What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smash Hunt !

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
ozbash said:
Anything less than the medi-vac is unacceptable.

I dont care if the kiwis get thrashed so long as this traitor is cleaned up and hopefully will never play again.

So ozbash you will be ecstatic if the roos win by a mile as long as hunt is seriously injured to the point he will never play again? Maybe he will get his neck broken or something equally debillitating. That would put a huge grin on your face I'm sure.

I gather you will also be cheering along with your kiwi mates (only salivor has objected to your post) as he is carried off the field on the 'medivac' ?

sunny

http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,20281,19004201-5001023,00.html

A bunch of hypocrites

By DEAN RITCHIE

May 03, 2006

TEST coach Ricky Stuart and his angry players last night labelled New Zealand as hypocrites after it was revealed five members of the Kiwis' Test squad were born in Australia.

The Australians were outraged that New Zealand players and coach Brian McClennan fired barbs at young fullback Karmichael Hunt, who accepted a Kangaroos jumper despite being Kiwi-born.

Aussie born ... Pritchard, Cayless, Cayless, Webb and Webster.

Today, The Daily Telegraph can reveal that Frank Pritchard was born in Darlinghurst, Brent Webb in Cairns, Jake Webster in Melbourne and Jason and Nathan Cayless in western Sydney.

Pritchard and Webster were particularly vocal in their criticism of Hunt's decision.

"I thought New Zealanders were smarter than that," said Kangaroos coach Stuart.

"The New Zealanders came out and bagged Karmichael, but five of their players were born right here in Australia.

"I think it smells of hypocrisy.

"I see Frank Pritchard was fairly heavy on Karmichael this week. I understand Frank was born in Darlinghurst, in the centre of Sydney. Jake Webster also had a shot. He was born in Melbourne.

"Karmichael took the toughest road possible to play at Test level. He could quite easily have taken the softer option and played for New Zealand, but he stood by his convictions and for that I admire him.

"Karmichael Hunt deserves all the reawrds that come his way. He'll be great for us on Friday night," added Stuart.

Kangaroos players have been fired up by New Zealand's criticism of Hunt.

"You don't hear Aussies bagging off at those blokes (born here representing New Zealand) for their decisions," said forward Willie Mason.

"You don't see us crying and whinging about them pledging their allegiance – they think they're Kiwis, Karmichael thinks he's an Aussie."

Mark O'Meley added: "Karmichael has made a decision based on where he started his footy and where he wants to be.

"It's his decision, not anyone elses.

"It's like the Australians who go over there and play for New Zealand. Blokes like Webb and Webster.

"We don't give them any stick, so why should Karmichael have to cop this?"

O'Meley said the Kangaroos were determined to protect Hunt, 19, on the field.

"We play as a team and a unit," O'Meley said.

"We all look after each other and it won't be any different on Friday night."

Winger Timana Tahu said: "He's entitled to make his own decision."

And skipper Darren Lockyer said: "If Karmichael feels he's Australian and he wants to play for Australia, then that's his decision.

"You've got to look at the same scenario as Brent Webb for the Kiwis as well."

Nathan Cayless, the Parramatta captain, was named in the New Zealand squad but was yesterday overlooked for a spot in the Kiwis' final 17-man squad.

Despite New Zealand's Tri-Nations success last year, the Australians will start $1.20 favourites at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night with the Kiwis at $4.10 on TAB Sportsbet.

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!

Thomas said:
Ahhh okay....gotcha.

I'll throw out my allegiance to Australia (y'know, coz I was born here) and start following Scotland in everything...because my Mum has Scottish heritage.

My thoughts: You are born in a country....you represent that country unless you are a citizen of another country.

You Kiwis are wanting to have your cake and eat it too. On your team are people who were born in Australia, live in Australia but are representing NZ.

In the Aussie team there is a player who was born in NZ but now lives and works in Australia and is representing Australia.

Can't you see the irony in your posts?????? :?

if you don't know about roots then i pity you.

hypothecally you parents move to new zealand before you are born and have you here in nz, they still follow aussie in everything does that mean you can't represent aussie. of course you can.

so you are saying that joe gaulavo and tony puletuas kids can't play for new zealand since they was born in aussie.

hutch said:
hmm heritage hey. well in that case ruben wiki, sonny bill, faalogo, tame tupou, vagana, faimu and pritchard better not play for new zealand as they are of samoan heritage. and louis anderson better wait until the tongan tour of england and france at the end of the year, because hey, that is his heritage.

and they are free to play for them arn't they, they either play for the country they are born in or come from.

p.s. if we are going way back far aussie and new zealand was unpopulated way back.

Thomas

First Grade
douglasallen91 said:
if you don't know about roots then i pity you.

hypothecally you parents move to new zealand before you are born and have you here in nz, they still follow aussie in everything does that mean you can't represent aussie. of course you can.

so you are saying that joe gaulavo and tony puletuas kids can't play for new zealand since they was born in aussie.

