What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smith Gone

The Nature Boy

Juniors
Panthers
Article from: </IMG> Canberra sign Penrith's Smith

By Josh Massoud | April 30, 2008 12:00am

<DIV class="article-body rank2" id=article-body> Heading back ... Penrith's Nathan Smith - a former ACT junior - has signed a deal with the Canberra Raiders. Photograph: Jeremy Piper / The Daily Telegraph

CANBERRA has today signed hard-working Penrith lock Nathan Smith to a three-year deal. An ACT junior, Smith began his career with the Raiders and will rejoin the Green Machine next season.

He left Canberra last year with coach Matthew Elliott, who tried desperately to keep the 25-year-old at the foot of the mountains. Smith has been Penrith’s most consistent player since he arrived, and has not missed game for the Panthers. He also won the club’s Best and Fairest Award last season.

The Daily Telegraph understands Smith was keen to remain a Panther, but could not afford to knock back Canberra’s handsome offer.

It is understood the Raiders have signed Smith as a replacement for Maroons back rower Neville Costigan, who is expected to join Gold Coast in 2009.

The Raiders have also agreed to immediately back-up half Michael Dobson to UK club Hull KR. Dobson will fly out on Monday <DIV class="group instory-dropzones">

The Nature Boy

Juniors
That depends on who is left we have already lost 3 first grade players for next year i would like to see some gains soon and resigning or extending the contracts of our juniors
before we lose them.

mxlegend99

Referee
If we can score a good player like Hannant, Shillington etc. that would be great... But i really don't care if we sign anyone from outside the club. Right now we could field the following team and it would do pretty well IMO:

1. Lachlan Coote
2. Geoff Daniela
3. Michael Jennings
4. Brad Tighe
5. Michael Gordon
6. Wade Graham
7. Jarrod Sammut
8. Adam Woolnough
9. Paul Aiton
10. Petero Civoniceva
11. Frank Pritchard
12. Trent Waterhouse
13. Maurice Blair

14. Masada Iosefa
15. Joseph Paulo
16. Tim Grant
17. Sam McKendry

- Experienced starting forward pack
- Explosive 1/6/7/9 combination, that is young
- Massive bench with a lot more talent/versatility then we currently have

The halves would be very young and might take a while to get going... but when they do you have a longterm solution.

If we can score a good player like Hannant, Shillington etc. that would be great... But i really don't care if we sign anyone from outside the club. Right now we could field the following team and it would do pretty well IMO:

1. Lachlan Coote
2. Geoff Daniela
3. Michael Jennings
4. Brad Tighe
5. Michael Gordon
6. Wade Graham
7. Jarrod Sammut
8. Adam Woolnough
9. Paul Aiton
10. Petero Civoniceva
11. Frank Pritchard
12. Trent Waterhouse
13. Maurice Blair

14. Masada Iosefa
15. Joseph Paulo
16. Tim Grant
17. Sam McKendry

- Experienced starting forward pack
- Explosive 1/6/7/9 combination, that is young
- Massive bench with a lot more talent/versatility then we currently have

The halves would be very young and might take a while to get going... but when they do you have a longterm solution.

Now that looks like one hell of a team!

I'd be more than happy to forego any signing from other teams in order to keep that team together.

I do agree with most that we need at least one more established prop and someone like Hannant or Shillington would be ideal.

As for Smith, I haven't been as critical as most here on his performances with Penrith. He's a toiler. Every club needs a toiler. Not game breaking, but definitely isn't our worst player either.

If they f**ken re-sign Worth..............:x :fist:

mxlegend99

Referee
Hopefully Shane Rodney comes back this season and works his way back to first grade... and we sign him on for 2009 (one year deal only).

He is the ideal lock for us.. but i really can't see him making a successful return to the NRL. He has the worst luck with injuries.

murraymob

Coach
Smith has copped a lot of flack.But he did his job in the team well.I agree with not giving him the sort of money canberra are paying i believe its $240k a season over 3 years.My concern is simple we will have a good 17 but what after that.Losing already Lewis ,Smith .Pulutua officially with Rooney and Priddis unsigned for next year.We do not have the depth to cover so many experienced losses. Our Dud ceo needs to start working

mxlegend99

Referee
We may not have as much depth as we did... but we don't have as much dead weight either. Our experienced players weren't doing their job. We locked up the blokes who were valuable. IMO the only thing our management has done wrong, is not target a marquee player... preferably for the halves or front row.

Big Mick

Referee
Should have heaps...

Smith, T.Puletua, F.Puletua, Richie Williams, Worth, Lewis, Rooney all gone....we should have plenty. Plus we would have front-loaded Civo's contract.

murraymob

Coach
:lol::lol::lol: Are you sure Worth was getting paid Mick.It was not by the meter gained thats for sure

PAPI

Juniors
I like Smith, sad to see him leaving Penrith. a good pick up for the Raiders, at a price though. Tongue and Smith in the same side ?

Fibroman

First Grade
Paulo will slot into lock, and Shane Blackett into the 2nd row to take over the reigns as the team workhorse along with Petero and Grant in the front row, with Woolnough coming off the bench and McKendry for impact. Nice balanced forward pack.

Dont no about Blackett into second row i think hes set himself as a front rower going on last years performances. With Grant and Mckendry those three along with Petro and Woolnough could have an awesome impact as a front row rotation.

I dont hink you will find paulo at lock, his energy tends to sap very quickly when having to make alot of tackles in the middle. Keep him fresh outwide in the second row and let him attack their edges with plenty of energy in the tank.

Pantha-Boy

Juniors
I am really dissapointed with that. Nathan Smith has coped alot of crap from this forum and i think he deserves a wrap. he has been a great help for the club and it is sad to see him go. Luckily we have alot of great players to fill in for him. Nathan Smith is a great player and i think we should have kept him in the team.

maple_69

Bench
For 240k a year though Panther Boy?
Throw in an extra 100k (Worth and R. Williams combined paypacket) and we could get a guy like Dallas Johnson...
He busted his gut every week but doesn't have the talent. Hopefully he is played in the backline at Canberra and we can see what he can do there.

Latest posts