What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sloan

Anon

Bench

Tyrell Sloan sacked: Shane Flanagan reveals why he axed fullback​

Shane Flanagan has explained why he has decided to send Tyrell Sloan back to NSW Cup. Sloan scored a try in his first reserve grade game since 2022.

A relapse of defensive deficiencies has led to Shane Flanagan axing fullback Tyrell Sloan ahead of a crucial game against Penrith on Sunday.
Flanagan dropped Sloan to NSW Cup on Saturday after the 22-year-old fullback struggled off the ball during St George Illawarra’s last-start win against the Broncos.

“He has worked hard and he has done some really good things at the start of the season,” Flanagan said. “Over the last couple of weeks he has fallen away defensively. We have some big games so we are sending him back to reserve grade to get some practice.

“He will be back. He is a quality player.

“There are two sides to the ball and he has to work had on that.”

Mathew Feagai, who recently extended until the end of 2026, will get his first opportunity in his four year career to start an NRL game at fullback after impressing at NSW Cup.

Flanagan said Sloan understood his demotion.

“He is fine,” Flanagan said. “He knows it’s a journey. He knows what he has to work on. We’re taking some steps this year but there is a lot more to be taken.

“It’s defensively (for Sloan). I have to make sure the first grade team is a chance of winning and we have the best team out there. At the moment he needs a stint in reserve grade.”

Sloan scored a try in St George Illawarra’s 30-24 NSW Cup loss to Penrith where he played alongside regular first-graders Jack Bird and Mikaele Ravalawa. It was Sloan’s first reserve grade game since 2022.

The Dragons had the bye last weekend but just moments following the clash against Brisbane the dressing room cameras captured an animated Flanagan talking with Sloan who had a poor showing defensively.

“He was filthy with himself after that game,” Flanagan said. “He missed some tackles for some tries. He had an opportunity twice to make a tackle and stop a try and didn’t get it done. He knows that’s his job.

“The conversation was easy because he knows what he needs to work on.”

Flanagan has been working hard with his young No.1 who has unlimited potential in attack however his NRL career has been hindered by his defensive errors. Sloan had started every match this season at fullback after Flanagan used his first pre-season as head coach at the club trying to instil some more toughness to Sloan’s game.

The Dragons re-signed Sloan until the end of 2026 last month.

redv13

Bench

Tyrell Sloan sacked: Shane Flanagan reveals why he axed fullback​

Shane Flanagan has explained why he has decided to send Tyrell Sloan back to NSW Cup. Sloan scored a try in his first reserve grade game since 2022.

A relapse of defensive deficiencies has led to Shane Flanagan axing fullback Tyrell Sloan ahead of a crucial game against Penrith on Sunday.
Flanagan dropped Sloan to NSW Cup on Saturday after the 22-year-old fullback struggled off the ball during St George Illawarra’s last-start win against the Broncos.

“He has worked hard and he has done some really good things at the start of the season,” Flanagan said. “Over the last couple of weeks he has fallen away defensively. We have some big games so we are sending him back to reserve grade to get some practice.

“He will be back. He is a quality player.

“There are two sides to the ball and he has to work had on that.”

Mathew Feagai, who recently extended until the end of 2026, will get his first opportunity in his four year career to start an NRL game at fullback after impressing at NSW Cup.

Flanagan said Sloan understood his demotion.

“He is fine,” Flanagan said. “He knows it’s a journey. He knows what he has to work on. We’re taking some steps this year but there is a lot more to be taken.

“It’s defensively (for Sloan). I have to make sure the first grade team is a chance of winning and we have the best team out there. At the moment he needs a stint in reserve grade.”

Sloan scored a try in St George Illawarra’s 30-24 NSW Cup loss to Penrith where he played alongside regular first-graders Jack Bird and Mikaele Ravalawa. It was Sloan’s first reserve grade game since 2022.

The Dragons had the bye last weekend but just moments following the clash against Brisbane the dressing room cameras captured an animated Flanagan talking with Sloan who had a poor showing defensively.

“He was filthy with himself after that game,” Flanagan said. “He missed some tackles for some tries. He had an opportunity twice to make a tackle and stop a try and didn’t get it done. He knows that’s his job.

“The conversation was easy because he knows what he needs to work on.”

Flanagan has been working hard with his young No.1 who has unlimited potential in attack however his NRL career has been hindered by his defensive errors. Sloan had started every match this season at fullback after Flanagan used his first pre-season as head coach at the club trying to instil some more toughness to Sloan’s game.

