What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sloan

Jersey No 14

Juniors
I would love to sit down and watch these game - so you can explain your theories.
did anybody not see how he was bamboozled by the bulldogs attacking raids.
But he can run with he football.
again. - the wing is his place.
Man has got to know his limitations

Dragon for life

Juniors
Agreed, what you want to see is continual improvement. His positioning and willingness to put his body on the line still need to improve, but he's shown there's improvement there by making that try saving tackle. Time and learning from mistakes, and then rectifying them to become better is what will eventually make him a very good player. His attacking deficiencies will improve when his body gets bigger in time. As I've said, the clear improvement in his game is a very positive sign as it will eventually lead to him rounding out his game nicely if he sticks at it.
He really needs to put on about 20kg. yes he will lose some speed but so be it. My opinion would be to look elsewhere, remind me of having Dufty back

TheRev

First Grade
Will correct a little bit here. Sloan played a majority of his junior football as a winger. Even in the successful SG Ball team that won the oremiership, which also included Bud, Amone and Feagai's. In fact Stewart played the majority of that season at fullback and he can just make the reserve grade squad. Also, when Stewart wasn't fullback. I thinkbit was One of the Feagai's that filled in there.

But, in sayingvthat, I agree Tyrell is a winger, but who can play fullback?
I wish fans and media would understand this.. Stewart was the gun fullback.. his attack is twice that of Sloan's.. he tears thru half holes... Sloan is basically bringing speed...not to say he wont make it.. but its not the narrative that the media seem to have sold as the Bud/Jr/Sloan triangle that must stay together.

I'm also yet to read a thread about how we need to pick & stick with Stewart..

Parko1310

Juniors
I wish fans and media would understand this.. Stewart was the gun fullback.. his attack is twice that of Sloan's.. he tears thru half holes... Sloan is basically bringing speed...not to say he wont make it.. but its not the narrative that the media seem to have sold as the Bud/Jr/Sloan triangle that must stay together.

I'm also yet to read a thread about how we need to pick & stick with Stewart..
Just from my personal observation, Stewart is not good enough. Short for a fullback, seems to carry extra weight (not the muscle kind), consistently drops kicks, gets caught out of position constantly. His ceiling is a lot lower to that of Sloan's. There just isn't that much improvement in him. His deficiencies are similar to those of Sloan's with a lower ceiling, with Sloan now working on his deficiencies and clearly miles ahead of Stewart in development. I don't see why you'd promote him over Sloan.

Wolfgang90

Juniors
Sloan has shown glimpses of being a good passer too. Not one of the current gun fullbacks were good early in their careers. They all showed glimpses then improved year on year. Lets be a bit patient with Sloan, let him improve then in a couple of seasons re-evaluate his best position. Teddy was a tiger but injury plagues, Dylan Edwards had soap for hands, ditto with Will Kennedy, Turbo for all his greatness is injury prone & didn't have a passing game when entering fullback. Hammer was dropped for Scott Drinkwater last year. Gutho was a centre, had injuries then built his game at the eels.

A fullback takes time to become a gun, he isn't a gun from day 1.

Victoire

Juniors
Sloan is the only bloke who can create anything in attack and people want to send him back to reserve grade? Fair dinkum, did you not watch the Anzac Day game?
He’s a handful of games in, he’s a bit rocks or diamonds but at least he looks like he might be a first grader!
Fegai brothers, reserve graders.
Lomax, reserve grader.
Amone, reserve grader.
But you want to drop the kid that looks like he has something special back to reserve grade.
Bloody hell.
I know right. After Anzac Day he had James Tedesco paying him effusive compliments. Yet the kid has a dip in form after a short turnaround and some absolutely cooked boomers are saying "drop him because he's not Changa Langlands!" fmd

jodragon40

Juniors
expand...
Agree I have always said that Sloan reminded me of a young David Peachy in stature, the way he moves across the paddock, his quick soft hands and he has speed to burn. Now to his development side of his game and his current archilles heel has been his defence. To me he lacks confidence in taking the high ball again as we witnessed on Sunday mind you we are talking about bombs from Burton but young Feigai caught the ones aimed at him. One of the most important jobs of today's fullback is having the ability to organise your defensive line from the back field. Sloan cannot do this at the moment. His spacing is wrong, his own spacing from the main defensive line is wrong. If you can beare to watch the replays the 2 tries the Bulldogs scored from the wing he was far too far back and not following the ball across the paddock, instead of shepherding the ball carrier towards the sideline he rushed in twice and was stepped twice if he makes one of those tackles we win a bit harsh but reality. In the 1st half his positioning was far too shallow hence a 2nd rower kicking past him and outrunning him to the line, someone gave him advice at oranges to stand deeper in the 2nd half. No doubt this played on his mind hence he was far too deep in the 2nd half. His attack is 1st grade standard his defence is not. In saying that he is our no. 1 for years to come and would be better off under a different coaching and skill group. I don't blame him for the loss that is a stupid thing to say or believe it's akin to blaming a soccer goalkeeper for letting in 4 goals but for that to happen the opposition has to beat the 10 other outfield players. Just the observations of an old broken down 2nd grade coach

possm

Coach
I'd say, further evaluation of Sloan's value to the team must include a stint at five-eighth. He has all the markings of a slick 6 except for his ability to effectively tackle consistently. At five-eighth, he could be of greater assistance to the attack and over time, improve his defensive skills.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
On Anzac Day Sloan played a blinder against Roosters, this week his game was not so good. These things happen and he will learn from it. Give the kid a go. Everyone bagging the kid is giving Hook some sort of reasoning behind his ignorance not to play him last year. If he had that season under his belt he would be even better than he has already shown. He is the only thing good at Saints this year, let's not ruin that by bagging the kid to ruin any confidence he has. He is showing more ticker than Hunt and Amone that is for sure.