No, you misunderstand me. I am saying you can represent whovever you want if you satisfy the requirements of selection...being a resident of that country or having parents from that country. It doesn't bother me who you want to represent. f**k, if I had NZ blood in me (and I thank God every day I don't) and I lived in Australia, I'd represent NZ.

What I am getting at is that its a bit rich for you kiwis to be bagging Hunt for choosing Australia (even though he's been here since he was 10) when you have Webb playing for you (on residency) and you have Australian born players playing in your team.

Lets put it this way. What would you say if Hunt was born in Australia and moved to NZ when he was 10 and decided to play for NZ because he's lived in NZ for nearly 10 years and is a resident of the country? Not much, I suppose.

I don't have an issue with Aussie born players playing for NZ. They can play for whoever they want. For some of them its probably the only way they'd play in a Test, so good on them.

JJ

Immortal
douglasallen91 said:
and they are free to play for them arn't they, they either play for the country they are born in or come from.

p.s. if we are going way back far aussie and new zealand was unpopulated way back.

Aust has been populated for about as long as anyone... 10's of thousands of years

Thomas said:
f**k, if I had NZ blood in me (and I thank God every day I don't) and I lived in Australia, I'd represent NZ.

and you have Australian born players playing in your team.

think about this
you have to live in nz for 3 years to qualify, for aussie their is no time limit you just have to play league at a high level in aussie first (ie. benji, asotasi and sonny bill) queensland told nz officals to not and try and convert benji as he is a queenslander when benji came into first grade.

and for your points above that is the same situation, cayless and pritchard especially have nz blood in them. in cayless its definately 100% kiwi unsure in pritchard i think its 50% kiwi and 50% islander or some mix.

if cayless bros and pritchard wanted to play for aussie then good on them they was born in aussie (just like thurston, tahu, clinton and covell (please don't let him play for us). their situation and hunt is way different

and webb wouldn't have been a kiwi it was a revenge tactic and i would rather have webb talent wise (he can tackle and catch a ball).

Meanie

Juniors
I found this part of this article rather interesting http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,19006899-2722,00.html

"Daniel was in charge of the national team as well at that stage and New Zealand was a little light on for fullbacks and he just came up and asked if I knew I would be eligible for New Zealand," Webb said.
"I didn't really know how to take it at first. I mean, I still considered myself an Aussie at that stage. But I went back and had a really good think about the opportunity that I might have to play international football. Then I spoke to my family about it. I spoke to them a lot and they gave me their full support, which is what sealed it for me. "I made my decision and it's one of the best calls I have ever made. It has been an incredible experience to be part of the New Zealand team and it really feels like home for me now."

Don't see Hunt having made any "I still consider myself a Kiwi" comments.

Prodigiousman

Juniors
Posted this in a less popular thread but There is a line in the following that completely puts the Hunt and Webb situations on the same level.

People keep complaining that Hunt before his selection resisted Kiwi overtures to play for New Zealand over and over again in favour of Qld and Aust - then is the following not a worse example of being a 'traitor' involving Webb?

http://au.news.yahoo.com/040324/2/o9q2.html - April 2004

Meanwhile, it emerged that Brisbane's Karmichael Hunt wasn't the only player to turn his back on New Zealand, with NZRL chairman Selwyn Pearson confirming he had approached another NRL fullback to find out whether he was available for Friday night's game at EnergyAustralia Stadium.

It's understood that player was Brent Webb, who like Hunt stated his desire to play State of Origin football for Queensland.

Pearson was ropeable, calling on the ARL to allow New Zealanders to play in the Origin series.

"What I am saying is it's undermining the international program," Pearson said.

"I could ring up 100 blokes and they could be eligible for the Kiwis and State of Origin. Why should State of Origin stop them playing for the Kiwis?"

I think the big underlying issue is Hunt may become 50 times the player Webb will ever be and that's why there's such a blowup.

And let's be honest - no one shed a tear when Webb decided to play for NZ - because simply put he was not ever going to be a great player...

everyone knows Hunt could be - and that's the issue.

He is a HUGE loss to the future of New Zealand at Test level - can't deny that - but the odds are very good another gun youngster will come through the system (most likely through an Australian club's junior system) in the next few years so hopefully that new kid will help everyone get over this.

doogiehowser_md

Juniors
Heres the kiwis fax number.
0061 7 55921519 (30 April - 3 May)
0061 7 33216895 (4May onwards)

Lets send them faxes of support to smash Hunt!

doogiehowser_md

Juniors
Heres the kiwis fax number.
0061 7 55921519 (30 April - 3 May)
0061 7 33216895 (4May onwards)

Lets send them faxes of support to smash Hunt!