The Dragons re-signed Sloan until the end of 2026 last month.
Exactly what a real coach does. These players have been out of form, suspended, injured etc etc. Flanno wants the best 17 available to win and as a supporter that’s all you want to see each week. Well done Flanno for making the tough calls unlike Griffin and the peanut before him

dungay dragon

Juniors
Don't be surprised if we see codey Ramsay back in the side as fullback next year, he's a really determined guy that wants to get back on the park with his mates

Exactly what a real coach does. These players have been out of form, suspended, injured etc etc. Flanno wants the best 17 available to win and as a supporter that’s all you want to see each week. Well done Flanno for making the tough calls unlike Griffin and the peanut before him
Good Luck to Matt Feagai tomorrow
Battled hard to get his spot back with some notable performances in NSW Cup esp at Fullback
Golden opportunity for him tomorrow

TheRev

First Grade
Good Luck to Matt Feagai tomorrow
Battled hard to get his spot back with some notable performances in NSW Cup esp at Fullback
Golden opportunity for him tomorrow
Be rly nice if he has a strong game.. at the very least save some tries...... its just hard because playing the full-strength premiers... chances are we cop a beating.. and no doubt there will be lots of "what if's" in the post-game analysis.

I'm assuming his shoulder is solid.. looked pretty painful when he did it.

dungay dragon

Juniors
Be rly nice if he has a strong game.. at the very least save some tries...... its just hard because playing the full-strength premiers... chances are we cop a beating.. and no doubt there will be what if's in there..

Thinking Flanno terrified to use Sloan in his current form against the best two Coaches and sides in the NRL in coming weeks ..Feagai has his moments but seems much more comfortable at 1 ....

since77

Juniors
I feel a bit sorry for Sloan but I can't really argue with the coach after that Broncos game.
I really hope he can come out the other side a better player. At the end of the day if he can't get that part of his game right he can't play in first grade. I've been backing him to come good but the Broncos game really rattled my confidence. Either way Flanno has drawn a line in the sand and I like it.

I do hope Tyrell stays away from social media where the inbred clowns are already celebrating him being dropped.

Mojo

Bench
I like the fact that Sloan has taken it well. I’ve always believed that Sloan’s humility will serve him well in the longer term.

BTW: Walsh was nowhere to be seen in defence in almost all of the tries scored against the Broncos today. He’s dynamic in attack but he’s non-existent in defence.

Sloan will make it as a well rounded footballer IMO.

Illusion

Bench
Be rly nice if he has a strong game.. at the very least save some tries...... its just hard because playing the full-strength premiers... chances are we cop a beating.. and no doubt there will be lots of "what if's" in the post-game analysis.

As usual we will look good for about 20 min , and as normal think maybe we can do this ...... But as soon as they get a couple of 6 agains and penalties, it's all over .......

Dea

Juniors
Kudos to Flanno for making decision on form - not rep or how much we are playing them. After today’s game Sloan has some more practice before his return to NRL.
I’ve not been a fan of Matt [or Max] but read good reports of his form in KOA cup. Hope he has a blinder, not only in defence but also in attack. remain concerned about our lack of speed in the backline but that is a roster issue for Flanno to fix.

steerlerbab

Juniors
I like the fact that Sloan has taken it well. I’ve always believed that Sloan’s humility will serve him well in the longer term.

BTW: Walsh was nowhere to be seen in defence in almost all of the tries scored against the Broncos today. He’s dynamic in attack but he’s non-existent in defence.

Sloan will make it as a well rounded footballer IMO.
Walsh is the pin up boy that will make NRL millions. Edwards owned him Second and Third SOO and showed the world Walsh's deficiencies in defence. And just today Bulldogs put 41 points on Broncos. Billy dropped Jayden Sua (good for us though). He should have dropped Walsh and gone with Ponga as starter. Anyway Walsh's deficiencies is not our concern. Lets not compare Sloan to Walsh. Flanno made a good call on Sloan to fix his defensive deficiencies at KOE.

justadragon

Bench
Slowly but surely Flanno is making the right calls, all I hope is that Sloan works hard to rectify his drama. He just cant be in NRL if he cant get his tackling right. He didnt have a real good game today in KOE either, lets hope he can get his act together, and yes I have been one of his supporters but how long can the team carry him.

Rod Coil

Juniors
Slowly but surely Flanno is making the right calls, all I hope is that Sloan works hard to rectify his drama. He just cant be in NRL if he cant get his tackling right. He didnt have a real good game today in KOE either, lets hope he can get his act together, and yes I have been one of his supporters but how long can the team carry him.
Amen to that brother.
I don’t see myself as a hater, but Sloan needed to be dropped after the last games ‘efforts’ in defence.

Dragon David

First Grade
Yes I am a fan of Tyrell but I knew that after the game against the Broncos and Sloan's poor defensive issues, Flanno could not risk him playing in the next few games and maybe the remaining games of this season in first grade because for us to make the finals we have to keep winning and great defence is the key.

Latest posts