Old Timer

Coach
On Anzac Day Sloan played a blinder against Roosters, this week his game was not so good. These things happen and he will learn from it. Give the kid a go. Everyone bagging the kid is giving Hook some sort of reasoning behind his ignorance not to play him last year. If he had that season under his belt he would be even better than he has already shown. He is the only thing good at Saints this year, let's not ruin that by bagging the kid to ruin any confidence he has. He is showing more ticker than Hunt and Amone that is for sure.
It's not that people are bagging him they are just calling it as they see it.

Ball in hand no questions.

In defence lot's of questions and rightfully so.

Most would rather have him dropping a bomb and covering it up as best as possible rather than not attempting to catch it and looking dumbfounded when the opposition get it back and score.

So how many times should he be allowed not to get under the ball before he is criticised for not doing so and Max Feagai certainly showed Sloan how to commit to the task?

Yes by all means allow time for positional play to improve and how to give guidance to others as we defend but catching come on we all know that is a very basic skill for any FB.

TheRev

First Grade
He has a free pass for a while, especially with the other major spine changes coming... I feel like I've seen more games where he drops everything... than actual good games.. But like I said earlier if he keeps showing the coach he's getting better.. it's fine..

Hopefully it's obvious before the end of the year if he's up for it... Ie. he can't be given 2 years like dufty had.

RedVee_8

Juniors
And it is promising that is best game for us was on the biggest stage available during the club season short of a grand final.

Old Timer

Coach
And it is promising that is best game for us was on the biggest stage available during the club season short of a grand final.
That's exactly how we make bad judgments on players IMO.

The Roosters were anything but at their best and we looked good for about 20 minutes in total.

Sloan's best moments adds up to about 1.5 minutes probably less that that if brutally honest.

The best FB's are always pushing up looking for the ball and playing as a 2nd 5/8 and do so all the time.

We are so bad that any player running into an open space is considered a gun.

BTB

Juniors
Agree I have always said that Sloan reminded me of a young David Peachy in stature, the way he moves across the paddock, his quick soft hands and he has speed to burn. Now to his development side of his game and his current archilles heel has been his defence. To me he lacks confidence in taking the high ball again as we witnessed on Sunday mind you we are talking about bombs from Burton but young Feigai caught the ones aimed at him. One of the most important jobs of today's fullback is having the ability to organise your defensive line from the back field. Sloan cannot do this at the moment. His spacing is wrong, his own spacing from the main defensive line is wrong. If you can beare to watch the replays the 2 tries the Bulldogs scored from the wing he was far too far back and not following the ball across the paddock, instead of shepherding the ball carrier towards the sideline he rushed in twice and was stepped twice if he makes one of those tackles we win a bit harsh but reality. In the 1st half his positioning was far too shallow hence a 2nd rower kicking past him and outrunning him to the line, someone gave him advice at oranges to stand deeper in the 2nd half. No doubt this played on his mind hence he was far too deep in the 2nd half. His attack is 1st grade standard his defence is not. In saying that he is our no. 1 for years to come and would be better off under a different coaching and skill group. I don't blame him for the loss that is a stupid thing to say or believe it's akin to blaming a soccer goalkeeper for letting in 4 goals but for that to happen the opposition has to beat the 10 other outfield players. Just the observations of an old broken down 2nd grade coach
Yes
That's exactly how we make bad judgments on players IMO.

The Roosters were anything but at their best and we looked good for about 20 minutes in total.

Sloan's best moments adds up to about 1.5 minutes probably less that that if brutally honest.

The best FB's are always pushing up looking for the ball and playing as a 2nd 5/8 and do so all the time.

We are so bad that any player running into an open space is considered a gun.
Sloan is not a fullback.
He's a winger at best, in Reserve grade.
Can't tackle, really not first grade material.
Can't take a bomb.
Needs more time in Reserve grade to learn how
to organize his players in defence.

TheRev

First Grade
We are probably out hunting for a fullback capable player to replace Ramsey's position, so until then there is really no one to replace Sloan in our squad..... and if he wants the jersey he couldn't have a better opportunity to take it..

The main non-negotiable though.. is he has to start being reliable under a slightly contested bomb.. he was dodging them in the Anzac game too.. even though we seem to be focusing on the 2 times he burned someone in attack..

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Sloan has saved more tries than Dufty ever did and he has only played a about 15 games. He at least has a go in defence and will only get better. That Dogs game was his worst game defensively I agree but before that I think he has been ok at fullback and has pulled off some try savers. There was even an article about him which he stated that he is enjoys stopping tries as much as scoring them know which was something he never did as much before this season. It really is a shame he did not get more games last year for whatever reason but I think give the kid 50 NRL games and he will be a star for sure.