What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMH: Keating future on hold

lingard

Coach
That's why I started with if and why my first reaction was to ridicule the article.

Besides I thought Knee jerk reactions and crucifying players was the entire point of this forum!!

Well......on second thoughts.....maybe you`re right. Kris Keating. f**kin` prick. :lol:

lingard

Coach
I'd be concerned if Keating didn't want a guaranteed first grade spot!

But anyway, we'll see how it all pans out. My thoughts are that Keating showed enough last year to suggest he warrants a starting position in the halves. And as much as I like Robson his defensive capabilities seem to be his main asset. In the longer term I see Keating as the half or 5/8 with Mortimer. But I can see the wisdom of easing Keating back in ... but then again if he doesn't get enough game time he can't settle in as half. Especially when its not clear who is hooker and who is halfback.

I agree. Surely, when Keating comes on he plays one or the other, but it seemed that they were chopping and changing. I don`t like that idea at all. Brian Smith used to do that with players and it really turned into a mess.

hindy111

Post Whore
I still think mateo has to go back to 5/8.He needs to touch the balls as much as possible.And i may have said in the past he should be lock but i dont think so.

lucablight

First Grade
How is K. Keatings passing and kicking game? From what I've seen he's great at attacking the line and supporting line breaks but I haven't really seen him put people into gaps or get repeat sets and set up tries through kicks.

parra pete

Referee
I'd be concerned if Keating didn't want a guaranteed first grade spot!

But anyway, we'll see how it all pans out. My thoughts are that Keating showed enough last year to suggest he warrants a starting position in the halves. And as much as I like Robson his defensive capabilities seem to be his main asset. In the longer term I see Keating as the half or 5/8 with Mortimer. But I can see the wisdom of easing Keating back in ... but then again if he doesn't get enough game time he can't settle in as half. Especially when its not clear who is hooker and who is halfback.

Robson is half back, M Keating hooker. It's up to the other Keating to change it by displaying a bit of form.
The highways are littered with blokes full of potential who couldn't take that final step

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
How is K. Keatings passing and kicking game? From what I've seen he's great at attacking the line and supporting line breaks but I haven't really seen him put people into gaps or get repeat sets and set up tries through kicks.

Iv thought the same thing, I also think the same thing about Mortimer, I yet still cant remember him putting a player through a hole, Sterlo has said the same thing before too.

I hope that with experience, both players will learn how to put players through holes better.

Just a side note, but IMO Mortimer ooozes halfback qualities and KK on the fringes at five eight is where he is at his best.

BrotherTJ

Juniors
Robson: Lead us to a grand final.

Keating: Played good in Harold Matthews

and people are calling for Robson's head why?

yy_cheng

Coach
Iv thought the same thing, I also think the same thing about Mortimer, I yet still cant remember him putting a player through a hole, Sterlo has said the same thing before too.

I hope that with experience, both players will learn how to put players through holes better.

Just a side note, but IMO Mortimer ooozes halfback qualities and KK on the fringes at five eight is where he is at his best.

Neither Mortz, Robbo or KK have really put people through holes. They are more runners who also distributes the ball and are good at backing up. None of them shows a quality attacking kicking game either. I would disappointed in one play where robson chipped into the in goal and I thought a grubber would've been better.

Really only Hayne does it. Burt to some extent.

Feleti does it too but not in the same manner.

Tim Smith was the last halfback who could throw does balls.

But once again, with our style of play. We do not need one. Or could not afford one. But I always think that if we did, we would be far better off.

Just like the way the dragons play and mix in what we do. It would be better than Melbourne.

100yearsRL

Juniors
I personally prefer the idea of DA selecting the team this week rather than KK's manager.

If this tactic doesn't work next week KK's mummy will be sending a letter to the coach telling him to pick her son or else!!!

That comment obviously shows how much you know about rugby league. Keating is a better player than robson and mortimer. You can't blame a player for wanting to get the best out of the game. He has been patient and waited and obviously one has to make a decision regarding ones future. Its time he looked after himself. There is one certainty you won't be making any decisions about your playing future.:p

BrotherTJ

Juniors
That comment obviously shows how much you know about rugby league. Keating is a better player than robson and mortimer. You can't blame a player for wanting to get the best out of the game. He has been patient and waited and obviously one has to make a decision regarding ones future. Its time he looked after himself. There is one certainty you won't be making any decisions about your playing future.:p

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Based on what???

He has done nothing in first grade. He is yet to prove he is up to that standard.

Its laughable that people think because Keating showed something in the lower grades, he is going to be the next Sterlo

Eelementary

Post Whore
You know, for a "hack", Finchy tore us a new one on Grand Final day and has played more Origin games than Keating...

Eelementary

Post Whore

How did you come to that conclusion? He suffered two major injuries last season, the only real football he's played has been in the trials (which y'all are quick to point out means nothing, rendering any argument about how well he played there moot) and the season is ONE WEEK old and he's already playing these games...

WA Eel

Juniors
Robson: Lead us to a grand final.

Keating: Played good in Harold Matthews

and people are calling for Robson's head why?

Fully agree. "Lead" or otherwise, Robson is a grand final half back. KK on the other hand has yet to hold down a first grade spot let alone prove anything.

However, he's still our "long term" half or 5/8 remember........ From memory, since the 2001 grand final, our "long term" halves have included both Witts, Tim Smith, Hodgkinson, Maloney and KK (have I missed anyone?). Of them, other than Tim Smith, how many have even managed to hold down a permanent 1st grade position, let alone be the messiah? If nothing else, at least Robson has proven himself to be a worthy first grader, which is more than a lot of our child prodigies can say.

Last edited:

Maroubra Eel

Coach

You sound like you know more than Daniel Anderson.

Latest posts