What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMH: INU to quit NRL

jayjayselmes

Juniors
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/lhqmatchreport/eels-squeeze-out-rabbitohs/2007/07/16/1184438135557.html

DEEPLY religious Parramatta centre Krisnan Inu revealed after his finest first-grade performance yesterday that he is likely to quit the NRL to complete a two-year overseas Mormon mission.
The 20-year-old was outstanding in the Eels' 18-12 win at Parramatta Stadium, playing a leading hand in two of his side's three tries and deputising as goal-kicker with aplomb.
But the bright lights and adulation of being a first-grade star pale in comparison with his commitment to complete a mission as required by the Mormon tradition. According to that tradition, it is preferable for adherents to complete a mission by the age of 25, but Inu says he would rather go now and return to play before he is too old.
"Growing up in the church, church always comes first, then family, then everything else," Inu told the Herald. "I would love to serve the Lord. If I have to do the mission, I will.
"I will talk to my family and friends and make a decision. They prefer that I do the mission but they leave it up to me. They just advise me to do it before the age of 25, but for me, I would rather do it at a young age and then come back and work on my game."
Losing Inu would be a major blow to the Eels, with representative centre Timana Tahu having already signed with the Waratahs for next year and the Kiwi earmarked as an ideal replacement.
However, Inu wants fans and officials to understand that while he is a passionate league player, he was raised to have a different set of priorities. The level-headed youngster says he isn't concerned that a two-year break from first grade - just as he is on the verge of developing into a dominant figure - might debilitate his career.
"Two years is not a very long time for me," he said. "The main thing is that if I go, I will gain all the blessings. Growing up in the church, the mission was the biggest thing I had to do.
"I am grateful for the church, it has kept me level-headed and I concentrate on doing the right things."
Inu's father, Pepesuatia, is a bishop in the church and he told Krisnan on the eve of his Test debut for New Zealand this year that he would leave the decision up to his son.
Inu was at his best against the Rabbitohs in a man-of-the-match effort. He soared above Souths' defence to catch a Brett Finch bomb, then flicked the ball to captain Nathan Cayless, who stretched over for the first try after 21 minutes.

And in the second half he threw a precise cut-out pass to winger Joel Reddy, who dived over for Parramatta's final four-pointer. Inu also made a charging 40-metre break, kicked three from four goals, and spent time in the centres and fullback, where he was strong in defence, coach Michael Hagan noted later.

After the game, Inu was happy to discuss life off the field, and made the stunning revelation that he didn't know how his older brother died when Krisnan was just one.
Cheney Inu was killed in "an accident" when he was 11 years old. "To this day, I still don't know how he died, my family just told me he passed away in an accident," Krisnan said. "I don't push it any further. The best thing about it is that no one is ashamed to say we have an older brother. He is still very much part of the family."

Sean7

Juniors
Church comes first, then family... nice.

I used to do plenty of missions when I was a kid, but this one doesn't sound half as fun. There probably aren't even any guns involved, unless he finds an unbeliever or something.

Religion's a very sad thing indeed.

the_eel

Juniors
That's a shame for us if he decides to go and do his mission. Why do we seem to have this problem with bloody good young centres having to leave and complete 'missions?'

eloquentEEL

First Grade
It's a bit of a catch 22. If it wasn't for his church, he may not be the player he is today. If he doesn't go on his mission, then it may gnaw away at the back of his mind and affect his game over the next few years.

Unless he is completely at peace with a decision to delay his mission until after his playing days, then it's probably best if he does go and do it sooner rather than later (as long as he comes back to us and puts some of the things he learns during those 2 years, into practice on and off the field).

I'm no fan of religion, but I wouldn't hold it against him if he does take 2009-2010 off (I believe he's under contract for next year). Who knows, maybe Burt will be getting ready to hang up the boots by 2011 and Inu can be his "replacement".

Gronk

Staff member
Ok, all fixed. I just spoke to him.

God def wants you to play NRL Kris. ;-)

spiderdan

Bench
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

doesn't he know that god is just something grown-ups made up to scare kids - like the boogeyman and michael jackson.

strider

Post Whore
Gronk said:
Ok, all fixed. I just spoke to him.

God def wants you to play NRL Kris. ;-)
:lol:

see if you can get next thursday's powerball numbers out of him too Gronk - then pass em on ;-)

El Coconuto

Bench
Wow, it's been so long since I posted in here. But I noticed this headline on the front page and had to check it out...

Firstly, the report is a little misinformative. It isn't "required" of the mormon "tradition" to do anything. Encouraged yes, but required, no! No mormon missionary you see is there because he was forced to be there. It's his or her choice.

Secondly, it's not like he is going to come home without the ability to play footy as dominantly as he does now. I'm pretty sure he'll be looked after well wherever he goes. Shawn Bradley was in this same position, and he chose to serve a mission (which he served in Sydney, by the way) instead of staying at BYU, and came home to be the number one draft pick in the NBA.

I think Krisnan and the Eels will be ok whichever decision he makes. It's a win-win situation for the Eels. Either he stays and they win now, or he goes on his mission, matures more and comes back better than ever.

Good times to be an Eels supporter, really...

Stagger eel

Staff member
I will support the kid in whatever decision he makes, I've not met a nicer person in my life...he's a lovely good natured kid with a good heart.

imo Kris comes first, whatever makes him happy..

Avenger

Immortal
Oh well. that other centre from PL (that I cannot pronounce) will get a run while Inu is away

El Coconuto

Bench
Ditto, I talk with Krisnan a bit, and he's one of the most down to Earth people you will ever meet. So damn humble. Kudos, Kris!

Stagger eel

Staff member
Avenger said:
Oh well. that other centre from PL (that I cannot pronounce) will get a run while Inu is away

I think Kris will complete his contract which expires at the end of next year than go..

strider

Post Whore
he may be as good a player when he returns or he may not

who knows what will happen in the emantime? - he might find other things he likes and decide footy is not for him anymore???

and what is parra supposed to do? wait and see if he wants to come back, keeping/wasting several hundred thousand spare under the salary cap in the hope it all turns out right? ... tough call for our management i think

if he wants to go then good luck to him - its his life and he can do whatever he wants .... its just not great for our footy team :lol:

strider

Post Whore
Avenger said:
He will come back to us. he has too much credibility to do a lyon.
omg!!! - i'm not trying to say he is a lyon .... from everything i've heard/read/seen, I think Kris is a great kid and I have no doubt he'd show plenty of loyalty and want to return if he still wanted to play footy

but its still a tough situation for our management - do they turn down other potential good players to keep spare cap room? ... maybe - it might be easier to do that I think

Latest posts