What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMH: Grothe in Origin frame

Bazal

Post Whore
B-Tron 3000 said:
Sorry, I should have let you say Grothe so I could pick apart your answer.

Are you going to sit there and confidently tell me that Grothe would have snuffed out those chances that Hazem did?

I doubt there's a Parra fan out there that is confident Eric could do that.

Also, Grothe can't kick goals.

Yes, I am. Grothe may have issues turning to chase kicks, but his up and in defence is up there with the best. Just ask the blokes he steamrolls year to year

B-Tron 3000 said:
I have no favouritism for Hazem over anyone else, but Yes, this is stupid. How is it possible that we are still arguing about a guy who nearly everyone else is claiming had a great game. Could it be because this is the Parra forum and everyone wanted Grothe to get a run?

Or could it be that Grothe is the best winger for the job? Oh, of course not, we're all biased. As are the non Parra fans who said the same thing in the SOO Forum. Yup, all biased :roll: Never mind the fact that Grothe has been there, done that, and put QLDers on their arse before, that has absolutely nothing to do with it :roll:

B-Tron 3000 said:
Well, maybe you should read the f**king thread properly to get a grasp of what we are actually talking about.

Errr....choosing a state of origin winger? Unless Eric Grothe has suddenly put on 20 kgs of lard, I'm pretty sure he fits the criteria...you know, being a winger who has played there and all

B-Tron 3000 said:
btw, you talk about State of Origin being "The best players showcasing their brilliance". Doesn't Hazem's ability to kick pressure goals from the sideline count as something worth watching?.

No...not when that's all he offers

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Bazal said:
Yes, I am. Grothe may have issues turning to chase kicks, but his up and in defence is up there with the best. Just ask the blokes he steamrolls year to year
What about asking all the blokes that he misses when he makes a mistake about when to try and steamroll people?

Seriously, he just doesn't make good decisions a lot of the time.

Or could it be that Grothe is the best winger for the job? Oh, of course not, we're all biased. As are the non Parra fans who said the same thing in the SOO Forum. Yup, all biased :roll: Never mind the fact that Grothe has been there, done that, and put QLDers on their arse before, that has absolutely nothing to do with it :roll:
Fair enough. Anyone still saying Grothe should have been picked is either one-eyed, stubborn, or stupid. NSW won, El Masri played great. How is it possible that people are still carrying on about it?

I bet these are the same people who thought it was a good idea to put Tahu and Grothe on one side together in Origin. Any Parra fan who actually watches the game knew that was an accident waiting to happen in defence. And so it proved.

Errr....choosing a state of origin winger? Unless Eric Grothe has suddenly put on 20 kgs of lard, I'm pretty sure he fits the criteria...you know, being a winger who has played there and all
You must have missed the bit where we needed a goalkicker. Or are you another one who wanted Kimmorley to take the shots for goal?

No...not when that's all he offers
If you honestly think Hazem has one string to his bow then your opinion, quite frankly, is null and void as far as I'm concerned because you obviously don't understand football.

I just watched the game again. Unfortunately I fell asleep, but what from what I did see I'll say this:

I probably overplayed Hazem's defence. He did make good reads, but not all of them were as important as I thought (though I did fall alseep for the second half when I think the important ones came about).

However, I underestimated how well he brought the ball back from kicks. The first time he really did anything was bringing a ball back, he threw a great pass to King who took off down the sideline. Guess where we ended up at the end of that set? Jarryd Hayne scoring in the corner.

Next kick return the ball hit the post (where Stuart was I have no idea), so Hazem was behind the 8-ball. He used King by throwing a dummy to him, opening up a bit of space and making more metres than expected. He's a wiley, tricky customer that is soooo underrated it's not funny.

Bazal

Post Whore
B-Tron 3000 said:
What about asking all the blokes that he misses when he makes a mistake about when to try and steamroll people?

Seriously, he just doesn't make good decisions a lot of the time.

LOL. So El Masri flies in and it's a good decision, Grothe does the same thing and it's rubbish. El Masri misses just as many, if not more tackles when he pushes up.

B-Tron 3000 said:
Fair enough. Anyone still saying Grothe should have been picked is either one-eyed, stubborn, or stupid,

I'm sorry, I was unaware it was considered stupid to want the best possible players representing your state. Next time I'll advocate the selection of Jason Moodie...

B-Tron 3000 said:
You must have missed the bit where we needed a goalkicker. Or are you another one who wanted Kimmorley to take the shots for goal?

We didn't need a kicker, we had three. They aren't El Masri but QLD did all right with Cam Smith and Thurston before JT learnt to kick.

B-Tron 3000 said:
If you honestly think Hazem has one string to his bow then your opinion, quite frankly, is null and void as far as I'm concerned because you obviously don't understand football.

That's ok, because as far as I'm concerned you have the mental capacity of a fig tree. I understand footy, what I don't understand is the way a guy who put in an average performance is being talked up as though he won the match himself.

B-Tron 3000 said:
However, I underestimated how well he brought the ball back from kicks. The first time he really did anything was bringing a ball back, he threw a great pass to King who took off down the sideline.

