What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMH:Smith's the man to take over from me, says Cayless

Avenger

Immortal
Cayless not even mentioning Hayne tells me that there may be something in relation to the perceived problems with older and younger players.

strider

Post Whore
Cayless not even mentioning Hayne tells me that there may be something in relation to the perceived problems with older and younger players.
yeah, that thought crossed my mind too

perhaps there are concerns over hayne's longevity at the eels also??? - every renewal is a massive media circus - stay? go? stay? go? - maybe older guys, like caylo, like stability of a lesser player who doesn't have the "i can earn sh*tloads more elsewhere" accompaniment

Avenger

Immortal
I would make Hayne captain. He did more talking on and off the field during the semis in 2009 then Cayless has in 200 games.

In my view leads by example is only one part of the equation. Communication is a massive and integral part of leadership. Cayless may have been a great captain but he never struck me as a good communicator. I remember the talks behind the goal line that Ray Price would give to his Eels' players. Now that is what I am talking about. Get your point across and lead by example. I have never seen Cayless go off at the players, ever. Could be wrong though. Maybe I just prefer that style.

True EEL

Bench
i think it will come down to Hayne or Ben Smith......probably just depend on whether hayne really wants it or needs it??

hybrideel

Bench
i think Hayne needs to learn to respect officials a little more before he is considered. he get's warned almost every game about the way he is speaking to the ref. But if he can pick that up over the next coulpe of years i could see him becoming captain.

I don't think Tim Mannah can take over from Caylo. Saying that Poore and Fui stay, they would be our starting pack with Mannah on the bench so he can't lead from there.

On Ben Smith i just don't see him as a leader. He may well mix with both the older and younger players but i don't think he really does anything to lead. Sure he is playing good but he is not one to lead by example with a barnstorming run or an inspiring speech. He may pull off a good hit in defence but that is it.

About Hindy's comment it is possible he wont go out on the field under anyone else because from when Cayless retires until the time he does, he will be captain

Anyone Suggesting Hayne has obviously not heard the way he speaks to the Referees on Sports Ears. On more than one occasion he has been warned that if he opens his mouth again he was going to the Sin Bin. Seriously, a great talent but not close to captain material yet.

I would make Hayne captain. He did more talking on and off the field during the semis in 2009 then Cayless has in 200 games.

In my view leads by example is only one part of the equation. Communication is a massive and integral part of leadership. Cayless may have been a great captain but he never struck me as a good communicator. I remember the talks behind the goal line that Ray Price would give to his Eels' players. Now that is what I am talking about. Get your point across and lead by example. I have never seen Cayless go off at the players, ever. Could be wrong though. Maybe I just prefer that style.

I have seen it several times. I remember one time when we got beat in Melbourne. Jesus he gave them a spray.

Kornstar

Coach
Anyone Suggesting Hayne has obviously not heard the way he speaks to the Referees on Sports Ears. On more than one occasion he has been warned that if he opens his mouth again he was going to the Sin Bin. Seriously, a great talent but not close to captain material yet.

If the refs weren't completely incompetent i could understand but those worthless officials don't deserve to be treated respectfully, they certainly don't talk to the captains with any respect!

I am not for Hayne being captain either, just pointing out that the refs are at an all time low and need to pick up their act imo......

If the refs weren't completely incompetent i could understand but those worthless officials don't deserve to be treated respectfully, they certainly don't talk to the captains with any respect!

I am not for Hayne being captain either, just pointing out that the refs are at an all time low and need to pick up their act imo......

See I have been to a large number of games this year, and I would have to for the most part disagree with that. On the Coverage they seems to be quite disrespectful, but listening to them for the entire game along with the coverage, you can see that they are communicating quite a lot with the players and indeed the captains.

Kornstar

Coach
See I have been to a large number of games this year, and I would have to for the most part disagree with that. On the Coverage they seems to be quite disrespectful, but listening to them for the entire game along with the coverage, you can see that they are communicating quite a lot with the players and indeed the captains.

That's fair enough, i don't listen to sports ears at the game and i only see them when they are actually talking to specific players on all the other games on the weekend.

You can't disagree that the refs are awful though? Some of the decisions have been ridiculously poor. I understand why the players treat them like garbage!

Latest posts