What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sloan

Lennyb

Juniors
I get it, Tyrell needs to learn how to tackle 1-on-1 effectively, but there's no need to make assumptions. Not sure if you know, but he was raised solely by his grandmother in a housing commission flat in a less than desirable area, with both parents in and out of jail. So I would posit that he doesn't 'know more about designer clothes, hats and shoes'. He's worked very hard to stay on the right track to get here, it's just about toughening him up and working with his build to make him an effective 1-on-1 defender; a trait which even the most experienced fullbacks in the NRL can struggle with.
Excuses

Lovemedragons

Juniors
I get it, Tyrell needs to learn how to tackle 1-on-1 effectively, but there's no need to make assumptions. Not sure if you know, but he was raised solely by his grandmother in a housing commission flat in a less than desirable area, with both parents in and out of jail. So I would posit that he doesn't 'know more about designer clothes, hats and shoes'. He's worked very hard to stay on the right track to get here, it's just about toughening him up and working with his build to make him an effective 1-on-1 defender; a trait which even the most experienced fullbacks in the NRL can struggle with.
On your last comment there coincidentally I was watching an old game between us and Parra from 1979 just yesterday on YouTube and I was amazed to see Brian Johnson let in 3 tries from missed one on one tackles. I never thought of him as a poor defender but it shows it’s a tough position to defend. i hope we persist with Sloan and I really hope he proves our faith in him for years to come. By the way, we beat Parra in that game and then went on to win the premiership.

Not do the tough stuff? Sorry, did you not see him get smashed quite a number of times from defusing bombs (which is something he definitely shied away from previously). Also, his defensive issues don't come from a lack of trying to do the tough stuff, they come more from strength issues and defensive technique. He's also running the ball back better into the line. you've openly admitted you don't like him, the bias is there already. Don't move the goalposts now just to suit your own (and many others) narrative in regards to Sloan.
I agree with you dribble and Yarn, but to the detractors, let's face it logically.

What options do we have 2024?

Realistically it's not like we win the comp replacing Sloan with Fegai or Lomax. - Seriously, think about it. As a club, what have we got to lose with Sloan fine tuning his game in first grade?

I hope Sloan doesn't play any other games at end of season but takes on the off-season plan Flanno had planned last year.

Bulks up, and we get a look at the results next season.

Currently, nothing to lose, everything to gain.

Crush

Coach
Imagine not being able to critique a player that missed 4 tackles that led to 4 tries. in ONE game that we won by 4.

Some of Dufty defenders were honest enough to admit his faults. Sloane is off limits for some. GTFO.
Yep, for whatever reason people get edgy when criticism is made towards Sloane (I’ll add the e because it shits dribbler)
I personally want him to fly, to be the next Billy Slater, but the games are adding up now. 53 NRL games and still looks very much like he’s getting used to first grade.
The time will come very shortly where we need a complete fullback. A confident fullback. An NRL ready fullback.
And I think it’s fine to be critical.

possm

Coach
I agree with you dribble and Yarn, but to the detractors, let's face it logically.

Realistically it's not like we win the comp replacing Sloan with Fegai or Lomax. - Seriously, think about it. As a club, what have we got to lose with Sloan fine tuning his game in first grade?

I hope Sloan doesn't play any other games at end of season but takes on the off-season plan Flanno had planned last year.

I'd like to see Sloan play at 6 in reserve grade for the rest of the season. In either position, he will need to improve his defense.

Feagai or Lomax to fullback fro the rest of the season.

Crush

Coach

I hear you and see your point but when do we cut our losses and say we need a more complete fullback?
Sloan is improving, I don’t disregard that but fullback is such an integral position, can we afford to spend years developing a kid who is likely never going to be a Reece Walsh, Kalyan Ponga, Ryan Papenhousen? All those blokes were absolutely flying at 22 years old.
In fact, Reece is younger than Sloan I think.
We say nothing to lose because we aren’t going to win a comp this year but what if we were heading into the finals which isn’t out of the question.
Would you rather be going into week one of the finals with Lomax at the back or Sloan?
Against say the Dogs.
Sure we won’t win the comp but to knock the dogs out of the finals? Give me Lomax please, I want a fullback with confidence, guts and determination.
Anyway, won’t happen but just throwing it around.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Plenty of people have had a shit up bringing.

He has a good shot at NRL. Time to repay the faith with some mongrel.
I think you aren't acknowledging the scale of the generational cycle that Tyrell is breaking. That aside, though, although you are right in saying he has a good shot at NRL, I think he's definitely trying to repay that faith by improving each week. Tyrell, unlike players like Bula and Kini, barely played any reserve grade compared to how much he should've and came into the NRL during COVID as well as having to deal with Hook's shit, but shows that he loves the club and is clearly quiet conscientious.

Dribble&Yarn

Juniors
I hear you and see your point but when do we cut our losses and say we need a more complete fullback?
Sloan is improving, I don’t disregard that but fullback is such an integral position, can we afford to spend years developing a kid who is likely never going to be a Reece Walsh, Kalyan Ponga, Ryan Papenhousen? All those blokes were absolutely flying at 22 years old.
In fact, Reece is younger than Sloan I think.
We say nothing to lose because we aren’t going to win a comp this year but what if we were heading into the finals which isn’t out of the question.
Would you rather be going into week one of the finals with Lomax at the back or Sloan?
Against say the Dogs.
Sure we won’t win the comp but to knock the dogs out of the finals? Give me Lomax please, I want a fullback with confidence, guts and determination.
Anyway, won’t happen but just throwing it around.
Who do you think is a realistic target for us that we can actually attain, and will be better than Sloan?