What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMH: Eels' new halves pairing set to fix an old weakness

StEely Matt

Juniors
Eels' new halves pairing set to fix an old weakness

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...et-to-fix-an-old-weakness-20111124-1nx0x.html

IS THIS the pair that will finally lead Parramatta towards the light at the end of the tunnel?
A curse has haunted the club's halves for the past two decades but in recruits Chris Sandow and Ben Roberts, Eels fans have renewed hope that their search for a quality pairing is finally over.
Under three coaches over the past four years, Parramatta have used 20 different halves combinations and 14 different playmakers.
Advertisement: Story continues below
The weight of expectation on the shoulders of Sandow and Roberts is heavy enough to bring down even the most resilient of combatants, but the pair insist the pressure of ending the club's halves drought is far from a burden. ''It's excitement more than pressure, to be honest,'' Sandow told the Herald. ''The halves is a struggle Parramatta have had here for a few years. But I think if me and Benny can just start the year playing good, consistent footy, everything else around us will fall into place.''
So how does a bloke who built a reputation at South Sydney for producing rocks or diamonds join forces with a Kiwi international turned NSW Cup five-eighth to transform the fortunes of the NRL's biggest underachievers of the past decade?
It's probably a question better saved for this time next year.
For now, Roberts just wants to get back in the top grade after a season to forget at Canterbury, where he ended the year in the NSW Cup with just eight NRL appearances to his name.
Despite describing the axing from the Bulldogs as a major setback, Roberts said there was little point kicking stones and was hell-bent on resurrecting his career at the Eels.
''It was a good wake-up call,'' he said. ''If anything, I looked at it as a positive and I believe it's made me a better person off the field just as much as on the field.
''One thing I've learnt is not to take things for granted and I'm going to make sure I do everything I can to take make the most of it.
''Because of my experiences, I'm never going to feel like I have cemented my spot, which is always going to keep me on my toes.''
Coach Stephen Kearney returned to training duties on Wednesday after his unsuccessful Four Nations campaign with New Zealand and, while he hasn't announced any plans for next year, it's almost guaranteed Roberts will wear the No.6 jersey outside Sandow.
The former South Sydney halfback has backed Roberts to start the year at five-eighth and believes the pair have already started to develop a bond off the field that will hold them in good stead when the new season rolls around in March.
For his part, Roberts is excited about the prospect of playing outside Sandow and labelled his new teammate as one of the main reasons he decided to sign with the Eels.
''Obviously, with Chrissy being one of the best halfbacks … in the NRL last year, for myself personally, it was a decision that I made based on that,'' Roberts said. ''Getting the opportunity to play with a great player like him and at a club like Parramatta, I think it's good times ahead.''
Parramatta won't get into intense ball work until after Christmas but Sandow already has a clear message for Eels fans.
''They can expect some exciting football,'' the 22-year-old said. ''Parra is a team that is capable of throwing the footy around, and with me, Jarryd [Hayne] and Benny here there is definitely some exciting footy to be played.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ld-weakness-20111124-1nx0x.html#ixzz1eej60PUM

TheRam

Coach
Dare I say, the new Sterlo and Kenny.

Yeah right, dare I say by the time they both retire, we will have another 4 premierships celebrated and both be seasoned internationals and considered to be two of the best players to have ever laced on a boot nudging for immortal status.

Oh and Sandow will be a revered television commentator in retirement and Roberts a...well...err...let us just say a man of many talents.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
14 different guys in the halves in 3 yrs :crazy: No wonder the team struggled to find consistency.

born an eel

Bench
nice to see the media being used for good not evil for a change

Just happens that memberships are open to the general public from monday. Lets keep the good vibe going.