What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sloan

Mojo

Bench
Its not bitching , its as soon as a mistake is made by the young blokes , its drop him he cant tackle , that was after Sullys game when he missed a tackle on the Titans fullback ..... Seems to be ok when the seasoned players let tries in and its been happening for a long time and we accept it ..... We need to give them time , there will be dropped balls missed tackles by the young guys , and hay if it continues after a few weeks then they need to fix their deficiencies in lower grade ...... Anyway mate lets hope its a win tonight ......
sulli actually muscled up in that tackle. A couple of big boys nearby stood and watched when they could have - and should have - completed the tackle. It wasn’t Sulli‘s fault; it was lack of commitment from others.

Parko1310

Juniors
I think Sloan is progressing pretty well. Don’t forget he did save a try in the first half, last year I don’t think he would have attempted that tackle with nearly that gusto. Yes, he has a way to go to be Billy Slater, but I’m happy to let him get more experience. The improvement will follow.
Agreed, what you want to see is continual improvement. His positioning and willingness to put his body on the line still need to improve, but he's shown there's improvement there by making that try saving tackle. Time and learning from mistakes, and then rectifying them to become better is what will eventually make him a very good player. His attacking deficiencies will improve when his body gets bigger in time. As I've said, the clear improvement in his game is a very positive sign as it will eventually lead to him rounding out his game nicely if he sticks at it.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Agreed, what you want to see is continual improvement. His positioning and willingness to put his body on the line still need to improve, but he's shown there's improvement there by making that try saving tackle. Time and learning from mistakes, and then rectifying them to become better is what will eventually make him a very good player. His attacking deficiencies will improve when his body gets bigger in time. As I've said, the clear improvement in his game is a very positive sign as it will eventually lead to him rounding out his game nicely if he sticks at it.
Tyrell is certainly more robust this year but still looks very slight to me when strength is such an important quality for the modern full-back. Constant assaults from multiple opposing players trying to smash you after catching a bomb and then forcing you back into the in-goal is no fun. I'm no expert on body building but two similar speedster one irons from other clubs have suddenly bulked up over the off season. The first (and most dramatic) is Jason Saab. He's been in rehab for an ACL and his upper body shape has gone from Mr Puniverse to Mr Universe. Meanwhile Gold Coast full back Jayden Campbell is now quite solid and based on his cameo against the Cowboys has lost no speed.

thebigredv

First Grade
ive got Treigh ahead of Sloan for fb...just an incredibly fast strong natural real player...followed him for years he just carved all opposition in every game , he should start at 1 with Tyrell and Matty F wings, Rav was never a consistent player
Yep agree but I’m happy to see Rava used in forwards but we need speed on the edges and none of our wingers or centres have this.

1. Stewart
2. Feagai
3. Suli
4. Lomax
5. Sloan

14. Ravalawa (impact bench)

Jersey No 14

Juniors
It is clear to me. (I’m not trolling here just to be clear)
Positives - super fast and dynamic
He can’t read the play in his current position.
there has been countless examples of this
Further
He will not / cannot tackle
Basis fundamentals of our game Yet he is a first grade fullback.
compare to Changa - Lord Ted.
oh we have lost our ways.
solution
He would make a great winger.
We went through this with Duffy.
But got to say.
Junior coach Has been shown appalling.
the boys are clearly just never taught properly.
when we get a new coach please address the whole St George organisation. Top to bottom.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
It is clear to me. (I’m not trolling here just to be clear)
Positives - super fast and dynamic
He can’t read the play in his current position.
there has been countless examples of this
Further
He will not / cannot tackle
Basis fundamentals of our game Yet he is a first grade fullback.
compare to Changa - Lord Ted.
oh we have lost our ways.
solution
He would make a great winger.
We went through this with Duffy.
But got to say.
Junior coach Has been shown appalling.
the boys are clearly just never taught properly.
when we get a new coach please address the whole St George organisation. Top to bottom.

Will correct a little bit here. Sloan played a majority of his junior football as a winger. Even in the successful SG Ball team that won the oremiership, which also included Bud, Amone and Feagai's. In fact Stewart played the majority of that season at fullback and he can just make the reserve grade squad. Also, when Stewart wasn't fullback. I thinkbit was One of the Feagai's that filled in there.

But, in sayingvthat, I agree Tyrell is a winger, but who can play fullback?

Im a pinch i would have to look at Lomax and play Max/Matt F in his natural position at centre. However, Lomax just doesnt have the speed and agility of a modern day fullback, and it would further deteriorate his goal kicking imo.

so who else, surely not Mbye but the harsh reality is thats all we have

Jersey No 14

Juniors
Needless to say the importance of the fullback.
we have to go and buy one.
this season is slipping. You’ve got to able - even have the confidence to face someone coming at you. Again going to back to fundamentals.
He’s initial positioning just snowballs into failure.
I am a dragons patriot.
what’s most important- the dragons.
im not out to cut the guy. I don’t see personalities in the red v
I’m what’s important for us. - to get into the top 8
Currently we are going backwards
Addressing the fullback is a priority. put him in reserves. For a while.

possm

Coach
Yep agree but I’m happy to see Rava used in forwards but we need speed on the edges and none of our wingers or centres have this.

1. Stewart
2. Feagai
3. Suli
4. Lomax
5. Sloan

14. Ravalawa (impact bench)
I really rate Stewart but he is worse in defense than Sloan is. Let Sloan cut his teeth in the NRL five-eighth position and then, if good enough, move to fullback at a later time in his career.

Crush

Coach
Sloan is the only bloke who can create anything in attack and people want to send him back to reserve grade? Fair dinkum, did you not watch the Anzac Day game?
He’s a handful of games in, he’s a bit rocks or diamonds but at least he looks like he might be a first grader!
Fegai brothers, reserve graders.
Lomax, reserve grader.
Amone, reserve grader.
But you want to drop the kid that looks like he has something special back to reserve grade.
Bloody hell.

Jersey No 14

Juniors
Well - we’ve got the tigers next week.
not just the fullback needs to step up.
Thise guys have been showing some real purpose for a while now.
now they’ve tasted victory
They could well towel us up.
our best possible team gut their arses handed to them by a patch work dogs outfit.

Old Timer

Coach
If we are looking for something to blame try our compressed defence and the fact that every team knows they can go around us with speed. Sloan was the difference between losing ANZAC day by one point or being flogged. I hope everyone remembers this too.
It’s not about blaming anyone

It’s about identifying strengths and weakness’s which then leads to suitability for the specific job at hand

Como Connection

First Grade
Will correct a little bit here. Sloan played a majority of his junior football as a winger. Even in the successful SG Ball team that won the oremiership, which also included Bud, Amone and Feagai's. In fact Stewart played the majority of that season at fullback and he can just make the reserve grade squad. Also, when Stewart wasn't fullback. I thinkbit was One of the Feagai's that filled in there.

But, in sayingvthat, I agree Tyrell is a winger, but who can play fullback?

Im a pinch i would have to look at Lomax and play Max/Matt F in his natural position at centre. However, Lomax just doesnt have the speed and agility of a modern day fullback, and it would further deteriorate his goal kicking imo.

so who else, surely not Mbye but the harsh reality is thats all we have
How about Max!
CC