanno wait to see who in the juniors can do most things that Sloan lacks or go external?

As said at the start, fullback is the most important position in the modern game. If Sloan cannot meet the demands of this position, then Flanno might need him to try his hand in other positions, like how he has made Lomax go to the wing.

hewi

Bench
From Fox. I think the clock is ticking for Sloan one more display like that and I’d say he is off to KOE cup. I feel for him but in this day and age of video and analysis by clubs looking for an oppositions weaknesses Sloan is just going to get more and more targeted in defence unless his tackling is fixed. High ball seems good now here is hoping the defe issues can be rectified.

SLOAN A DEFENSIVE LIABILITY FOR DRAGONS

Not that speed is everything for a fullback if they can’t make their tackles.

It was another gutsy win by the Dragons to hand the Broncos their sixth straight defeat.

But when Shane Flanagan was spotted talking one-on-one to Tyrell Sloan after game, it’s not hard to guess what the focus of that conversation was about.

Everyone knows Flanagan is a defence-driven coach and it would be killing him knowing the talent Sloan has at his disposal.

If only he could develop a stronger defensive mindset.

Sloan came up with four shocking misses that led directly tries late in the game.

Kotoni Staggs bumped Sloan off on two occasions, while Ezra Mam and young dummy half Blake Mozer both took turns.

In fairness, Sloan had some big moments in the context of the game.

But it certainly didn’t make up for those late missed tackles that very nearly cost the Dragons victory.

You just can’t have a fullback who consistently gets exposed this badly if you want to play finals footy.

Last edited:

Unsainty79

Juniors
I would hardly call all four of them 'shocking misses'. He should never be isolated on the line by himself and that is probably a reflection of the forwards more than anything. I do agree he should've done better with the two misses on Staggs, though.

In the absence of any genuine fullback competition in the squad this year, you just have to keep backing him. He was tremendous under the high ball and has improved out of sight this year.

I don't think Flanagan sees him as a long-term fullback given the deal they offered Turuva and the links to Papenhuyzen.

matPORTS

Juniors
As I just alluded to in the "signings" thread.

We may need to bring in an experienced 1 i.e. Gutherson to help mentor Sloan, and be a back up option (I'd play Gutherson in the centres - and this is all subject to salary cap position/negotiations on both sides of the fence).

Flanno courting Blaize Talagi (and family) aggressively could also be fodder for the real target?

justadragon

Bench
ATM we have a couple of choices, is Matt Faegei or Lomax the better fit FOR NOW, not into the future. Cant see Sloan on the wing, last time he played there he looked lost.
Either we persist with what we have and continue to work with it, which I hope we do, accept the fact that his defence will cost us until it improves, or make a change NOW. It's Flanno's choice, but once again I wouldn't like to imagine what the conversation was about between him and Sloan.

Last edited:
Sloan really needs to work on his tackling technique. As he has a more "whippish" type build as opposed to the blockier build of other players, he has to rely more on good tacking technique to bring down opponents as his bulk will not do it. A better technique will be better for him, and the side, whilst adding some extra muscle will benefit him too.

TheRev

Coach
Its a hard one with Rumble, he keeps getting injured (or sick) and hes doing so well in Flegg when he does play, I just think theyre gonna keep a strong side down there.. but.. I mean Flegg is nearly out of finals contention.. and if that happens surely that changes our perspective.

On the other side.. if NSW Cup is going well enough to be finals bound, do you want to mess with that? Maybe 1 or 2 bodies.. Latu + maybe a Williams in for Roberts + NickT in and get rid of Shereb and/or Russell..

I think next year its Rumbles chance for NSW Cup #1 jersey though.. or maybe they play him on the wing if for example Sloan was in reserves.. so many variables.. it does my head in at times!

The more I think about it.. the more I think Rumbles T&T Contract turns into a Dev contract next year, aslong as he finishes the year strong..

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Its a hard one with Rumble, he keeps getting injured (or sick) and hes doing so well in Flegg when he does play, I just think theyre gonna keep a strong side down there.. but.. I mean Flegg is nearly out of finals contention.. and if that happens surely that changes our perspective.

