What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMH: Keating future on hold

Just wanted to add that Keating has a quicker distribution or pass to the outside backs than Robson does. It seems that when Robson passes the ball it takes ages for him to Fire it out and by that time the defence is up in our faces.

For all the Robson lovers, I'm not bagging the bloke but going forward KK would be our best option at 5/8 and Mortimer half back IMO.

The Colonel

Immortal
No I disagree. The key point is that Keating wants to be the starting halfback. The guy standing in the way of that - in the nicest possible way - is Jeff Robson. Its not just the money issue. We could have cap space for 2011 if Cayless and Grothe don't re-sign. But thats another debate.

I do agree that Keating has to put the effort in. But then if he's only getting 30 minutes game time, then he'll be doing a fair bit of waiting. We'll see how this plays out.

He wants to be starting halfback and if he plays to his potential I think there would be few that would disagree that he should be. Fact of the matter is Robson played the better of our halves and our starting hooker on Friday night.

If Keating takes the opportunity he has and put his all in from the bench that should change if form warrants. Form from Friday night would suggest at the moment it doesn't.

I still believe the issue will come down to money - and how much the Dogs and Nth Qld really want him.

I personally prefer the idea of DA selecting the team this week rather than KK's manager.

If this tactic doesn't work next week KK's mummy will be sending a letter to the coach telling him to pick her son or else!!!

Sorry but this is really a stupid comment and very childish.

Who said it was KK's manager making the decisions?? Maybe it's KK himself who wants to know where his future is in the team? By hanging back and not making a decision now is the smart thing for him to do. I would do the same to do the best for ME and my future.

If he wanted to leave he could have signed with the Dogs already and pissed off. I take this as a positive not a negative.

ianlovesparra

Juniors
Let's just all relax a bit here. KK will be starting shortly, he just had to give Robo first shot because he has had the experience int he halves with Mortimer. Wont be long before keating is starting. I say round 5

carson

Juniors
Sorry but this is really a stupid comment and very childish.

Who said it was KK's manager making the decisions?? Maybe it's KK himself who wants to know where his future is in the team? By hanging back and not making a decision now is the smart thing for him to do. I would do the same to do the best for ME and my future.

If he wanted to leave he could have signed with the Dogs already and pissed off. I take this as a positive not a negative.

If KK was aware his manager was going to do this then he should be very embarressed.

If he wants to be in the starting line up then he needs to pull his finger out on the field.

Using his contract to put pressure on the coach is the action of a spoilt brat...very generation Y, wants everything now without putting in the hard work!!!

Last edited:

lingard

Coach
Totally agree with you Jake. A decision has to be made.

Looks like a decision has already been made - to start Robson as half back and Mortimer as five-eight, and ease Keating back into first grade. Anderson will then probably choose between the three of them what positions they will end up filling (der ). Looks like you guys don`t like that decision.

Last edited:

lingard

Coach
If KK was aware his manager was going to do this then he should be very embarressed.

If he wants to be in the starting line up then he needs to pull his finger out on the field.

Using his contract to put pressure on the coach is the action of a spoilt brat...very generation Y, wants everything now without putting in the hard work!!!

It`s just bloody paper talk. Who the hell knows what the real facts are? :roll:[-X Don`t crucify him just yet.

Last edited:

mickdo

Coach
If KK was aware his manager was going to do this then he should be very embarressed

From what I've seen (mind you, only from public comments from players in the past), many player managers don't consult with their player all that often about contract negotiations, not until things are near to being finalised

carson

Juniors
It`s just bloody paper talk! Who the hell knows what the real facts are? :roll:[-X Don`t crucify him just yet.

That's why I started with if and why my first reaction was to ridicule the article.

Besides I thought Knee jerk reactions and crucifying players was the entire point of this forum!!

Last edited:

born an eel

Bench
KK should talk to finch about how DA handles players wanting a guaranteed first grade spot. :crazy:

If he sees himself as a no.7 than he might as well just sign with the dogs as Morts is seen as the long term halfback. He will have to fit in to what ever role suits the team and just get on with it.

With so many players off contract at the end of the year, some players may be squeezed out as the money runs out or have to accept less than what will be offered elsewhere. If I were a player, I would rather be one of the first to sign than fight over what is left.

Dymock

Juniors
I'd be concerned if Keating didn't want a guaranteed first grade spot!

But anyway, we'll see how it all pans out. My thoughts are that Keating showed enough last year to suggest he warrants a starting position in the halves. And as much as I like Robson his defensive capabilities seem to be his main asset. In the longer term I see Keating as the half or 5/8 with Mortimer. But I can see the wisdom of easing Keating back in ... but then again if he doesn't get enough game time he can't settle in as half. Especially when its not clear who is hooker and who is halfback.

Can't say i blame the kid!

You can't begrudge someone a chance of getting the jersey they want.

Imo Kris is a starter not a bench player! The kid brained them all in the trials and then sits on the bench to start the season. Last year he had that hack Finch ahead of him and DA was also getting Hayne in the right headspace by putting him at 6. He finally got his chance and then he breaks his jaw!

I don't want him to go and i also understand why he isn't starting but if you are him and a team is saying they will give you equal or more money to come and start for them, what would you do? He played about 35 minutes last week, may have been less, in a position he doesn't necessarily want to play.

If the Bulldogs are offering better, he would be silly not to think about it!

I don't see it as holding the club to ransom or pressuring the coach either. It wouldn't even be news if the media didn't specifically ask Osborne about KK and his contract situation.
:thumb I agree, totally with you on this post.

hindy111

Post Whore
Yeah its make or break for matt keating.Id rather be keeping mateo than KK.
Morts halfback and mateo 5/8th.

natheel

Coach
Apart from trials kk hasn't really shown he can step up to be in the team robbo has if d.a thinks bench is best for kk till he gets sone form and experience then so be it
if he goes to dogs coz if his manager saying this sh*t then good ridden if I were him I'd rather have the opportunity of playing with my bro and a bunch of mates I've come through grade with even if I'm on the bench first grade is bloody first grade if he doesn't wNt that spot a young determined parra junior will

BrotherTJ

Juniors
IMO he should abide by that stereotypical line "I'll play where the coach needs me".

If he is not willing to do that, he can rack off for all I care.

84 Baby

Referee
There is a article in the daily telegraph that has popped up this arvo saying that Ben Hannant is looking for a release to return to QLD as he and his wife are homesick.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ay-quit-bulldogs/story-e6frexnr-1225842417082

I know the broncos has approached the dogs about taking over his contract.

This may fit in with the dogs plans to snare KK, Inu, Mateo. Hannant is on $350k a year
Except they are gonna need that $350k to get a prop seeing how Hannant is the only one they have. Maybe we should be worried about them signing Cayless now

eel4life

Juniors
1. Hayne

6. Keating
7. Morts

9. Keating

13. Mateo

This is a pretty good spine for a team and if this is the focus for our club then that will sell itself, hopefully the younger guys will see how and what it means to guys like burt, hindy, cayless.

they are the future of the club and Timana came back here because we have a great club, we are in for a great 5 year period things are looking good.

I hope at some time during the year Keating starts and he will shine this year, he was unlucky last year but he will be in our long term plans ...

Latest posts