Iafeta

Referee
Meanie said:
I found this part of this article rather interesting http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,19006899-2722,00.html

Don't see Hunt having made any "I still consider myself a Kiwi" comments.

I think most Kiwis, and its definitely the case for me, would rather we didn't select Brent Webb.

No disrespect, he seems a great bloke, but he's not a Kiwi, in my opinion. You either need to be born there, or have Kiwi parentage, or have lived there for a large amount of years to be considered a Kiwi, in my opinion of course.

I think most rational Kiwis are more floored at the whole protocol and rules surrounding international allegiance. They're very airy fairy, if they exist at all.

Iafeta

Referee
sunny said:
http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,20281,19004201-5001023,00.html

A bunch of hypocrites

By DEAN RITCHIE

May 03, 2006

TEST coach Ricky Stuart and his angry players last night labelled New Zealand as hypocrites after it was revealed five members of the Kiwis' Test squad were born in Australia.

The Australians were outraged that New Zealand players and coach Brian McClennan fired barbs at young fullback Karmichael Hunt, who accepted a Kangaroos jumper despite being Kiwi-born.

Aussie born ... Pritchard, Cayless, Cayless, Webb and Webster.

Today, The Daily Telegraph can reveal that Frank Pritchard was born in Darlinghurst, Brent Webb in Cairns, Jake Webster in Melbourne and Jason and Nathan Cayless in western Sydney.

Pritchard and Webster were particularly vocal in their criticism of Hunt's decision.

"I thought New Zealanders were smarter than that," said Kangaroos coach Stuart.

"The New Zealanders came out and bagged Karmichael, but five of their players were born right here in Australia.

"I think it smells of hypocrisy.

"I see Frank Pritchard was fairly heavy on Karmichael this week. I understand Frank was born in Darlinghurst, in the centre of Sydney. Jake Webster also had a shot. He was born in Melbourne.

"Karmichael took the toughest road possible to play at Test level. He could quite easily have taken the softer option and played for New Zealand, but he stood by his convictions and for that I admire him.

"Karmichael Hunt deserves all the reawrds that come his way. He'll be great for us on Friday night," added Stuart.

Kangaroos players have been fired up by New Zealand's criticism of Hunt.

"You don't hear Aussies bagging off at those blokes (born here representing New Zealand) for their decisions," said forward Willie Mason.

"You don't see us crying and whinging about them pledging their allegiance – they think they're Kiwis, Karmichael thinks he's an Aussie."

Mark O'Meley added: "Karmichael has made a decision based on where he started his footy and where he wants to be.

"It's his decision, not anyone elses.

"It's like the Australians who go over there and play for New Zealand. Blokes like Webb and Webster.

"We don't give them any stick, so why should Karmichael have to cop this?"

O'Meley said the Kangaroos were determined to protect Hunt, 19, on the field.

"We play as a team and a unit," O'Meley said.

"We all look after each other and it won't be any different on Friday night."

Winger Timana Tahu said: "He's entitled to make his own decision."

And skipper Darren Lockyer said: "If Karmichael feels he's Australian and he wants to play for Australia, then that's his decision.

"You've got to look at the same scenario as Brent Webb for the Kiwis as well."

Nathan Cayless, the Parramatta captain, was named in the New Zealand squad but was yesterday overlooked for a spot in the Kiwis' final 17-man squad.

Despite New Zealand's Tri-Nations success last year, the Australians will start $1.20 favourites at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night with the Kiwis at $4.10 on TAB Sportsbet.

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!

Geesh, that line right there - McClennan could use that as serious motivation.

It sounds like Stuart has a lack of respect in the Kiwi opposition, ala the way the selectors selected a second string team to combat them in the Tri Nations last year.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Iafeta said:
Geesh, that line right there - McClennan could use that as serious motivation.

It sounds like Stuart has a lack of respect in the Kiwi opposition, ala the way the selectors selected a second string team to combat them in the Tri Nations last year.
:lol:

Stuart was obviously pointing out that had Hunt decided to take up the kiwi offer he would have avoided all the flack from you guys. You have interpreted it diferently which is no great surprise.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
ozbash said:
Anything less than the medi-vac is unacceptable.

I dont care if the kiwis get thrashed so long as this traitor is cleaned up and hopefully will never play again.

Would it make your day to see his career ended by a malciously inflicted injury ozb? Maybe reduced to washing dishes at some inner city chew and spew. Or sleeping on a park bench with only yesterdays headlines to keep him warm. Is that what you want ozb? Would that bring a smile to your twisted face? You are a cruel person ozb.

gunnamatta bay said:
:lol:

Stuart was obviously pointing out that had Hunt decided to take up the kiwi offer he would have avoided all the flack from you guys. You have interpreted it diferently which is no great surprise.

that quote to me means playing for aussie is harder than the kiwis not what u said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts