What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMH: Keating future on hold

mickdo

Coach
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/keating-future-on-hold-but-eels-seal-a-deal-with-burt-20100317-qfpq.html

SMH said:
Parramatta chief executive Paul Osborne says Kris Keating has delayed contract negotiations with the club until he has a better idea of how he fits into the team.

That news emerged as the Eels confirmed winger Luke Burt had extended his deal. Burt, originally contracted until the end of this season and now tied until the end of 2012, said yesterday he was thrilled his future at Parramatta had been confirmed after it seemed only last year that he might be squeezed out.

The Eels have many players coming off contract this year, and Osborne is gradually re-signing those seen as priorities. Burt joins fullback Jarryd Hayne and five-eighth Daniel Mortimer, each of whom re-signed before the season began, while prop Fuifui Moimoi's re-signing will be confirmed soon. But salary-cap pressure is increasing.

Halfback or five-eighth Keating is another considered a priority, as is lock or five-eighth Feleti Mateo. Asked yesterday where things stood with those players, Osborne replied: ''Feleti we're talking to. Keating's manager wants to wait for a little while. Kris is a local kid. I think the Bulldogs are chasing him pretty hard, and I think they [Keating and his manager] want to see what his role is with us long term, whether he's in the starting side. Mateo wants to stay, and we want him to stay.''

The Bulldogs missed out in a big play for Mortimer, and have been linked with Keating and Mateo.

Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg said yesterday while the club regarded them as players of interest, it had decisions to make on the retention or otherwise of players before it could consider recruits.

''The retention situation should be a lot clearer in four to six weeks,'' he said. ''We haven't met with Kris or made him any offers, but he is one of the players on a list that our club is looking at. We see Kris as a talented footballer, and it's the same with Feleti.''

Keating is a part of the puzzle in the halves for the Eels that will be worked out as the season wears on. He was starting halfback at one stage last year, but his season ended early because of a broken jaw, and Parramatta went on to make the grand final with Jeff Robson at halfback and Mortimer five-eighth.

Eels coach Daniel Anderson stuck with the Robson-Mortimer pairing for the first game of this season, against St George Illawarra, with Keating on the bench. He has named the trio in the same positions for the game against Manly at Parramatta Stadium on Sunday. There is speculation Mortimer will end up at halfback and Keating at five-eighth, with Robson backing up the hooker and halves from the bench.

Included among other Parramatta players who finish their contracts this year are backs Eric Grothe and Krisnan Inu, and forwards Nathan Cayless and Brendan Oake.

Burt, who will play his 200th first-grade game on Sunday against Manly, said he hadn't ruled out playing beyond when his new deal runs out.

''I'm open-minded,'' he said. ''I'll only be 31 at the end of this contract, so if the body's feeling OK and the form's there, I'd love to squeeze another year or two in.

''It's always been my goal to stay at this club for good.''

Gronk

Staff member
f**king manager is putting pressure on Ando to pick his charge as starting 6 or 7. Let them play games and sign Feleti in the meantime.

Have I told anyone today that I hate the dirty Dogs ?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
so it look like a choice between KK and Robbo which is a no brainer for me

I guess its up to the players to play this one out,

may the best man win

Maroubra Eel

Coach
That's right Gronk. Seems Keatings manager is saying pick him in the halfs or he is going to Canterbury.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
or maybe thats what KK is saying, and he doesn't want to play at 14

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Also no need for kk to put an ultimatum to da about team selection. If he plays well enough he will get his chance. Just back yourself kk if you are good enough.

Kornstar

Coach
Can't say i blame the kid!

You can't begrudge someone a chance of getting the jersey they want.

Imo Kris is a starter not a bench player! The kid brained them all in the trials and then sits on the bench to start the season. Last year he had that hack Finch ahead of him and DA was also getting Hayne in the right headspace by putting him at 6. He finally got his chance and then he breaks his jaw!

