What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smith to sign with Souths

dubby

Bench
Well, I wouldn't be surprised. This is taking ages, and my gut tells me he's gone-ski. Another fine example of the urgency shown by our management. And an example of how much I love player-managers.

Guys, without J Smith, we have no 2006. This guy is our attacking cornerstone and brings so much creativity to the team. I've never seen him play so good as he has in the Raiders jersey, as he was always a 2nd-rower or lock elsewhere except maybe Hull. I think he would like to stay, but you can't blame him for getting the feeling he is getting the run around from us and his manager.

This makes me wonder how long ago we negotiated with Learoyd-Lahrs and Thurling? Did we spend too much thinking Smithy was all signed up?

We may have a monster pack next year, (this seems to be what Elliot likes, ast Bradford he based their game on size and winning the ruck) but we have very poor options in attack.

Lets pool our pocket money hey guys???

Stuart

Juniors
2006 might have to be a building year if Smith leaves, with Carney finding his feet in firsts while our young pack Gels and develops. I think Carney is going to be very exciting in the next few years, but he may not be up to running the team all by himself just yet.Anyway i wouldnt right off our 2006 chances just yet.

Mulch

Juniors
I hope its Tyron Smith not Jason. Cause Souths can have Tyron Smith for free.

hrundi99

First Grade
It wouldn't surprise me. If they don't get Anasta or Orford, they could probably give him something like $350-400k, which we just can't compete with.

ausraider

Juniors
No use getting all the good young prospects to club when there is no chief to get the best out of them on the battle field.Without J Smith all our buys are cactus.If there is no direction no matter how good the forward pack is the end result will be same.That is making up the numbers.I hope this is only rumour cos I will be there at the Headquarters with my 2 bob to protest if Smith goes.

Roy Rover

Juniors
I can't see him going to Souths. I think he'd only go to a team whch is one puzzle piece away from a premiership. And who is that team? Think about it ... Parra. Imagine Smith and Smith in the halves together! They could definitely win the comp next year. Plus there's the Coach Smith conection there as well. The Smith trifecta could be our undoing. I'm seriously worried though. The longer this drags on the worse things look.

Timbo

Staff member
I think he'll resign now...With our major signings locked up now I think they can talk bikkies with Smith.

This talk of him pulling out because of Sherwin is disturbing however.

Macko8

Juniors
to be honest imo i dont reakon he'll leave canberra,his already said his settled with his family here and quite likes it. Whats the use of moving again for another year. Besides he told us money doesnt worry him.Im tipping he'll stay,and if he goes its bye bye 2006.

raidersfan

Juniors
I pray to God he stays. It seems that we keep getting close but there must be 1 little detail that hasn't been sorted out. PLEASE STAY SMITHY!!!!!!!!!!

raider_ktj

Juniors
If he leaves... I think im gonna cry! But like most know... he has said himself he's only been here a year and his wife and kid are settled and he'd like to stay, moving them would be to hard...right??? God i hope he stays!!!

sydraider

First Grade
Just wishful thinking here but maybe he was just waiting to see what pack he would be playing behind next year and with these new signings, figures its more than worth his while.

I know, wishful thinking..........

Stay just a lil bit longer smitty!

Biglance

Bench
Smith wont go anywhere u are pretty safe id say he will either retire or re sign with u guys nothin else

dubby

Bench
I hope like hell he stays. Rumours flying everywhere about this at the moment.

I won't believe it until he signs however.

Chachi

Bench
Personally, I'm not too worried about these rumours. Whenever you hear about an unsigned player the usual suspects of Souths, Manly and Easts are mentioned. If Souths don't get Orford why would Smith move his family to go there just to get smashed all over the park for a year? Anyway, it would probably cost him whatever extra he earned just to move. From my understanding, the delay is more about negotiating his role after his playing days are over.