What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMH: Great Britain? Sorry, Brian, your lot are average at best

ali

Bench
I think Gould was bashed up by a pom as a child. No matter what they do, he never has anything positive to say. Anyone who has watched 9's coverage of the tri nations over the last few years would agree with this.

JJ

Immortal
eels_fan_01 said:
To say he would buy Gleeson after hes preformance on Saturday, that is incredible to say the least.

:lol: agreed - Gleeson and Carney were both laughable - and have such big wraps... how many points did they bomb each, were they in a personal competition?

I have never understood the Carney-mania :sarcasm:

babyg

Juniors
I enjoyed watching the poms throw the ball around. It is their attention to detail that brings them down. You'd think that the aussie players would be more dominant in the esl if it wasn't up to scratch.

I'm going on a limb and pick GB to win next weeks game. Not a fan of Stuart's tactics.

screeny

Bench
Martli said:
That's funny when you consider that two of the Kiwis standout players so far (Hape and Tony) both play in the ESL...

But the Kiwis lost to AUstralia largely thanks to the drop in concentration of one of those players, Hape, when he mis-defended against Inglis.

As a single incident you couldn't pick a more appropriate one to demonstrate exactly what Gould's talking about: because SL lacks intensity, lapses in concentration become inherent in the players as they are not put under the same amount of pressure forthe same length of time as in the NRL.

Red Bear

Referee
hey hutch, is your 17 aussies representing australia thing meant to be a go at the kiwi's? Cos cutie is a kiwi, didnt come here till he was 13, and mason was also born in NZ.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
I actually thought GB did pretty well on Saturday and the scoreboard reflects this. It was after all, only a 4 point victory, granted the Kiwi's did go to sleep in the last 20 minutes, but there were plenty of positive points for the Poms. Their ball movement overall looked pretty good, if not reminiscent of the Broncos from 2005, with the cut out pass along the rolling attack line. I almost expected Karmichael Hunt to appear on the end of one of those passes, it was that familiar.

The completion and execution once they got close to the Kiwi line is what really let them down. I lost count of the number of times they dominantly moved the ball within 10m and then fell apart in attack. I think they really needed some straight runners that close to the line, rather than going wide on the 1st and 2nd tackles and fluffing it. If Noble can shape up their attack closer to the line they might just prove a difficult task for us come Saturday night. If they use the same gameplan and attacking plays they did against the Kiwis, I would hazzard to say they may not even cross the Aussie tryline.

nqboy

First Grade
I thought Gould got it right. The ESL is improving slowly and the poms have some world class players but the number of NRL rejects who are stars over there is laughable. Their record in the WCC allows them bragging rights but very few pommie clubs would be competitive in the NRL.

Until coaching structures are overhauled and as long as promising junior talent is shut out by the torrent of average Anzacs, GB will continue to struggle long term.

ledzep

Bench
I know there's the Kolpak and EU laws and stuff, but can't the RFL just say, you wanna play in our league, you have to abide by our rules, and make it so there's a certain number of GB-eligible players in each team's main squad?

gottabegood

Juniors
ShadesOfTheSun said:
Gould has never been a huge supporter of the international game - why should he be trying to promote it? What interest would he have in ensuring the ESL was a stronger competition? As much as I enjoy international rugby league, the tendency of supporters to demonise anyone who criticises or denigrates it perplexes me.

So....umm soccer has no benefit from having many strong nations......
How popular would cricket be if the aussies were the only superpower, hell look at the interest of the current ashes just because we finally have a strong Englidsh side. Basically without going to far into this and not wanting to be too hard on you and other people who think along the same lines, just wake up please.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
i) When he said he'd pick Gleeson and O'Loughlin, he didn't say on the back of Saturday's performance, he says he watches SL every week, and I'm sure that;s the basis for his selection. He's better at spotting elite talent than anyone on this board.

ii) He loves the international game, his problem is that England are letting everyone down by being sh*t, and staying sh*t.

People say he's got a grudge because England always used to beat Australia when he was a kid??

England has had 1 series victory and 1 world cup since 1959.. There's no one left alive to remember when England/GB were dominant.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Great Britain shat on Australia for 50 years, did they have this arrogant attitude to us , no, on the other hand we learnt from them.
International league is a gold mine for the game if handled well, yet the media seems intent on keeping our game in it's place. I can already see the attacks from them during the world cup.
Why don't we do what AFL and union do and buy favourable comment from them?

Kurt Angle

First Grade
How would you know ?

The were dominant between 1920 and 1950... people around then now have alzheimers and can't remember.

But even now, british people are inferior to Australians in most facets of human endeavour and still can't get over the superiority complex over 'colonials'.

Sucks to be them.

International RL could be a goldmine, there's just player team letting the entire team down.. and that's GB.

Misty Bee

First Grade
LeagueXIII said:
Great Britain shat on Australia for 50 years, did they have this arrogant attitude to us , no, ...
They would have been unbrearably snooty about it!!!!

BTW Wayne Bennet remembers that era well. He was running the line at Swinton in 1930. He claimed Chimpy dropped the ball, and because he was a NS Welshman.......

PRIDEOFLIONS

Juniors
Gould is not an Anylist..hes an Analist. So up his own arse and the arses of every smug dumb Aussie. (note I am not including the intelligent Aussies)

This man predicted a 3-0 ashes win to Aus in 2005 when most intelligent observers thought it too close to call.

GB and especially Gleeson and Carney were poor in attack and out of ideas in the last 10 metres and in terms of skill and speed Australia will probably be too much for them...but I think it will be very close.

The Kiwis who were too physical for the Aussies last week until they ran out of gas had the sh*t beaten out of them by the GB gang tackling. GB will front up no probs to the Ausssies and I think outmuscle them but players like Inglis may make the difference.

Any of the GB squad would make it in NRL, but NRL is definately a lot stronger in depth and faster paced in attack.

Saints will win the world club challenge....but if Salford played say the Sharks..I would excpect a 12-18 point margin as a minimum for the Sharks

WJ

Juniors
Kurt Angle said:

But even now, british people are inferior to Australians in most facets of human endeavour and still can't get over the superiority complex over 'colonials'.

Sucks to be them.

Bwahahahahahahahaha:lol:

Pass me the sick bucket!

Kurt Angle

First Grade
PRIDEOFLIONS said:
This man predicted a 3-0 ashes win to Aus in 2005 when most intelligent observers thought it too close to call.

Phil Gould was commenting on the cricket ??

GB and especially Gleeson and Carney were poor in attack and out of ideas in the last 10 metres and in terms of skill and speed Australia will probably be too much for them...but I think it will be very close.

And the point is what I mentioned before.. he didn't say "On the basis of that game, I'd pick Carney and Gleeson." He's actually rated 13 players with some degree of individual ability. He's faulting the entire system of poor coaches who instill poor habits and coach poor tactics.

Close ?? GB will be lucky to get within 30.

The Kiwis who were too physical for the Aussies last week until they ran out of gas had the sh*t beaten out of them by the GB gang tackling.

This might explain why everyone loses to Australia.

NZ fans got all excited about kidwell concussing Mason.. depsite being on the losing end of a 30-12 scoreline.

You lot then banter one about belting the Kiwis despite losing.

RL isn't about how much pain you inflict, it's about the scoreboard.

GB will front up no probs to the Ausssies and I think outmuscle them but players like Inglis may make the difference.

And Lockyer, and Hornby and Gasnier, Hodges, Hunt, King. Anyone wearing a green jersey will trouble GB.

Any of the GB squad would make it in NRL, but NRL is definately a lot stronger in depth and faster paced in attack.

Very few of the GB team would make a top 8 side.

Latest posts