Grothe returns the ball better than most players in the game. Jarryds returns made Hazem look pedestrian. Actually Luke Covell makes Hazem look pedestrian, imagine those kick returns made by someone with speed.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Bazal said:
LOL. So El Masri flies in and it's a good decision, Grothe does the same thing and it's rubbish. El Masri misses just as many, if not more tackles when he pushes up.
Grothe gets caught in no-mans land waaaay more than Hazem. Argue the toss if you like.

I'm sorry, I was unaware it was considered stupid to want the best possible players representing your state. Next time I'll advocate the selection of Jason Moodie...
Before the game I understood the argument, even though I thought it silly and neglecting the need for a good goalkicker. After the game it's a ridiculous argument.

We didn't need a kicker, we had three.
Name them.

They aren't El Masri but QLD did all right with Cam Smith and Thurston before JT learnt to kick.
No, they didn't. They lost series. And even on Wednesday they could have been 6-6 if Thurston could kick as well as Hazem. 6-6 changes the game in sooo many ways. Or it could even have been 4-6.

That's ok, because as far as I'm concerned you have the mental capacity of a fig tree. I understand footy, what I don't understand is the way a guy who put in an average performance is being talked up as though he won the match himself.
I never said he won the match. He did what he needed to do, and played a big part in us winning the match.

What I don't understand is how, after the game, someone can claim that Eric Grothe Jnr - a destructive player who is never-the-less known for being erratic - should have been there. It's totally ridiculous.

Grothe returns the ball better than most players in the game. Jarryds returns made Hazem look pedestrian. Actually Luke Covell makes Hazem look pedestrian, imagine those kick returns made by someone with speed.
Did you even read what I wrote. I know, and have admitted that Eric returns the ball better than most, but Hazem's efforts the other night were underrated. That's all.

FFS, how are we to know what would have happened had Eric played? He might have tried one of his offloads and we lose the ball, they get it and score on the next set. He might have scored 2 tries. We won't ever know, and that's why it's stupid to argue that El Masri shouldn't have been there.

Bazal

Post Whore
B-Tron 3000 said:
Before the game I understood the argument, even though I thought it silly and neglecting the need for a good goalkicker. After the game it's a ridiculous argument.

:lol: That's a really intelligent statement. The same argument is understandable yet stupid? The argument hasn't changed. El Masri was not the best man for the job.

B-Tron 3000 said:
Name them.

Brett Kimmorley, Jarryd Hayne and Kurt Gidley

B-Tron 3000 said:
No, they didn't. They lost series.

And yesterdays match was a dead rubber cos we had a chance of winning the series?

B-Tron 3000 said:
What I don't understand is how, after the game, someone can claim that Eric Grothe Jnr - a destructive player who is never-the-less known for being erratic - should have been there. It's totally ridiculous.

Let me spell it out monosyllabically for you, as you seem to have difficulty grasping the simplest of concepts. Eric Grothe was the best man for the wing spot and he was not picked. El Masri was not the best man for the wing spot.

B-Tron 3000 said:
We won't ever know, and that's why it's stupid to argue that El Masri shouldn't have been there.

But you just said you could understand the argument? Therefore you agree Grothe was worthy of being there...it's not a stupid argument because El Masri was not the best man for the job in the first place, regardless of how he played (and that was not all that well either).

The Colonel

Immortal
B-Tron 3000 said:

And that is less stupid than my argument about him being a one game wonder? :lol:

B Tron 3000 said:
Fair enough. Anyone still saying Grothe should have been picked is either one-eyed, stubborn, or stupid. NSW won, El Masri played great. How is it possible that people are still carrying on about it?

Saying Grothe should have been picked is neither one-eyed, stubborn, or stupid.You yourself understood the argument but now you don't? Its about picking the best of the best. Not the rest of who is left....

El Masri did the job he was selected to do - kicking goals and scored a try even Jason Moodie would have scored. Bird, Hayne and Gallen played great......

fish eel said:
that would mean, in the circumstances, he was the best man for the job, and it wasnt a token ;-) :lol:

Last winger left according to some but they could have picked another centre..... ;-)

Eelementary

Post Whore
Hazem played for Lebanon. Lebanon. And he was still allowed to represent NSW. That alone makes eveyrhting a joke in my eyes and I will never have respect for rep footy again. Same with that Kiwi K. Hunt playing for Australia and Queensland. And Carroll. It's a joke.

caylo

Bench
The biggest joke is that Inglus is playing for QLD, but was born in NSW. Grothe has been in great form of late and should have been picked for game 2, Lyon and King should have got the chop, and bring in someone with some attacking capabilities. Collis, Benny Smith, Even Kurt in the centres would have been better than Lyon. Anaster should have also been dropped after game one, we needed more creativity, even in game 3 we didn't covert our chances. Everyone blamed the forwards for game one loss, and in game two our forwards completely dominated and we still lost. Farah should have been there off the bench in game two. We lost the series and it wasn't because of who was picked on the wing, it was more to do with the men inside them. That still does not change the fact though that Eric is ten times the winger Hasim will ever be.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Bazal said:
:lol: That's a really intelligent statement. The same argument is understandable yet stupid?
Yeah, like you.
I understand what you are trying to say, but it's stupid.:p

Mate, I said I understood the argument but disagreed with it. I said the same thing then that I am saying now - calls for Grothe to be picked totally neglected the importance of goalkicking. (I'll go more into Grothe's abilities later)

The reason it's a totally ridiculous argument now is because it was proven on Wednesday that El Masri was the man for the job. Sometimes after the event people need to man up and admit things turned out differently to how they thought they would. The assertion that El Masri was average is preposterous.