On the other side.. if NSW Cup is going well enough to be finals bound, do you want to mess with that? Maybe 1 or 2 bodies.. Latu + maybe a Williams in for Roberts + NickT in and get rid of Shereb and/or Russell..

I think next year its Rumbles chance for NSW Cup #1 jersey though.. or maybe they play him on the wing if for example Sloan was in reserves.. so many variables.. it does my head in at times!

The more I think about it.. the more I think Rumbles T&T Contract turns into a Dev contract next year, aslong as he finishes the year strong..
Yeah I just did a bit of counting re Rumble... unless I missed a game he's scored 17 in 11. Pretty impressive

Dragon David

First Grade

Thanks The Rev.

TruSaint

Referee
Sloan really needs to work on his tackling technique. As he has a more "whippish" type build as opposed to the blockier build of other players, he has to rely more on good tacking technique to bring down opponents as his bulk will not do it. A better technique will be better for him, and the side, whilst adding some extra muscle will benefit him too.

Great point. In open play defensively too many shirt grabs and shoulder tackles for mine. On the goal line, where he cant makes a legs tackle he needs to get much lower to the ground and always have a big body next to him. Easier said than done, but so long as team see his liabilities we will leak points.

Lennyb

Juniors
justa posted on the Broncos R19 in Brisbane thread the following:-

"Here is the eternal question !!!! How long would Flanno give Sloan to at least become the complete player ??? If we look forward, we are losing Lomax, so as far as I'm concerned he is out of the picture. We have Allen and Matt Feagai, we are chasing Blaize, and over the horizon we have some pretty good juniors. I personally like the kid but he had a poor defensive performance, everything else was pretty good, even though I think his attacking play has dropped off, that comes with other teams working him out, he has to find other ways to counter that, along with our game plans.
I also think when we are defending our line we need him to be out wider from the ruck and let our forwards handle that defence. Also he cant be out too wide without protection, ala Soward and Scott as was previously mentioned.

So whats the timeframe people ??? This year was the excuse of a limited preseason due to injury, next year everybody else will be online, so what does Flanno do ??

As I said I like the kid and I hope they persist with him and he becomes all that he can be, as a great Dragons player. My thoughts would turn to if by some miracle Ramsay made it back, what would we do ?"

I suppose when you think about Sloan and "how long Flanno will give him to at least become the complete player" and "what's the timeframe", sometimes it might be a case of how long is a piece of string. While he is improving, he still has a long way to go to possess the skills that make up a formidable fullback.

To explain the role of the fullback in this day and age I have managed to find this on the net -

"Arguably the most important position in the modern game, the role of the Fullback has drastically evolved over the years.

Assigned the no.1 jersey, the Fullback is the chief organizer for their side, particularly in defence.

You’ll often see them standing behind the defensive line barking instructions to the rest of the team and then quickly getting on their bike to try and chase an opposition player who has made a line break.

Once merely support players in attack, the role of the Fullback with the ball in hand is now very different to what it once was.

The modern no. 1 is expected to chime in with sweeping attacking moves, providing and extra man to create an overlap and then use their ball playing ability to find a free play to cross for a four-pointer, often a Winger."

So good defence is one thing we know he lacks in and I haven't seen him barking instructions to the rest of the team etc. In attack he does chime in to make the extra man but mainly on the right hand side. To me he is not supporting our forwards often enough to allow him to take offloads. I haven't seen an offload to him in yonks. He also needs to be reading the play better and in attack especially come in to take the ball more often like Teddy and Edwards for instance.

The other thing is he needs to put on more beef and muscle.

As I said, how long is a piece of string? Is it too long? Will Flanno wait to see who in the juniors can do most things that Sloan lacks or go external?

As said at the start, fullback is the most important position in the modern game. If Sloan cannot meet the demands of this position, then Flanno might need him to try his hand in other positions, like how he has made Lomax go to the wing.
Regarding support up the guts, I have noticed sloan supporting on the right shoulder last few games and hasnt been seen. Surely it is not trained, hell debelin got the ball from liddle last game. Sloan should be shouldering him off in support and getting the ball instead.

The kid does my head in not wanting to do the tough stuff. He has only just got it through his head that if he jumps and takes a bomb he wont get hurt.

Did I mention he does my head in.