What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smith To commit to Parra

Stagger eel

Staff member
Tim Smith is set to re-sign with Parramatta in a deal that will tie the halfback to the club until the end of 2009.
Eels management forwarded the terms of a contract offer to Smith's manager, David Riolo, at a meeting on Tuesday and Smith said last night he would meet with Riolo in the next few days.
"I want to sort something out with Parra as soon as possible," Smith said. "I've been in the system at the club for five years now, since I was 17, and it's my preference to stay.
"I don't like this contract negotiation stuff dragging on, either, if I can avoid it. When I feel sure about what I want to do in these situations I like to go ahead and do it."
Parramatta are keen to finalise an arrangement with Smith soon, so that rival clubs trying to find answers amid a shortage of quality halfbacks coming off contract at the end of this season don't get a decent crack at him.
There is talk in league circles that Brisbane were planning to make a play for the Queensland-born 22-year-old. Newcastle, coached by ex-Parramatta coach Brian Smith, were also rumoured to be interested.
But it looks like the Eels have what it takes to keep Smith happy - particularly since he is a big fan of Michael Hagan's coaching.
Smith said he didn't know what to expect when Hagan took over at the end of last season but was delighted with how it was turning out.
"'Hages' has been awesome," Smith said. "He's been a really good influence on me. You never know what's going to happen when a new coach arrives, but the best thing about the club for me at the moment is how much Hages is helping me.
"I'm really happy that I've had a couple of half-decent games in the last couple of weeks. That doesn't make a season, but the important thing is that I'm getting my confidence back. I'm improving. If you look at Parramatta and see the young players coming through, you've got to be excited about the future. I played junior footy with guys like Josh Cordoba, Feleti Mateo, Krisnan Inu and Blake Green, so it's even more exciting for me to see them hit first grade."
Riolo said there was every chance a contract between Parramatta and Smith would be finalised soon.
"There are a few things we're apart on, but a lot of things we're similar on," Riolo said. "And Tim seems pretty keen to stay, so I can't see it dragging on for too long. He's got a couple of other options if he wants to consider them, but it doesn't look like there are any big snags that will get in the way of doing a deal with Parramatta."
Asked about the progress of his partnership in the halves with five-eighth Brett Finch, Smith said Finch had been unfairly treated by critics.
"'Finchy' is getting hard done by," Smith said. "He's doing good things that don't get a mention. His defence has been terrific. Getting used to each other on the field is something we both have to work on and we're doing that. It's getting better all the time."

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/settled-smith-ready-to-commit-to-parramatta/2007/04/18/1176696914338.html

bartman

Immortal
Beat me to it Eela, just read that.

Good on Tim, settling this will do him the world of good, and his quotes seem to show that he's reaching a point of confidence.

Had to laugh at Riolo's comment about being apart on a few things, similar on others, but basically there's no problems. Player-managers are overpaid parasites...

eel4life

Juniors
Good boy Timmy, I hate the player managers but i guess thats what they get paid for.

Hages is good, and i am hoping this is the start of the future is securing our young talent.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
the thing I like about it is that its not a long term contract so we have our options open in 2010 when some of our younger halves will be pushing for a spot in the NRL so then we can make better decision about who we'll keep

not sure about the Finch comments, is he just being a good clubman or is he being genuine ?

wittyz chick

Coach
YAY!!! I'm happy \\\\:D/ [would prefer it official though] :lol:

Can anyone confirm the rumour from the Manly forum that they are chasing hard after Blake Green?? They are NOT allowed to touch him dammit!!

Stagger eel

Staff member
wittyz chick said:
YAY!!! I'm happy \\\\:D/ [would prefer it official though] :lol:

Can anyone confirm the rumour from the Manly forum that they are chasing hard after Blake Green?? They are NOT allowed to touch him dammit!!

wc...I would imagine that alot of clubs would be lining up for Blake and Feleti not just Manly...it's the nature of the beast, I'm affraid.

Gronk

Staff member
There is talk in league circles that Brisbane were planning to make a play for the Queensland-born 22-year-old. Newcastle, coached by ex-Parramatta coach Brian Smith, were also rumoured to be interested.

The way I read it Riolo is saying to those clubs who have made their interest known in the past to make their offers now otherwise they will miss the boat. Don't count your chickens kids.

eelavation said:
other than the SMH, you got me there?? :?

Exactly, the paper of repute in this city, or so it is called by a few people at Parramatta.

SMH are our friends, media wise and if something was going to be tipped off. I know who would get it first. . . .

Stagger eel

Staff member
MarkInTheStands said:
Exactly, the paper of repute in this city, or so it is called by a few people at Parramatta.

SMH are our friends, media wise and if something was going to be tipped off. I know who would get it first. . . .

True but the paper will always try and get a quote from the player and or his manager..but generally speaking that is correct.

eelavation said:
True but the paper will always try and get a quote from the player and or his manager..but generally speaking that is correct.

Which they have in this case and seeming with the Players Knowledge unlike another Tabloid we could mention.

Stagger eel

Staff member
MarkInTheStands said:
Which they have in this case and seeming with the Players Knowledge unlike another Tabloid we could mention.

yeah..it was brought to my attention by the Big C that the Grothe, Hindy, Caylo and Riddell re-signings were reported first by the Herald.

Bigfella

Coach
Interesting his comments about Hages.

I think letting tim know his place in the side was vital.

I think the thing JT never resolved last year was Tim's role in his side. Personally, I think that's why the side had a limit to how well it was going to get under JT.

I do think that for us to reach our full potential as a side we need Tim and probably Feleti given full rein.

The Colonel

Immortal
Timothy Aiden Smith said:
"I want to sort something out with Parra as soon as possible," Smith said. "I've been in the system at the club for five years now, since I was 17, and it's my preference to stay.
"I don't like this contract negotiation stuff dragging on, either, if I can avoid it. When I feel sure about what I want to do in these situations I like to go ahead and do it."

:clap:

:C: is on ice in readiness.

Latest posts