The argument hasn't changed. El Masri was not the best man for the job.
Hmmmm, interesting. You keep saying this yet I haven't read anything on here that suggests HOW someone else would have made more impact on the game, except the simplistic notion that Grothe would have made more metres.

Grothe probably would have made more metres than El Masri. Do you know how many times El Masri was forced to bring the ball back? It's laughable to suggest that Grothe would have made that much difference, particularly when it turns out we didn't need those metres.

Best man for the job? El Masri was the man that did the job. PROVEN. He came in, made no mistakes, defended well, scored a try, and kicked important goals. To argue against his selection after he successfully helped NSW win is - as I have been saying - ridiculous. It's a team game and he fit what the team needed.

Brett Kimmorley, Jarryd Hayne and Kurt Gidley
Rightio Colonel, no matter what you thought about one of my comments, or how dumb I thought something you said was, we've both been topped here.

Jarryd Hayne is an Origin goalkicker, is he?:crazy:
Mate, I doubt there's a Parra fan that doesn't love the kid, but he's never even kicked goals for his club. That's just plain stupid.

Kimmorley doesn't kick for his club either, and bottled his shots at goal in Origins past.
Gidley was barely on the field.

Imagine if the selectors had gone into the game with those guys as kickers and it had cost us? Imagine the uproar. Actually, the uproar probably would have been aimed at poor Noddy, seeing as though NSW fans need to bash someone in the team.

And yesterdays match was a dead rubber cos we had a chance of winning the series?
Way to twist the argument mate. You said that Qld did ok with Cam Smith and JT as kickers before JT was good. I said they lost series. I could have just as easily have said that they lost GAMES. No difference.

Goalkicking is important. Face it.

Let me spell it out monosyllabically for you, as you seem to have difficulty grasping the simplest of concepts. Eric Grothe was the best man for the wing spot and he was not picked. El Masri was not the best man for the wing spot.
ok, I understood the concept (it was quite simple), but what does monosyllabically mean? That word has too many parts to it. :sarcasm:

Once again, i ask you how Eric Grothe was going to affect the game better than El Masri did.

But you just said you could understand the argument? Therefore you agree Grothe was worthy of being there...
No, I never said that at all. I understood the argument, but disagreed.

Think about it from a selectors point of view.

Pretty much it comes down to these two unless you are going to take a wild punt at someone like Merritt.

You have Grothe - big, strong, can make you metres. Able to offload in traffic for second-phase play. When he hits he hits hard.
However, he is prone to having shockers. When he's bad he's really bad. He can drop bombs, throw bad offloads at the wrong times, and make terrible reads in defence.

El Masri - Dependable, professional. Won't make as many yards, or do as much damage. Will make less errors in defence and is safe under the high ball, if a little short. He is the best goalkicker ever.

Now, if you didn't need a goalkicker then you might be considering Grothe. Even then it's not a certainty because you are worried that if he has one of his shockers he will cost us the whitewash. You know that you have a superfast fullback and big centres and Hayne to bring the ball back. Also, with roughheads like Gallen and Bird, NSW won't lack for agression. Do you really need Grothe?

Now, if the selectors thought that Grothe's ability to trample people was necessary to win us the game, I'd say that they haven't picked the right forwards and halves, wouldn't you?

Add to this the goalkicking thing and it's a no-brainer.

it's not a stupid argument because El Masri was not the best man for the job in the first place, regardless of how he played (and that was not all that well either).
Que?

If he had scored 5 individual tries would his selection have been justified? Of course his performance on the pitch is now part of this argument!! That's where the game is played - on the friggin pitch, not in your head!

Whether El Masri was the best man for the job has been in dispute throughout the week, and he performed on the pitch. What else could he do?

If you seriously don't think he played well then - like I said - you are being stubborn, or stupid, or one-eyed.

FINAL WASHUP:

NSW 18 (El Masri 10) - Qld 6.

Grothe - No Origins, no City v Country, no rep games at all.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
The Colonel said:
Saying Grothe should have been picked is neither one-eyed, stubborn, or stupid.You yourself understood the argument but now you don't?
Colonel, I said to you that people STILL saying Grothe should have been picked are either one-eyed, stubborn or stupid.

One-eyed Eels fans.
Stubborn because they refuse to admit that they were wrong, and that Hazem coped just fine, and even had a positive impact on the game.
Stupid because they are attempting to beat facts (El masri played, did the job, scored the points) with fiction ("I think Grothe would have done a better job!!").

Which probably doesn't say much about me because I'm stupidly trying to convince them that they are being stupid :crazy:

Latest posts