I don't want him to go and i also understand why he isn't starting but if you are him and a team is saying they will give you equal or more money to come and start for them, what would you do? He played about 35 minutes last week, may have been less, in a position he doesn't necessarily want to play.

If the Bulldogs are offering better, he would be silly not to think about it!

I don't see it as holding the club to ransom or pressuring the coach either. It wouldn't even be news if the media didn't specifically ask Osborne about KK and his contract situation.

Bigfella

Coach
I think everyone involved is playing this right. It is not yet clear what his best position is, how he best serves this squad, or frankly, if he is a genuine long term first grader.

It would be mad for eels or dogs to make a long term plan for him either way at this stage. And he needs to figure out his best role and which club will offer that opportunity.

My fear for kk is that he could be a Jarrod sammutt type.
Genuine ge breaker at his best, can play a number of positions, but lack of size and ability to fit with the structure of the team make it hard to settle on a
position or even a starting position.

Hope I'm wrong but at the same stage of his career, panthers had even higher hopes for sammutt.

Anyway he has a full season in which he'll get plenty of chances to shine.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
we are on the verge of letting go of a proud piece of our future for a talent limited journeyman 28 year old rookie.

i will hold it against robbo forever if we lose kk.

bartman

Immortal
Interesting.

I'd be hesitant to re-sign too, if my role was a mere 30mins from the bench late in the game when the momentum has already been established.

Most of us have said we see Keating growing into the starting halves mix somehow in the first six weeks of the comp. Robson adds value to the team in ways that others don't, and needs to be in the mix somehow too.

We can't afford to lose either of them, and hopefully Kris will realise he is a part of the team and plans going forward, even after Robson leaves. Wait 5 more rounds, assuming KK will have had a taste of starting line up by then, and offer him a three year deal.

Good news about Mateo, seems like that one will be easy to sort out.

Stagger eel

Staff member
we are on the verge of letting go of a proud piece of our future for a talent limited journeyman 28 year old rookie.

i will hold it against robbo forever if we lose kk.

lol..you're on fine form aren't you??

nice to see that you won't go after DA for the decision HE will make.

Avenger

Immortal
I see plenty of potential in KK but to this date that is all he has shown in a disrupted and injury prone career. Robson will not be dropped. He played well against the Dragons. At this stage he deserves his spot. If anything all the pressure should be on Matt Keating. He was awful last Friday and it stood out like the proverbial in how much we miss Kingston.

For me KK is not a hooker and not a bench player. This is clear. He is wasted there.

You either put him at 7 or 6 and start him or in the NSW cup.

Anderson needs to bite the bullet and make a choice for the long term future.

For me it would be keating and mortimer in at 6 or 7 and Robson at 14 or in NSW cup. If Robson doesn't do well at 14 then give Anthony Mitchell a good go at 14.

Robson did well in DEFENCE last week but he did not offer much more... but neither did the rest of the team to be fair.

IMO make decision now and stick with it.

The Colonel

Immortal
A decision does need to be made however whether or not the bloke signs will have more to do with the signatures of Hayne, Mortimer, Moimoi and Hindmarsh IMO rather than a bloke that has effectively signed a two year deal worth probably next to bugger all. If Keating wants the position he should be putting in the effort for it and not waiting for it.....

Dymock

Juniors
No I disagree. The key point is that Keating wants to be the starting halfback. The guy standing in the way of that - in the nicest possible way - is Jeff Robson. Its not just the money issue. We could have cap space for 2011 if Cayless and Grothe don't re-sign. But thats another debate.

I do agree that Keating has to put the effort in. But then if he's only getting 30 minutes game time, then he'll be doing a fair bit of waiting. We'll see how this plays out.

carson

Juniors
I personally prefer the idea of DA selecting the team this week rather than KK's manager.

If this tactic doesn't work next week KK's mummy will be sending a letter to the coach telling him to pick her son or else!!!

Latest posts